• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern April Showers

Thanks for the info Eric. Do you think that it's possible that we will see this type of snowfall again in the next couple of decades due to the AMO leaving the warm phase and the period of low solar activity coming up? I read that if the AMO enters the cold phase it should result in the -AO getting stonger overall which theoretically would help our area with snowfall. Any thoughts on this?
Sure thing! I’m doubtful tbh even when you compare this to the great winters of the early-mid 20th century it spanks them pretty senselessly. One of the greatest winters in the late 19th century, 1898-99 averaged 18” statewide, 1935-36 had a state avg at a whopping 26.3”. I’ll continue to work on this over the coming year or so because I’m sure like you, I want to see how this winter stacks up and what the long term trend (in terms of cold and snow) looks like and see if I can figure out which areas are suffering the most among other things.

Hopefully you guys can cash in Sunday evening. No weather is worse than drought. Heat is second. Usually they come hand n hand unfortunately.

I appreciate your hope for decent rain Sun evening. That's why I liked your post. However, I very strongly disagree with you that there's no weather worse than drought. I'd much rather have that than be hit with a flood, tornado, or hurricane. I can handle a drought and it wouldn't endanger the lives of loved ones and myself. Besides the danger to lives, there's the potential damage from these events as well as the longterm discomfort/inconveniences that can follow them. About the only damage I'd have to worry about from a drought would be that to my grass/shrubs. Even this can be alleviated with ample irrigation. In summary, although I'd rather not have one, I'd take a drought over dangerous and destructive wx any time!

Last edited:
Seriously,NAM? I'm not taking this seriously though. It needs to stop taking from the ICON and find reality.
nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_60.png

It wouldn't shock me...lol. The way the weather has been acting this year anything is possible this month it seems lol. Time shall tell the truth however.
Well if flakes even fly in April here, I'll be shocked as that would be the latest I have ever seen flakes. I don't expect anything as the NAM seems notorious for showing more moisture than available. Now if the HRRR gets it in the extreme SR, that's more realistic.

Well if flakes even fly in April here, I'll be shocked as that would be the latest I have ever seen flakes. I don't expect anything as the NAM seems notorious for showing more moisture than available. Now if the HRRR gets it in the extreme SR, that's more realistic.
I'm pretty confident I have seen flurries in April before living north of the city, can't remember the date but I took video of it... nothing dramatic of course. I'll have to see if I can locate it on social media somewhere. I also remember my family telling me they saw flurries in April 2009 if I am not mistaken. I was living in California at the time so wasn't here then.

I'm pretty confident I have seen flurries in April before living north of the city, can't remember the date but I took video of it... nothing dramatic of course. I'll have to see if I can locate it on social media somewhere. I also remember my family telling me they saw flurries in April 2009 if I am not mistaken. I was living in California at the time so wasn't here then.

Yeah, I remember seeing snow showers/graupel back in April 2009 here in Atlanta. It was during my Spring Break, I think I remember it happening on a Tuesday and by Friday that same week we were dealing with a tornado outbreak. That was the weirdest Spring Break ever lol.

I know the main focus here in Alabama is the potential tomorrow but man oh man next weekend looks textbook for a severe outbreak if we can get the moisture return. Models showing a robust negative titled trough moving through

I know the main focus here in Alabama is the potential tomorrow but man oh man next weekend looks textbook for a severe outbreak if we can get the moisture return. Models showing a robust negative titled trough moving through
I agree, I was just texting storm and delta about it. Now the gfs is throwing a wedge into the mix

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Can’t wait to get my highs back to the 50s tomorrow, even if just for one day ! And perhaps a light frost tomorrow night!

Back