• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AP: More deaths, no benefit from malaria drug in VA virus study

---

A malaria drug widely touted by President Donald Trump for treating the new coronavirus showed no benefit in a large analysis of its use in U.S. veterans hospitals. There were more deaths among those given hydroxychloroquine versus standard care, researchers reported.

Researchers analyzed medical records of 368 male veterans hospitalized with confirmed coronavirus infection at Veterans Health Administration medical centers who died or were discharged by April 11.

About 28% who were given hydroxychloroquine plus usual care died, versus 11% of those getting routine care alone. About 22% of those getting the drug plus azithromycin died too, but the difference between that group and usual care was not considered large enough to rule out other factors that could have affected survival.

Hydroxychloroquine made no difference in the need for a breathing machine, either.

Researchers did not track side effects but noted hints that hydroxychloroquine might have damaged other organs. The drug has long been known to have potentially serious side effects, including altering the heartbeat in a way that could lead to sudden death.

Is the average patient getting hydroxychloroquine sicker though? Are they tending to use it on more seriously ill patients? If so, you’d expect more people getting the drug to die.

Interesting info from NY ER doctor.
"Even patients without respiratory complaints had Covid pneumonia. The patient stabbed in the shoulder, whom we X-rayed because we worried he had a collapsed lung, actually had Covid pneumonia. In patients on whom we did CT scans because they were injured in falls, we coincidentally found Covid pneumonia. Elderly patients who had passed out for unknown reasons and a number of diabetic patients were found to have it.

And here is what really surprised us: These patients did not report any sensation of breathing problems, even though their chest X-rays showed diffuse pneumonia and their oxygen was below normal. How could this be?"

"click the link to read the details, but the short answer turns out to be that COVID-19 attacks the lungs in an unusual way: it causes the air sacs to collapse and oxygen levels to fall, but the lungs still expel carbon dioxide normally. Since it’s carbon dioxide buildup that causes you to feel short of breath, patients had never even noticed anything was wrong:"

"A vast majority of Covid pneumonia patients I met had remarkably low oxygen saturations at triage — seemingly incompatible with life — but they were using their cellphones as we put them on monitors….Patients compensate for the low oxygen in their blood by breathing faster and deeper — and this happens without their realizing it….By the time patients have noticeable trouble breathing and present to the hospital with dangerously low oxygen levels, many will ultimately require a ventilator."
"20 percent develop pneumonia and many end up on ventilators and eventually die. The problem is that they don’t feel anything for the first week, and by the time they do it’s too late. So how can we catch these cases earlier? With this: a pulse oximeter, and it measures the level of oxygenation in your blood. You probably get a quick oxygenation test every time you see a doctor. So the answer is: test your blood oxygenation every day. If it falls below normal levels, get to an ER and get tested for COVID-19. Your chances of survival are way higher if you can get to it early."

Some phones have a pulse-ox app you can download. You hold your finger up to it and it gives a reading......not sure of accuracy though.

Some phones have a pulse-ox app you can download. You hold your finger up to it and it gives a reading......not sure of accuracy though.

I didn’t know this. I’ve been looking for a pulse oximeter and every brick and mortar place is out of them.

I didn’t know this. I’ve been looking for a pulse oximeter and every brick and mortar place is out of them.

Newer phones have them built into their health apps. You just hold your finger up to the camera.......one journalist from thentkdsy shows husband was a positive case and that's what their doctor had him doing to check his oxygen levels.

I just found mine. Apparently. I'm stressed lol

Great saturation though (99%)! Do you know if apps for older phones are decently accurate? The cost is $5 vs $30-50+ at brick and mortar for real thing when available.

Great saturation though (99%)! Do you know if apps for older phones are decently accurate? The cost is $5 vs $30-50+ at brick and mortar for real thing when available.

My Samsung i have came with a Samsung health app and it's free using that. iPhones have it as well as apple watches.

My Samsung i have came with a Samsung health app and it's free using that. iPhones have it as well as apple watches.

I’ve got an “ancient” IPhone (5S) (over 6 years old) and the health ap that comes on the phone doesn’t measure anything.

Yeah, I'm curious about how accurate they are myself. Hopefully fairly good and at least close enough to see if it warants concern.

Yeah, I'm curious about how accurate they are myself. Hopefully fairly good and at least close enough to see if it warants concern.

If i take it 10 times and all.10mtimes it's at 99% and then on turn 11 its 85% I would be worried. I think checking it regularly would give you a base average?

Impossible pretty sure I have been told DOZENS of times this is not as bad or deadlier than the flu.....I mean remember all the other times they had to use mass graves in NYC to handle all the unclaimed dead from the flu, or the dozens of refrigerator trucks behind the morgue to hold all the flu dead…..oh yeah me either.....

HART-ISLANDS-NEW-YORK-MASS-GRAVES-COVID-19-VIRUS-OUTBREAK.jpg

This is a stock market related show but still interesting, as I was watching Jim Cramer's Mad Money show, he presented some compelling info from a chartist about the possibility that the US might be able to reopen in 3 weeks because we might be about to start a downtrend.

Now that REALLY makes me hope that the decision to start opening a few days from now in Georgia doesn't have a spectacular backfire.

Damn ... Alachua County just recorded its 1st Covid-19 death ... I remeber just a few weeks back when the 1st case was reported ...
This is a stock market related show but still interesting, as I was watching Jim Cramer's Mad Money show, he presented some compelling info from a chartist about the possibility that the US might be able to reopen in 3 weeks because we might be about to start a downtrend.

Now that REALLY makes me hope that the decision to start opening a few days from now in Georgia doesn't have a spectacular backfire.

??
Boom ...

Nothing to see here; except more and more preliminary results from studies underway are showing the actual infection rate to be substantially higher than currently reported thus the probable death rates are substantially lower than currently reported.

Time will tell; the truth does find a way to surface..

Opening up eating establishments is like lighting the fuse on a stick of dynamite.....those places are major germ transfer locations and even with increased measured one or two asymptomatic infected servers can infect dozens of people per shift.....the good news for other states is we get to watch a few weeks and see if GA crash and burns....so thanks for taking one for the team :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back