• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good time to buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It more than likely will turn out that way once looking back a few years or sooner, but the problem now is the risk of catching a falling knife as it COULD go down a few more thousand before coming back. If buying here, I’d recommend low amounts so one can have room to buy more even lower in case there’s a lot more drop to come. In other words, dollar cost averaging.

Well, it has since come back to being only down 350.

Meanwhile, crude is down $1.50 while gold is up as one would expect.

Last edited:
While I think it’s great we’re taking necessary precautions, this is definitely being overhyped. If you’re under the age of 60-70, your chances of being crucially affected from the virus itself are minimal. There may be economic impacts, but the world isn’t ending.

It more than likely will turn out that way once looking back a few years or sooner, but the problem now is the risk of catching a falling knife as it COULD go down a few more thousand before coming back. If buying here, I’d recommend low amounts so one can have room to buy more even lower in case there’s a lot more drop to come. In other words, dollar cost averaging.

Well, it has since come back to being only down 350.

Meanwhile, crude is down $1.50 while gold is up as one would expect.

I would like to see it fall as low as 22 or 23, as they say buy low. I have about 30% of my portfolio in the Dow but it’s a long term high risk. I went with the 40,30,20,10 rule when I was in my early 20s based on what my grandfather tough me, he was able to retire at 55 with that strategy. So far it’s been good.
* most people do the 50/30/20 which can work as well but that more of a saving plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I think it’s great we’re taking necessary precautions, this is definitely being overhyped. If you’re under the age of 60-70, your chances of being crucially affected from the virus itself are minimal. There may be economic impacts, but the world isn’t ending.

No one on here is saying the world is ending. Just pay attention and don’t be dumb down thinking nothing will ever happen. When the economies collapse and one day they will. It will not be pretty.

You are right young people won't be that effected by this unless they have friends or family over 60

Here's a good article from GLG Consulting discussing why oil prices are falling right now; it's mainly due to reduced energy demand from China: "a lot less construction, less tourism, fewer people going out to movies and restaurants, and so many factories shutting down".

South Korea is closing schools and public gathering like Japan. How long before they stop going to work? Even if it doesn't spread here what does China, Japan and South Korea shutting down do to the economy? If it's just a few weeks, the economy will probably drop a bit more but rebound quickly. If it spreads here and we have to cancel schools the economy is screwed, how do most people go to work if the kids stay home?

South Korea is closing schools and public gathering like Japan. How long before they stop going to work? Even if it doesn't spread here what does China, Japan and South Korea shutting down do to the economy? If it's just a few weeks, the economy will probably drop a bit more but rebound quickly. If it spreads here and we have to cancel schools the economy is screwed, how do most people go to work if the kids stay home?
Buy some stock in childcare

So some secondhand info here. My SIL has a friend who lives in Milan,Italy and she said that people are literally fighting over supplies. That people have gone to stores and taken things from peoples carts and fought over them.

Some of these things/costs are going to reset in the not too distant future.

And re: COV, there have been sporadic reports/rumors that you can get infected twice and even that the second time can be much worse than the first, due to how the immune system reacts to the second infection. We'll have to see how that plays out, because I think that's one of the things that hasn't received a lot of study yet.

We're seeing some things about this virus that are different than the usual viruses that show up.

How long before they stop going to work? Even if it doesn't spread here what does China, Japan and South Korea shutting down do to the economy? If it's just a few weeks, the economy will probably drop a bit more but rebound quickly. If it spreads here and we have to cancel schools the economy is screwed, how do most people go to work if the kids stay home?
It's ridiculous. A co-worker has 3 kids and it cost him $1200 a month
$1200 total for 3 kids? That is stupidly cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back