• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From 1918-9 pandemic, you can see how much better SL fared than Phil. This was largely due to much earlier restrictions. Reopening too quickly and extensively is a crucial factor, too:

1587420803654.png

Yeah but we should face it in a manner that puts the odds in our favor.

If you have to go over the edge of a cliff are you going to jump off without a parachute or wait for repelling ropes and equipment? You have to face going over the edge eventually right?
The grizzly is homelessness, hunger, domestic abuse, child neglect and eventual social fabric unraveling. There is always a "grizzly" otherwise you wouldn't be jumping off a cliff.

yeah, damage to the economy is probably a severe depression already. At this point we are talking about how many years. Gotta stop the bleeding. Homelessness, poverty, and malnutrition is going to shorten the lifespans of a lot of people if we don’t get the economy going fast.

According to SC dept of health, my town, Mt Pleasant has 98 reported cases, and 550 estimated cases out of 80k+ population. I think you should be able to go to your state Department of Health site you should be able to see by ZIP code.

yeah, damage to the economy is probably a severe depression already. At this point we are talking about how many years. Gotta stop the bleeding. Homelessness, poverty, and malnutrition is going to shorten the lifespans of a lot of people if we don’t get the economy going fast.

I agree, I'm just hoping that this isn't a bit too soon. I wanted to wait until about around May 15th and let the big hospitals in the state do their work in putting out tests (make more progress) and the antibody test that Emory was working on. I would've reopened businesses about around then with social distancing put in place. I don't think you can stay closed down for months, but you need some balance.

But now that it's going to happen sooner, although what I put above in my first post here after I heard about the decision is true, I just hope that we don't truly get bitten hard. As I'd like to stay open now as long as it's possible.

And admittedly if we do stick with being open, we're going to go see our family that has health risks sooner rather than later lol...

Just eye balling it looks like new cases is decreasing.

4/5-10: 6k
4/10-15: 5k
4/15-20: 4k
'till you factor in the recovery rate + new = what's floating around

do not get me wrong ... I want this to end and get folks back to work tonight ... I'm on the back end ... a "lagging indicator" you may say ... my pay comes 2 months after others get theirs ... but by God I want my folks who trust me with their work to be alive and healthy and up and working steadily, and not fighting a real long or up-and-down "recovery" ... and the ones I've talked to would forego 4 or so more weeks to beat 4 or so more months, or a repeating cycle ... it's basic business acumen ...

'till you factor in the recovery rate + new = what's floating around

do not get me wrong ... I want this to end and get folks back to work tonight ... I'm on the back end ... a "lagging indicator" you may say ... my pay comes 2 months after others get theirs ... but by God I want my folks who trust me with their work to be alive and healthy and up and working steadily, and not fighting a real long or up-and-down "recovery" ... and the ones I've talked to would forego 4 or so more weeks to beat 4 or so more months, or a repeating cycle ... it's basic business acumen ...

I agree with you. I wish we could stay lockdowned until vaccine is released. But, I know that’s not realistic, have to hope for the best and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Jackson county where you live has 55 cases and one death out of 73k people in the county.

Judging by the lines at HD, Lowe’s and Wal-Mart the past month people around here never worried about it. Glad we are opening back up just in time for summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judging by the lines at HD, Lowe’s and Wal-Mart the past month people around here never worried about it. Glad we are opening back up just in time for summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is so true, the places around here have been packed. Heck opening things back up might actually increase social distancing because they’ll have more places to go lol

Obviously the higher risk folks should continue to be careful but it doesn't matter how long we stay shut down; when it opens up no matter when there will be cases. Two options; Vaccine (who knows how long) or Herd immunity.

Door #3 which has already been used has quite possibly destroyed the economy.

For those interested, at least in my area some salons (and maybe small businesses?) are having to reopen when they can Friday instead of choosing to stay closed if they want because they failed to get unemployment or small business grants. Saw my hairdresser talk about that.

And honestly I'll probably see about going soonish. My spot posted their social distancing guidelines and it's pretty strict. I can wait a little while longer but I'll likely need to message her soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back