• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a problem with it being labeled essential, but all non essential items should be barred from being bought. Wal-Mart should be the same way, relegated to a grocery store only.
Ok, I don't understand your reasoning here. Why does it matter what you buy from Lowes or Walmart? Also, we should stop calling businesses "essential" or "non-essential". To the owners, operators and employees, all business are essential to provide income needed to buy food, housing, medical care and other "essentials".

I'm sorry, but the stay at home order for NC is absolutely ridiculous in light of the new evidence that we have likely been sold a flawed death rate based off wrong assumptions. We are dramatically hurting our Economy over using these bad modeled predictions to make decisions. I already posted one article from the WSJ but didn't realize it was making you join to read it. I think this one will work.

and the model that was predicting 2 million deaths.

If you over run the hospital capacity, then the death rate explodes.

Looks like the government is making GM make ventilators
51c831648dd685d46d37352ddffa0fe9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I don't understand your reasoning here. Why does it matter what you buy from Lowes or Walmart? Also, we should stop calling businesses "essential" or "non-essential". To the owners, operators and employees, all business are essential to provide income needed to buy food, housing, medical care and other "essentials".

You missed my point. If you issue a stay at home order or close all non essential businesses but leave Wal-Mart and HD/Lowes open you are just asking for more spread. You are putting people in masse at home with nothing to do or go to, but leaving the big stores completely open where they will flock to buy video games, pansys and toilets to work on during their time at home. That means you are packing the stores doing the opposite of what you intended.

If you are gonna make the shelter in place decision, you cannot leave Wal-Mart and the big hardware stores fully open or you either defeat the purpose or make things worse. If you close down all non essential parts of Lowes and Walmart, you stop the all the people from going who are just bored or want to make use of their off time around the house.

If you run this out months without opening the economy back up, the lack of food, inability to pay for health care, civil unrest and crime and lack of shelter kills far more, likely those that recovered from the virus in the first place. It's still a horrible idea to "cower in place". Advise at risk groups, provide support for them, let individuals decide how they should respond and let the healthy get back to work!

You missed my point. If you issue a stay at home order or close all non essential businesses but leave Wal-Mart and HD/Lowes open you are just asking for more spread. You are putting people in masse at home with nothing to do or go to, but leaving the big stores completely open where they will flock to buy video games, pansys and toilets to work on during their time at home. That means you are packing the stores doing the opposite of what you intended.

If you are gonna make the shelter in place decision, you cannot leave Wal-Mart and the big hardware stores fully open or you either defeat the purpose or make things worse. If you close down all non essential parts of Lowes and Walmart, you stop the all the people from going who are just bored or want to make use of their off time around the house.
I see your point but I don't like the authoritarian approach at all. I want to see freedoms restored now. My area has likely already been worked over by the virus (started here in mid December and lasted through January). We likely have herd immunity here. Other areas are not as well worked over and will have more infections and severe cases. Again, what is the true IFR (infection fatality rate)? We should know this by now and this is where I think the government has totally failed. I blame them for not collecting the required data before making draconian decisions.

Once we get control of the curve I’m of the belief we need to get back to business. Work on ways to medicate people effectively once infected and find a vaccine for the next cycle if there is one.

It does seem kind of counterproductive to shut everything down and keep Walmart open. That just means everybody comes to Walmart since everything else is closed. And of course Walmart is insanely crowded which is exactly what experts say to avoid.

Not to be ugly but did you actually read the articles. They make a lot of educated sense. I pray they are right and want to be optimistic about this. I do know our country can't survive "as we know it" for long locked down. Greater than a month for instance, especially the states that are severely locked down such as California and New York. I do agree New York needs some measures most likely.

I see your point but I don't like the authoritarian approach at all. I want to see freedoms restored now. My area has likely already been worked over by the virus (started here in mid December and lasted through January). We likely have herd immunity here. Other areas are not as well worked over and will have more infections and severe cases. Again, what is the true IFR (infection fatality rate)? We should know this by now and this is where I think the government has totally failed. I blame them for not collecting the required data before making draconian decisions.

I completely understand your point. I'm just saying if our government, local and federal thinks this is what we need to do, they need to think it out better and get the show on the road and do it right or at least make it sensible. If they don't believe it's the way to go and what they are doing isn't needed they need to stop it.

Once we get control of the curve I’m of the belief we need to get back to business. Work on ways to medicate people effectively once infected and find a vaccine for the next cycle if there is one.

I agree. I think a lockdown should've happened a while ago to start getting over it. But I think the most feasible deal would extend to mid-May, and then at least start transitioning to normal in the real world (sports might be a whole different ballgame, I'm hoping they happen this year but there is so much extreme pessimism it wouldn't surprise me if no sports go off).

Of course, some of the extreme pessimism is saying that we should lock up the country and toss away the key until 2021 because once we start trying to go back to normal, we'll see spikes in cases again and have to lock up again.

With summer rapidly approaching in the deep South, im worried about forcing people to stay at home. There are some poor and elderly people who can't afford air conditioning. Some people rely on going to public places like a mall or store in order to cool down and a lot of those places are closed.
Summer begins in June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back