• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see you’re back to sensationalizing again. The deaths are heavily weighted toward the elderly with comorbidities and hospitals are lying about the true cause of death in many cases. We can’t trust the WHO or CDC cause they are liars, too. This virus does not pose a threat to mankind worthy of shutting down the economy and restricting freedoms. It’s time to move on.

This lying about deaths has been debunked so many times. My county has had 635 cases and 6 deaths. Now 2 of those died early on but werent confirmed until just a couple weeks ago.

Hospitals are not counting mass numbers of deaths falsely as covid.

no. I’m not responsible for someone catching a cold. If I have symptoms, I’ll do my part to keep it from others. Look, the goal is not to try to keep it from spreading, that is impossible.the goal was to not overwhelm the hospitals. We achieved that goal. Now it’s time for herd immunity. Wearing masks will only prolong the inevitable. You WILL catch the Wuhan virus eventually. The sooner the young people get it and develop immunity, the better for all of us.

no. I’m not responsible for someone catching a cold. If I have symptoms, I’ll do my part to keep it from others. Look, the goal is not to try to keep it from spreading, that is impossible.the goal was to not overwhelm the hospitals. We achieved that goal. Now it’s time for herd immunity. Wearing masks will only prolong the inevitable. You WILL catch the Wuhan virus eventually. The sooner the young people get it and develop immunity, the better for all of us.

Let me challenge your thoughts on this...

The prolonging the inevitable argument against mask wearing has some flaws but in the setting of herd immunity I understand your point but still disagree.

We could do better and have a nationwide effort to slow spread by wearing masks. As demonstrated in other countries, it works. Now I know you know this, but wearing masks would keep the peaks as low is possible. You say we met our goal, but hospitals are more crowded now than ever before so we are certainly trending away from out goal.

Your point is not missed and makes some general sense, but let’s assume we get a vaccine in January. Making an effort to decrease cases now will allow people to get vaccinated without a risk of death. Using a live virus and allowing it to spread to increase immunity in our population will cause mass death.

It’s also not known the active immunity the virus gives us after becoming infected. Many don’t have neutralizing antibodies, and it’s tho for any immunity from infection will only last 3-6mo.

Flu vaccines have demonstrated clinical immunity for a full 8-12mo, even at a 50% efficacy (the flu has had a longer time to mutate so that’s best case). Covid vaccines could have better efficacy because this virus just jumped species, so it hasn’t mutated like flu has.

Right now we have this unique opportunity to come together as a nation and save our family members lives. I highly highly doubt you’d try and champion an effort for natural herd immunity if your family member died from Coronavirus. There’s another way, we don’t live in 1918 — we have over 100 years of science and vaccine development on our side now.

My prediction is multiple vaccines will show efficacy and be produced. I think the Coronavirus vaccine itself won’t be hard to make in
and we will be ready for winter 21-22.

If we stop wearing masks now, this winter will be one of the deadliest winters if not the deadliest in our lifetime. Metropolitan areas in the south and west could end up like Italy and NYC because the cities have had time to develop their background infections over the summer just in time for fall when everyone goes back inside. We need to start our efforts now, not lift them.

Some on here will just never learn will they. Maybe we need to start locking folks up who disobey the mask orders. 10 days in jail might teach them something.

They won’t get it until someone in their family has a bad case or dies. Incapable of thinking about the real consequences until it happens to them. Imagine thinking a mask to protect your own family infringes on your rights. I can’t imagine being that self centered that my family members life is worth losing over my incompetence. Maybe these people have no one they care about, and in that sense, I probably understand.

Let me challenge your thoughts on this...

The prolonging the inevitable argument against mask wearing has some flaws but in the setting of herd immunity I understand your point but still disagree.

We could do better and have a nationwide effort to slow spread by wearing masks. As demonstrated in other countries, it works. Now I know you know this, but wearing masks would keep the peaks as low is possible. You say we met our goal, but hospitals are more crowded now than ever before so we are certainly trending away from out goal.

Your point is not missed and makes some general sense, but let’s assume we get a vaccine in January. Making an effort to decrease cases now will allow people to get vaccinated without a risk of death. Using a live virus and allowing it to spread to increase immunity in our population will cause mass death.

It’s also not known the active immunity the virus gives us after becoming infected. Many don’t have neutralizing antibodies, and it’s tho for any immunity from infection will only last 3-6mo.

Flu vaccines have demonstrated clinical immunity for a full 8-12mo, even at a 50% efficacy (the flu has had a longer time to mutate so that’s best case). Covid vaccines could have better efficacy because this virus just jumped species, so it hasn’t mutated like flu has.

Right now we have this unique opportunity to come together as a nation and save our family members lives. I highly highly doubt you’d try and champion an effort for natural herd immunity if your family member died from Coronavirus. There’s another way, we don’t live in 1918 — we have over 100 years of science and vaccine development on our side now.

My prediction is multiple vaccines will show efficacy and be produced. I think the Coronavirus vaccine itself won’t be hard to make in
and we will be ready for winter 21-22.

If we stop wearing masks now, this winter will be one of the deadliest winters if not the deadliest in our lifetime. Metropolitan areas in the south and west could end up like Italy and NYC because the cities have had time to develop their background infections over the summer just in time for fall when everyone goes back inside. We need to start our efforts now, not lift them.
I don’t know about you, but we spend most of our time inside cause it’s hot and humid outside. Also, will the vulnerable people be ok with a vaccine? If it’s only a 50/50 shot at protection? Sounds like everyone will have to wear masks indefinitely to ensure no vulnerable person gets sick. Also there is a huge cohort that never wears masks-children. Masks also invite people to touch their faces, which spreads the virus much more effectively. I don’t think masks are a good solution.

We have 297 cases out of a population a little over 73k in Jackson County. That’s just over .4%
Chatham is a little smaller and has near 1000 with almost 50 dead.
They are in New York City.
My buddy lost 38 co-workers to covid in New York, not sure of their age but they were still working

They won’t get it until someone in their family has a bad case or dies. Incapable of thinking about the real consequences until it happens to them. Imagine thinking a mask to protect your own family infringes on your rights. I can’t imagine being that self centered that my family members life is worth losing over my incompetence. Maybe these people have no one they care about, and in that sense, I probably understand.
Wearing or not wearing a mask does not mean a family member will or will not get the virus. Like I said, all will be exposed at some point. I will be the one determining what I wear, and if I decide to wear a mask at the request of another, it will be my choice, not one made by lying politicians pandering for votes.

The death numbers just aren’t that spooky. The virus has killed .0004% of the United States’ population. Spanish Flu killed .0065% of the US population in 1918. That’s over 16x as deadly. This is not the end of the world. We survived that one and we’ll make it through this one. View attachment 43425
Ah, but see you are able to look at the 1918 outbreak from afar and see that right now it’s numbers were worse because it’s over and done with it.
This isn’t over, and that’s the point. Keep this up, and the “but it’s not as deadly as....” argument will hold less and less water each time. Just like when people initially compared this to the flu and were citing 12 month flu death statistics against a (at the time) 2 month problem of
COVID. It was quickly realized that was a poor comparison cause COVID was more deadly. I believe the same will happen here with several of these other outbreaks and epidemics people keep comparing. Wait till this whole thing is over and see how many die before we compare, but I can tell you that the trajectory math is not in favor of your conclusion.

Wearing or not wearing a mask does not mean a family member will or will not get the virus. Like I said, all will be exposed at some point. I will be the one determining what I wear, and if I decide to wear a mask at the request of another, it will be my choice, not one made by lying politicians pandering for votes.

We have historical records to go on here. You whine and cry about freedoms and the govt taking things away. We see photos of complete mask compliance in 1918. People at a baseball game with everyone wearing masks.

Now tell me what long standing rights were taken away by that and what didnt those people get back after the mask orders were lifted?

I don’t know about you, but we spend most of our time inside cause it’s hot and humid outside. Also, will the vulnerable people be ok with a vaccine? If it’s only a 50/50 shot at protection? Sounds like everyone will have to wear masks indefinitely to ensure no vulnerable person gets sick. Also there is a huge cohort that never wears masks-children. Masks also invite people to touch their faces, which spreads the virus much more effectively. I don’t think masks are a good solution.

Yes we spend time inside during the summer, but it is widely known viruses become seasonal due to more people indoors during winter.

Mask wearing can ease once cases drop after a vaccine. We had an opportunity to slow the virus much like other counties have done. We don’t have that opportunity anymore, and people who don’t wear masks like yourself are the reason we are in this predicament.

The touch your faces argument is absurd. Wash your hands. People have itches on their nose and face daily and touch their face without a mask constantly. Wearing a mask makes you hesitate to bite your nails or pick your nose, because there’s a freaking mask there when you reach up to do so!

I’m assuming most people are like me. I just wanted to know if I had the damn virus so I could do my best not to spread it. I was told the ER had the ability to do a 1 hour rapid test but after checking into my room I was informed that I could not receive the rapid test. We needed quicker testing. Months ago..I honestly believe this has been the biggest hinderance in trying to slow this thing down. Some people are having to wait 5 days to get results back. News flash, most people are not staying home for 5 straight days.
My cousin and his wife are positive. She went and got tested Thursday then went to the grocery store! And she was sick???

"Wearing or not wearing a mask does not mean a family member will or will not get the virus”
• Well, not absolutely. You see, masks protect your family member from a sick person transmitting the virus to your family member. If everyone thought the same way you do, that person would easily transfer Covid to your family member because they weren’t wearing a mask. Thinking of it from the standpoint of wearing a mask to prevent catching it isn’t really the correct thought here, but at least with both parties wearing a mask it cuts down on it even more.

“Like I said, all will be exposed at some point.”
• likely not true if people were to wear masks. I’ve never been tested positive for flu, and in 1918 100% of the population didn’t get Coronavirus. We can prevent mass infection, it’s only inevitable because of the steps we are not taking.

“I will be the one determining what I wear, and if I decide to wear a mask at the request of another, it will be my choice, not one made by lying politicians pandering for votes”
• Sorry if this point is lost on me, as a healthcare provider I have no choice. I wear a mask for 9 hours a day and have to chew my food behind one and social distance to pull it down to drink a sip of water. So seeing people make proclamations of their rights and preventing to wear a mask to a very short trip to a store or social area is 110% lost on me and is just selfish. My patients have died. I’ve lost friends to this and I have gotten it myself and recovered. So, just be thankful you’re living in your own world with your right to not wear a mask.

Last edited:
We have historical records to go on here. You whine and cry about freedoms and the govt taking things away. We see photos of complete mask compliance in 1918. People at a baseball game with everyone wearing masks.

Now tell me what long standing rights were taken away by that and what didnt those people get back after the mask orders were lifted?
Are you sure the were ordered to wear masks or were they voluntarily wearing them to prevent themselves from contracting the virus?

You don’t want to get this virus. It’s like nothing else seen before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Wearing or not wearing a mask does not mean a family member will or will not get the virus”
• Well, not absolutely. You see, masks protect your family member from a sick person transmitting the virus to your family member. If everyone thought the same way you do, that person would easily transfer Covid to your family member because they weren’t wearing a mask. Thinking of it from the standpoint of wearing a mask to prevent catching it isn’t really the correct thought here, but at least with both parties wearing a mask it cuts down on it even more.

“Like I said, all will be exposed at some point.”
• likely not true if people were to wear masks. I’ve never been tested positive for flu, and in 1918 100% of the population didn’t get Coronavirus. We can prevent mass infection, it’s only inevitable because of the steps we are not taking.

“I will be the one determining what I wear, and if I decide to wear a mask at the request of another, it will be my choice, not one made by lying politicians pandering for votes”
• Sorry if this point is lost on me, as a healthcare provider I have no choice. I wear a mask for 9 hours a day and have to chew my food behind one and social distance to pull it down to drink a sip of water. So seeing people make proclamations of their rights and preventing to wear a mask to a very short trip to a store or social area is 110% lost on me and is just selfish. My patients have died. I’ve lost friends to this and I have gotten it myself and recovered. So, just be thankful you’re living in your own world with your right to not wear a mask.
My point is that to wear or not to wear should not be mandated in public. If you choose to work in a profession that requires, them it’s your choice. You don’t have to work in that profession. I said exposed not infected also. Not everyone will get infected before we reach herd immunity. Also, The health care leaders in our country lied about the use of masks at the very beginning so I don’t believe them anymore. I don’t think there is significant risk of spreading corona from a symptomatic people through droplets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back