• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But at the same time, doesn't this actually decrease the fatality rate? We know people who died from the virus are in the statistics but people that haven't yet been tested are not. So in reality there are a lot more people infected and that decreases the overall fatality rate. Am I looking at that the correct way? I'm not like some of you geniuses on here WHO know EVERYTHING ?
Sadly no. The death rate has been bouncing between around 3 and 4 percent each time the numbers update. Deaths keep going up and the test-positive percent is currently at 26%

We are going to see a 2nd spike regardless....unless they keep restrictions in place until a vaccine is approved and administered. A vaccine is probably 12+ months out and the national/local governments are not going to keep restrictions in place for 12 more months. But once cases subside they will loosen things up, maybe not back to where it was but it will loosen up. These restrictions are helping to keep hospitals overrun and gives more time to prep (masks/ventilator/etc...). I think early to mid-May states like NC will see things loosened up.
Agree, except I'm betting it will be June 15th on the larger scale; everyone wants back to work but nobody can rationally afford another 10 week hiatus once the system gears back up if a 2nd wave were to occur due to a too soon lessening of restrictions; I'm figuring that will be an undercurrent in the corporate thinking moving forward ...

In many pandemics and epidemics, a second surge of cases is inevitable as restrictions are lifted and those that are either asymptomatic or not fully recovered come into contact with the public. The longer restrictions are in place the less prominent the second surge will be. I'm willing to say the worst of this will be over by June, and normal life can for the most part resume.

Agree, except I'm betting it will be June 15th on the larger scale; everyone wants back to work but nobody can rationally afford another 10 week hiatus once the system gears back up if a 2nd wave were to occur due to a too soon lessening of restrictions; I'm figuring that will be an undercurrent in the corporate thinking moving forward ...

In many pandemics and epidemics, a second surge of cases is inevitable as restrictions are lifted and those that are either asymptomatic or not fully recovered come into contact with the public. The longer restrictions are in place the less prominent the second surge will be. I'm willing to say the worst of this will be over by June, and normal life can for the most part resume.

I also think the general population will be more careful...masks, washing hands, avoiding crowds, travel... so even loosening up mid-May/June will still keep things in check. Personally, I probably won't differ much than I'm doing now. Places that don't have mass transit as a way of life will be helpful too.

I’d like to mention that while they’re vastly different, there were 3 waves of the Spanish flu. One in Spring of 1918, The Fall of 1918, and the Winter of 1918. The fall wave being the deadliest of the 3.

yeah but....329 deaths now. Sixth most in the nation and hardly a peep from the media.
It's running rampant in the nursing homes around us so I would guess a good many of the deaths are going to be from them. I know the National Guard was in Cartersville helping clean ours yesterday.

Why would the media need to give it any more attention? Everybody knows what they need to k is by now. It’s bad, stay inside when you can. Not much else to say at this point. It’s all been worn out

disagree, people still aren’t taking it seriously. You see talk of LA, MI, NY, NJ on tv but nothing on GA. I’m talking national media here.
Way too many folks are still out and about spreading it. Then you have a whole different camp that thinks this is government overreach and going down the “you can’t tell me what to do” BS.

disagree, people still aren’t taking it seriously. You see talk of LA, MI, NY, NJ on tv but nothing on GA. I’m talking national media here.
Way too many folks are still out and about spreading it. Then you have a whole different camp that thinks this is government overreach and going down the “you can’t tell me what to do” BS.
Well those places you listed are getting talked about, yet still have the highest cases and it is still spreading frequently there. You can talk about it at will, but if people just don’t care your not gonna change their mind. Everybody knows the virus is bad and spreading but if they don’t care, then they just don’t care. Blasting it on TV all day isn’t gonna change that.

If the media ever needs a cross-section of opinions and diagnostics, all they would have to do is monitor this thread ... :cool:

... finger on the pulse, one might say (and I for one am enjoying the diversity here ... ? ...)

Maybe there's not really a story with Georgia right now outside of the Albany deal (which has been covered I feel) and the high level of stupid shown by Brian Kemp?

I mean, although someone in here has said that Emory can get overwhelmed in normal cases, if that model that I've seen in here turns out to be right (yes, assuming social distancing), there's not even going to be a hospital bed shortage in Georgia, although that is not factoring the jump from today. ICU shortage yes, bed shortage, no.

The word so far around the state I think (based off something I saw on another forum) is most hospitals have things under control.

The big stories right now I feel would be the Albany situation and the rural problem. The former has been covered, the latter sadly won't be as much, although I have read a few articles written about it.

It's early so that could change, but even if we were to see it change, you're not going to see Kemp give pressers like Cuomo, and I would not want to hear it anyway...

Edit: That's not to discount lost lives entirely. A lost life is sad for the family and person.

No the coastal towns influence school dates greatly in NC. It’s very political where usually mountain counties only qualify to open August 1st. The rest must wait.

We open the third week of August here on the coast. It’s set by the NCDPS.

We open the third week of August here on the coast. It’s set by the NCDPS.
Coastal towns are the main reason individual school districts have no freedom to create their own calendar. Listen in on the meetings in Raleigh it’s been going on for many years. It’s always the same argument that “locals” want their beach back by a certain time stamp without the kids. Which I do understand to a point.

It's like a snowstorm man. Everyone watches this thinking their backyard gets 2 feet. Then when 2 feet falls somewhere else the entire storm is a bust......except for those who got the 2 feet.

All the people who down play this as a nothingburger aren't in one of those worst hit areas.

It's like a snowstorm man. Everyone watches this thinking their backyard gets 2 feet. Then when 2 feet falls somewhere else the entire storm is a bust......except for those who got the 2 feet.

All the people who down play this as a nothingburger aren't in one of those worst hit areas.
I was thinking the same thing the other day regarding shelter in place being like a winter storm warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back