• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who is a researcher at Wake Baptist health and she told me something I did not know about the origin and timing of this virus. She said that the Chinese destroyed the original research papers they had when this thing broke out and made it almost impossible to replicate the gnome sequencing that would have enabled us to possibly develop some treatment and mitigation procedures. She admitted they have had to basically guess about certain parameters because the original virus gnome mapping in the first month or so was destroyed by the Chinese government. She also said that as a virus mutates it normally weakens but there have been some cases where it actually got stronger as it mutates, and this one could go either way

What she says go against most science and virology. Viruses should strengthen as they mutate, because they’re cherry-picking defenses that are beneficial to them surviving through populations. Last I heard this wasn’t mutating much, it’s just antigenic drift, which only allows the virus opportunities to adapt to infecting populations better than initially.

Is this not the right thinking? This is basically what I learned in pharmacy school in my immunology and microbiology courses.

So China delaying school again over 3 cases? In all of chinas secrecy they cant hide how scared they are of this virus.

Absolutely no way we go back to school in the fall going at the rate we are going.

Plateauing or increasing cases heading into fall is literally the worst case scenario and it’s playing out right in front of our eyes.

At the pharmacy, we get ready for flu season in August, when we get our first flu shot shipments. That’s 2 months away we will have thousands of flu shots. 2 months!

There’s no time. I highly doubt we will see ncaa football and basketball. We’ll likely lock down again without a vaccine. Best case, a vaccine will be available mid-flu season or late flu season. Just bad stuff folks...

Absolutely no way we go back to school in the fall going at the rate we are going.

Plateauing or increasing cases heading into fall is literally the worst case scenario and it’s playing out right in front of our eyes.

At the pharmacy, we get ready for flu season in August, when we get our first flu shot shipments. That’s 2 months away we will have thousands of flu shots. 2 months!

There’s no time. I highly doubt we will see ncaa football and basketball. We’ll likely lock down again without a vaccine. Best case, a vaccine will be available mid-flu season or late flu season. Just bad stuff folks...
All because people jumped back to their normal lives too quickly and the protests as well. Far too much resistance and conspiracy peddling has only made this happen.

What she says go against most science and virology. Viruses should strengthen as they mutate, because they’re cherry-picking defenses that are beneficial to them surviving through populations. Last I heard this wasn’t mutating much, it’s just antigenic drift, which only allows the virus opportunities to adapt to infecting populations better than initially.

Is this not the right thinking? This is basically what I learned in pharmacy school in my immunology and microbiology courses.
Well I am not a doctor but she is so I don't really know. Her explanation was that viruses start mutating as soon as some people start developing an immunity to it in order for it to suvive, it mutates often redirecting its energy in a different direction, which often weakens the original virus. Now I am a layman and could be not explaining what she told me properly but I do know doctors in Italy, Spain, UK and some in the US propose this line of thinking tht is has weakened even though it is still active.

All because people jumped back to their normal lives too quickly and the protests as well. Far too much resistance and conspiracy peddling has only made this happen.

A perfect storm really, if you think about it. Memorial Day weekend had mass openings. Protests. Trump now rallying again. Political year so campaign efforts and primary voting will spread virus. Beaches and vacation cities back to 100% during vacation season. People now returning to climate controlled office settings.

With Roy Cooper mentioning maybe phase 2.5 or 3, he’s obviously focused on hospital overload right now, not flattening the curve. With that said, we could stay open for a while but once hospitals get overloaded, locked down we go.

But, but, but we gotta save the economy!

A perfect storm really, if you think about it. Memorial Day weekend had mass openings. Protests. Trump now rallying again. Political year so campaign efforts and primary voting will spread virus. Beaches and vacation cities back to 100% during vacation season. People now returning to climate controlled office settings.

With Roy Cooper mentioning maybe phase 2.5 or 3, he’s obviously focused on hospital overload right now, not flattening the curve. With that said, we could stay open for a while but once hospitals get overloaded, locked down we go.
I don’t see states going backwards now, it would really F up everything . Just my opinion.

We won’t go backwards. Al least Georgia won’t.

I don’t see states going backwards now, it would really F up everything . Just my opinion.

Never say never. People here are coming out a lot more than they were and less and less are wearing a mask as time moves on. If the death rates start to go up and hospitalizations as well then backwards we will have to go if the hospitals start taking on people fast.

Never say never. People here are coming out a lot more than they were and less and less are wearing a mask as time moves on. If the death rates start to go up and hospitalizations as well then backwards we will have to go if the hospitals start taking on people fast.
True but I’ll keep hoping this surge is temporary. I don’t want to have too home school my kids again. Teachers don’t get paid enough.

Not any time soon. Going backwards is months away, but I think it happens. It will become apparent masses are getting sick. I think it’s apparent now, everyone knows someone impacted. Several of my patients have died from it and I work a small town pharmacy. But the fall and winter will likely be a second and possibly bigger peak — and this is probably inevitable due to available testing, it should allow for tenfold daily tests.

Maybe not complete shutdown but I can see restaurants closing again. But yes, it will depend on the states because the WH won’t do anything nationally.

Yea but Kemp won’t do it here. He was the 1st to start the re opening so he can’t turn back. Now we just wait and see how bad it gets. Hopefully this surge doesn’t last too long.

It's a pretty sad State of Affairs when Pride and not wanting to look bad overcomes the desire to do the right thing if it's needed

Not any time soon. Going backwards is months away, but I think it happens. It will become apparent masses are getting sick. I think it’s apparent now, everyone knows someone impacted. Several of my patients have died from it and I work a small town pharmacy. But the fall and winter will likely be a second and possibly bigger peak — and this is probably inevitable due to available testing, it should allow for tenfold daily tests.

Maybe not complete shutdown but I can see restaurants closing again. But yes, it will depend on the states because the WH won’t do anything nationally.
I know this isn’t the political thread, but I would think the reaction out of Washington will be determined by the election results

I'd like to know what people think the social and economic ramifications are of lengthy lockdowns returning and how we expect to deal with 20% unemployment, businesses gone, schooles closed, supply chains broken, and a government system that is incapable of meeting all of the needs that will arise en masse.

My guess is that chaos, crime, poverty, rioting, etc. will all rise substantially. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back