• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be wrong but I recall the stimulus check that we got back in the recession coming fairly quickly.

Maybe you’re right . I don’t remember that . I just have a hard time believing anyone receives a check before April

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may be wrong but I recall the stimulus check that we got back in the recession coming fairly quickly.

How did that work? Did the government just send checks out to everyone based on how many people you have in the family, or was there some type of form to fill out and then the checks were sent?

Gonna try unemployment route today and try to get ahead of the game after NC gov reduced restrictions

One of our local restaurants Arnold’s has announced they will shutdown today only. And do drive through. But if they do not make the 3,000 needed to pay employees. Then Arnold’s will open there dining room back up on Friday so they can make enough money so they don’t go bankrupt. He said he has no idea what will happen if he opens up going against states law.

One of our local restaurants Arnold’s has announced they will shutdown today only. And do drive through. But if they do not make the 3,000 needed to pay employees. Then Arnold’s will open there dining room back up on Friday so they can make enough money so they don’t go bankrupt. He said he has no idea what will happen if he opens up going against states law.

The health department can shut down restaurants that don't follow the rules when times are normal, they will have no problem doing during a pandemic.

8389093e0cab70df82d793dc6dfee25e.jpg

Gary durkee of Arnold’s before he posted a video.

Take his dirty laundry out of this thread please. Let the health department shut them down even longer than the pandemic and maybe someone will sue the small business if a customer gets sick or cause a community uptick.

Well we had 60,000 to 80,000 deaths from the potent outbreak of 17/18 and nothing was done, so apparently a lot. I suppose this has the potential to be worse but that was a lot of death! :(
Iceage I get it. Maybe we should be more aware of how deadly previous outbreaks are, and we should look into that after everything is over. We disagree on if a shutdown or not is the better solution, but I respect your point.
India accepts millions of deaths due to diseases every year and carries on with progress toward a prosperous society. We should be able to absorb 5% casualties before we sacrifice all to try and stop it. It won’t even get close to that number though. The virus is far more survivable than TB or Malaria.
Up to 5% losses, is 1 in 20 people. Wow.

Thankfully that's way above what even the most dire predictions are..

Would normally put this in stock market thread but seems more relevant here.

“Mr. President, the only answer is to shut down the country for the next 30 days and close the borders. Tell all Americans that you are putting us on an extended Spring Break at home with family,” Ackman wrote on Twitter.

“The moment you send everyone home for Spring Break and close the borders, the infection rate will plummet, the stock market will soar, and the clouds will lift,” he added.

The investor warned that further delays to such a “Spring Break” hiatus would continue to have disastrous costs to human life and pressed Trump to “please send everyone home now.”

I think it's safe to say we are witnessing a truly historical event unfolding. There's real anxiety about economic and human impacts. It's right to be concerned. We may be about to experience trying times neither of us have seen in our lifetimes.

We all need to acknowledge that, and keep calm. Panicking and ignoring the problem is (I believe) two different extremes. Rational and clear headed thinking is the mean between those extremes.

Don't forget that America does its best when our backs are against the wall, or facing extreme adversity. We have a history of innovating and pivoting in response to huge obstacles, and I see no reason to believe this time will be different.

Would normally put this in stock market thread but seems more relevant here.

“Mr. President, the only answer is to shut down the country for the next 30 days and close the borders. Tell all Americans that you are putting us on an extended Spring Break at home with family,” Ackman wrote on Twitter.

“The moment you send everyone home for Spring Break and close the borders, the infection rate will plummet, the stock market will soar, and the clouds will lift,” he added.

The investor warned that further delays to such a “Spring Break” hiatus would continue to have disastrous costs to human life and pressed Trump to “please send everyone home now.”
I understand but to me that would only make rich get richer and small businesses go under. If no one has any money to spend how can things be bought when things do open up. People will be trying to catch up paying their bills.

I think it's safe to say we are witnessing a truly historical event unfolding. There's real anxiety about economic and human impacts. It's right to be concerned. We may be about to experience trying times neither of us have seen in our lifetimes.

We all need to acknowledge that, and keep calm. Panicking and ignoring the problem is (I believe) two different extremes. Rational and clear headed thinking is the mean between those extremes.

Don't forget that America does its best when our backs are against the wall, or facing extreme adversity. We have a history of innovating and pivoting in response to huge obstacles, and I see no reason to believe this time will be different.

Part of the problem is most of us have had an easy go of it. The biggest previous shock event in my life was 9/11 and the next big thing was the 2008 and on Great Recession. We haven’t had the massive changing events such as the 2004 or 2011 Tsunamis or the Haitian earthquake. We also haven’t had to deal with the World Wars, Great Depression, Cold War or Cuban Missile Crisis. Most of us have been spoiled and haven’t had to face what life is actually like on this fallen earth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back