• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be statewide SIP or could just be regarding the first 2 deaths earlier this morning.
This is my thought too, I tend to lean towards it to discuss the first deaths reported.... although on the other hand, with the stimulus package approved he may be more inclined to make people stay at home. We'll find out in 45 minutes lol

You would think that Cooper wouldn't need to be present if he is talking about the deaths though...
I think it’s quite likely it’s SIP given the city/county dominos that are falling today, but we’ll see. There’s been a lot of false starts regarding SIP, so I have no idea.

No official word, but with this clown you never know. Kemp is mulling over his options as to whether or not he should re open schools in Georgia after the March 31st date he originally gave. The additional order he gave earlier this week about gatherings of groups of 10 or more go up till the 6th. Most Georgia schools are on spring break the week of April 6-10. There is growing speculation he may open schools back up on April 13th.

Yeah, but a lot of stores are shut down, anyways. I’m probably just going to put the money in the market, to be honest, since this is a good buying opportunity.

Anyways, sorry, I don’t mean to drag this thread off-topic.

Yeah but online shopping is a big thing with physical stores shutting down. Like amazon, there is lots of stuff on there people could spend money on. Plus the money probably won’t arrive until late April or May and by then I would think things would be slowly starting to open back up.

Thoughts on this? It is an interesting thought. Doesn’t change the impact of what is happening, but would lead to a much quicker end of the tunnel.

Edit: now it's paywalled. Here is the text.

The new coronavirus may already have infected far more people in the UK than scientists had previously estimated — perhaps as much as half the population — according to modelling by researchers at the University of Oxford.

If the results are confirmed, they imply that fewer than one in a thousand of those infected with Covid-19 become ill enough to need hospital treatment, said Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology, who led the study. The vast majority develop very mild symptoms or none at all.

“We need immediately to begin large-scale serological surveys — antibody testing — to assess what stage of the epidemic we are in now,” she said.

The modelling by Oxford’s Evolutionary Ecology of Infectious Disease group indicates that Covid-19 reached the UK by mid-January at the latest. Like many emerging infections, it spread invisibly for more than a month before the first transmissions within the UK were officially recorded at the end of February.

The research presents a very different view of the epidemic to the modelling at Imperial College London, which has strongly influenced government policy. “I am surprised that there has been such unqualified acceptance of the Imperial model,” said Prof Gupta.

However, she was reluctant to criticise the government for shutting down the country to suppress viral spread, because the accuracy of the Oxford model has not yet been confirmed and, even if it is correct, social distancing will reduce the number of people becoming seriously ill and relieve severe pressure on the NHS during the peak of the epidemic.

The Oxford study is based on a what is known as a “susceptibility-infected-recovered model” of Covid-19, built up from case and death reports from the UK and Italy. The researchers made what they regard as the most plausible assumptions about the behaviour of the virus.

The modelling brings back into focus “herd immunity”, the idea that the virus will stop spreading when enough people have become resistant to it because they have already been infected. The government abandoned its unofficial herd immunity strategy — allowing controlled spread of infection — after its scientific advisers said this would swamp the National Health Service with critically ill patients.

No official word, but with this clown you never know. Kemp is mulling over his options as to whether or not he should re open schools in Georgia after the March 31st date he originally gave. The additional order he gave earlier this week about gatherings of groups of 10 or more go up till the 6th. Most Georgia schools are on spring break the week of April 6-10. There is growing speculation he may open schools back up on April 13th.
Bartow county has already stated they are out until 4/13.

With pressure building to sacrifice the old, I find it extremely ironic as a winter/cold lover, that my best chance to survive is record rains and record summer heat. I'm hoping for 90's in early April, and that just ain't right, lol. But, given all the water in the ground... my yard squishes way down deep....all the moisture getting pulled out of the ground will make the humidity unbearable, but life giving, lol. Just when you think things can't get stranger they do, big time. Come on record early heat!!!

Bartow county has already stated they are out until 4/13.
Yes ours as well, my concern is not knowing how long this is going to go on, if he jumps out there and says ok we’re opening schools back up April 13 and it’s just as bad. Will he retract that date or do like he originally did and leave it up to each county?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back