Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like where your head is at. The elderly need restraining orders against their grandchildren. The penalty for noncompliant juvenile delinquent shall be one plate of asparagus and two plates with only broccoli.
Well with my mom we have stayed away. Surely most are doing the same with the elderly.

Well that was the case but some say younger people can die also. Plus remember the younger ones carry it home to the older parents. In other words we are ALL going to be exposed eventually. So live in fear or live each day happily. I choose the live each day happily and not in fear.

You keep bringing up living in fear. Maybe some people like my mom are afraid of catching this dying. They arent ready to leave their families just yet.

Maybe you dont intend for your post to come across as "screw the elderly let them catch and if they die then that was necessary for the economy"

To be honest I'm not sure what to make of your post sometimes.

Some positive COVID 19 news. This week’s edition includes scenes from the Alamance County tornado:

Reactions: Rain Cold
You keep bringing up living in fear. Maybe some people like my mom are afraid of catching this dying. They arent ready to leave their families just yet.

Maybe you dont intend for your post to come across as "screw the elderly let them catch and if they die then that was necessary for the economy"

Yeah but you come off as "screw the young, middle-aged, and the future generation". Everyday we don't get the economy and schools rolling is another day of burden, financial disaster, and lost opportunity for everyone else.

The elderly are the most suitable group to live in quarantine. Most of them have the financial or government support to make that sacrifice, and they benefit by the rest of us going to work via their stockholdings and retirement investments. If their children want to visit them, they could still do so by taking the maximum amount of precautions: shower beforehand, masks, don't touch your face, wipe everything you touch, etc. etc. This argument between shutdown and opening the economy is a false dichotomy that causes people to overlook the very real compromise between both extremes.

Reactions: Bham 99
Yeah but you come off as "screw the young, middle-aged, and the future generation". Everyday we don't get the economy and schools rolling is another day of burden, financial disaster, and lost opportunity for everyone else.

The elderly are the most suitable group to live in quarantine. Most of them have the financial or government support to make that sacrifice, and they benefit by the rest of us going to work via their stockholdings and retirement investments. If their children want to visit them, they could still do so by taking the maximum amount of precautions: shower beforehand, masks, don't touch your face, wipe everything you touch, etc. etc. This argument between shutdown and opening the economy is a false dichotomy that causes people to overlook the very real compromise between both extremes.

I'm not for extended lockdowns. I highlighted my reopening plan lastnight in the political thread.

As far as the me saying screw the young that's not it at all. I've been through the .com crash, post 911 crash and the great recession and I have recovered every single time. People who struggle now at a young age are just walking in the shoes that most of us middle aged guys and gals already have. We survived and so will you. It might be hard and uncomfortable for a short period of time. You might not get that iPhone 11 for $1500 this year but you will survive.

I will guarantee you the 35k dead Americans can not recover 1 single bit from this like you will.

I'm not for extended lockdowns. I highlighted my reopening plan lastnight in the political thread.

As far as the me saying screw the young that's not it at all. I've been through the .com crash, post 911 crash and the great recession and I have recovered every single time. People who struggle now at a young age are just walking in the shoes that most of us middle aged guys and gals already have. We survived and so will you. It might be hard and uncomfortable for a short period of time. You might not get that iPhone 11 for $1500 this year but you will survive.

I will guarantee you the 35k dead Americans can not recover 1 single bit from this like you will.

Wow. 9/11 and the .com crash? You must be joking. Tell me you're joking. You might have impressed me if you said Chernobyl. You have never seen anything like the coronavirus.

And just an FYI, I'm not struggling at all. I love working from home. I bill 12-14 hours each day, and hit overtime pay every Thursday morning. I'm more concerned about the young and middle-aged Americans that can't even leave their homes to keep or find a job. They can't afford housing, and they can't even move in with their parents to start over. There aren't any options.

I can guarantee you that if elderly people practice social distancing from the working class of this country, they won't put themselves in danger. The onus should be on them to keep themselves safe in their own homes.

Wow. 9/11 and the .com crash? You must be joking. Tell me you're joking. You might have impressed me if you said Chernobyl. You have never seen anything like the coronavirus.

And just an FYI, I'm not struggling at all. I love working from home. I bill 12-14 hours each day, and hit overtime pay every Thursday morning. I'm more concerned about the young and middle-aged Americans that can't even leave their homes to keep or find a job. They can't afford housing, and they can't even move in with their parents to start over. There aren't any options.

I can guarantee you that if elderly people practice social distancing from the working class of this country, they won't put themselves in danger. The onus should be on them to keep themselves safe in their own homes.
the "elderly people" raised us, clothed us, fed us, paid for us ... let's just relegate them to isolation in thanks ...

Government support?

Ok let me think how to word this. I said earlier that hopefully most are respecting to not go near the elderly. As I am not going close to them. My mom goes out and wears her mask and gloves but practices social distancing. She is not ready to leave her family either but she said I can die sitting at home also. She is high risk. Now this does not apply to all elderly. I am not saying screw the elderly. It’s sad to lose loved ones but let’s say someone’s parents live in assisted living and the children who take care of them lose their income. How do they pay for that care for their care? Or they live at home with their kids and they lose their homes because of no income? Shaggy what are we to do? No money means no way to take care of those we love or take care of our families including kids. I understand every single life matters but having no economy means losing lives also. So you say stay closed and open up slowly. I’m for that but the virus is still here. What happens when we shut down again? I apologize to all who think I don’t care but wo money we can’t take care of anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
the "elderly people" raised us, clothed us, fed us, paid for us ... let's just relegate them to isolation in thanks ...
They already are in isolation. Everybody is in isolation. You see that rectangular things with the screen by your side? That's your phone. Give your Grandma a call and she won't be lonely. Like we should cause people significant suffering cause old people will be lonely? Grow up.

Reactions: Uncwmark
Government support?
Rosie there is not enough money for govt support. The more spent now the more hyperinflation and higher taxes. We are all going to pay dearly for this now. In 2-5 years prices and taxes and interest rates will be something we never thought we would see. It’s a double edge sword unfortunately.

Reactions: VegasEagle
They already are in isolation. Everybody is in isolation. You see that rectangular things with the screen by your side? That's your phone. Give your Grandma a call and she won't be lonely. Like we should cause people significant suffering cause old people will be lonely? Grow up.
You completely missed my point ...
and by the way ... I'm "grown up" ... :cool:

I get what you are saying, however, it's just not possible. Our government cannot support everyone for that length of time. We have to get back to work. Our police and fire departments need our taxes. Our elderly parents need our social security payments to survive. The government needs us to get back to work. Don't be deceived, there is a tipping point at which there will be no recovery. I don't know where that point is, but I am not willing to find out. Are you? We are all concerned about our elderly relatives, but if we don't get back to work, the infrastructure that supports them will fail. Can you say catch 22 ....

Reactions: Deleted member 527
SD I’m curious what do you feel we should do? I apologize you feel I don’t care.

I paid for my SS.
But they said today it’s running out. So what happens when it does.
Look at the protests starting to break out everywhere. You are approaching that tipping point where there is no return. People suing the gov of Michigan. It’s starting to get ugly real fast. I was laughed at for saying it would get this way. Well look at rights being stripped away. Money disappearing. It’s not gloom and doom. It’s reality that we are staring at. People get desperate they do desperate things. Pray hard everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
Reactions: Shaggy
Rosie there is not enough money for govt support. The more spent now the more hyperinflation and higher taxes. We are all going to pay dearly for this now. In 2-5 years prices and taxes and interest rates will be something we never thought we would see. It’s a double edge sword unfortunately.
There is no government support, I paid for my SS working for 40 years.

Reactions: Shaggy
You completely missed my point ...
and by the way ... I'm "grown up" ... :cool:

No. I got your point. I just don't agree that I have to isolate with mom and dad I can help them out by buying them groceries and clothes in return for those many years when they clothed me and fed me. I can also alleviate their loneliness by giving them a call every day from my office building. However, people can't just sacrifice everything for their parents, especially when they have children of their own to raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.