Pattern April Showers

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
I'm ready for sunny and 75. Kids are starting to play flag football and soccer this weekend. Not much fun making up a lot of games because of rain or playing when it's cold out.

I'm ready for sunny and 75. Kids are starting to play flag football and soccer this weekend. Not much fun making up a lot of games because of rain or playing when it's cold out.
Yeah I'm tired of this up and down sharply weather plus all these cloudy days. I don't want any more cold until later this year. It's time to warm up and it looks like it is going to this week, but we will be back down in a week.

Reactions: Rosie
It looks like the ups and downs will continue for awhile longer, which is perfectly fine with me. Changes in wx make it more interesting and having cool spells interspersed with warmth is good to see from my perspective. For the folks who don't like the changes, don't worry as you'll get your months on end of nearly continuous heat and humidity soon enough. That kind of wx is rather boring to me and is also uncomfortable but we always get it.

Despite sincere disdain for IMBY posts, this one (perhaps) seems worth sharing ... all day training and it beats the heck out of last spring in any event ...

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 5.20.08 PM.png
~~~~~~~
Edit:
531 PM EDT MON APR 9 2018
Gilchrist FL-Alachua FL-
The National Weather Service in Jacksonville has issued a
* Flood Advisory for...
Southern Gilchrist County in northern Florida...
Central Alachua County in northern Florida...
* Until 830 PM EDT.
* At 525 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated heavy rain due to a
training line of heavy thunderstorms. This will cause minor
flooding in the advisory area. One to two inches of rain have
fallen in a swath oriented from west to east generally between the
cities of Alachua and Gainesville in the past hour. On and off
periods of heavy rain will continue for at least the next several
hours.
* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Gainesville, Trenton, Bell, Alachua, High Springs, Orange Heights,
Gainesville Airport, Newberry, Waldo and La Crosse.
•Additional rainfall of 3 to 5 inches is expected over this area
through 830 pm. This additional rain will result in minor flooding.

Last edited:
Reactions: NGTim and vtrap90
brrrr.. i dig it:
gfs_T850_us_27.png

Reactions: vtrap90 and GaWx
Despite sincere disdain for IMBY posts, this one (perhaps) seems worth sharing ... all day training and it beats the heck out of last spring in any event ...

View attachment 5026
~~~~~~~
Edit:
Gilchrist FL-Alachua FL-
The National Weather Service in Jacksonville has issued a
* Flood Advisory for...
Southern Gilchrist County in northern Florida...
Central Alachua County in northern Florida...
* Until 830 PM EDT.
* At 525 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated heavy rain due to a
training line of heavy thunderstorms. This will cause minor
flooding in the advisory area. One to two inches of rain have
fallen in a swath oriented from west to east generally between the
cities of Alachua and Gainesville in the past hour. On and off
periods of heavy rain will continue for at least the next several
hours.
* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Gainesville, Trenton, Bell, Alachua, High Springs, Orange Heights,
Gainesville Airport, Newberry, Waldo and La Crosse.
•Additional rainfall of 3 to 5 inches is expected over this area
through 830 pm. This additional rain will result in minor flooding.
Phil, if you see anyone building a very large boat, get in line. It appears you all are under the gun again with a lot of rain. Too bad it could not be spread out over days and weeks when you really need it. Stay safe. Hope the flooding is not causing you any issues. Best, Mike.

Reactions: pcbjr
Phil, if you see anyone building a very large boat, get in line. It appears you all are under the gun again with a lot of rain. Too bad it could not be spread out over days and weeks when you really need it. Stay safe. Hope the flooding is not causing you any issues. Best, Mike.
Perhaps the nicest post I've ever received; thanks!
Best!
Phil

Edit:
Based on NWS reports since midnight - 5.88" and it's still coming down ... :eek:

Corrected @ 6:00 PM:
5.76 based on updated info ... still quite a lot ...

Last edited:
Reactions: NGTim
This won't go over well... This weekend into Monday looks very interesting for severe on most of the forum even if it's just primarily a damaging wind threat.
View attachment 5029

It's telling when the global models look very convective already even here in NC.

View attachment 5031

View attachment 5030
Great post, Webb!
You know my disdain for severe, but if it happens, at least we have a heads up.
Looks like a pretty sharp temp change is possible Sunday, and FWIW, that's a best guess from your Curmudgeon of a time-frame to consider hunkering down. :(
Best!
Phil

http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KJAX/1804102126.sxus72.html

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE JACKSONVILLE FL
515 PM EDT TUE APR 10 2018

...ALL-TIME 24 HOUR RAINFALL RECORD FOR THE MONTH OF APRIL SET AT
GAINESVILLE (GNV) FLORIDA...

A RECORD 24 HOUR RAINFALL TOTAL OF 5.67 INCHES FELL AT GAINESVILLE
FROM 3:45 PM EDT MONDAY APRIL 9TH THROUGH 3:45 PM EDT TUESDAY APRIL
10TH. THIS WAS THE MOST EVER RECORDED FOR THE MONTH OF APRIL
BREAKING THE OLD RECORD OF 4.90 INCHES SET ON APRIL 3RD 1944.

Reactions: pcbjr
You want to hear a really crazy wx stat? The last two days' highs here (58/56) were the two coldest highs in over two months (since 2/3/18)!! Today's high of 56 is 20 colder than normal and is 4 colder than the early to mid January normal high!

The laat 3 days have had a high of 61 or lower. The last time that happened was way back in mid January!

Last edited:
To add to Webber post, saw our local TV met last night discussing how Sunday has his attn. He showed a wind chart (not sure of which model) throughout the atmosphere ,5000-30,000 feet and at 6pm Sunday the Wind Shear was at 106mph.

Last edited:
At KSAV, April 1-10 has been nearly 2 F cooler than Feb and nearly 6 F cooler than 2/10-28! This is similar to what the bulk of the SE US has experienced.

Saw an article of metropolitan areas that have taken a direct hit from a tornado.
For NC
Greensboro F4
Raleigh F3
Fayetteville F3.

All occurred in month of April in NC. Might have missed 1 or 2. Surprised at F4 Greensboro, was in the early 30s. Think I saw ST Louis 4 times . These date back to late 1800s.