• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe 4/12 - (?) Severe Weather

Without a frontal passage I'd almost think 50+CIN would be too much, Lol I think dfw guy on here would know more since he lives in Texas.
Looks like the temp at ~850mb-700mb is actually increasing according to soundings as the evening progresses. That would definitely hurt.

Looks like the temp at ~850mb-700mb is actually increasing according to soundings as the evening progresses. That would definitely hurt.
You always see crazy soundings and super high paramters in the plains but almost half of them never verify to be actual decent severe weather days, which is a good thing nonetheless but very misleading when just looking at a composite index. Some of these areas you probably won't know till almost the day of on wether you have a substantial risk depending on how weak the CAP is and where your mesoscale features setup/ divergence all that. You can have the best composites but until something gets it lifted and moving it's all for naught.

Lol yeah thats going to be hard to overcome Screenshot_20220408-194750-605.png

I thought 90 CIN was pretty strong? Maybe I'm looking at it wrong haha. Most of your lift is coming from mesoscale and wind divergence and peak heating takes a lot to bust a pretty strong cap.

I've seen where strong cap days bust pretty good. I think that plains super tornado oubtreak that was forecasted a couple years back was a high cap day and busted very bad for what was actually forecasted.
There was no capping issues for 5/20/2019, there was more mid-level dry air than expected in the soundings.

That’s very impressive, extreme low and mid level lapse rates, great low level streamwise vorticity, but the LCL is a bit high. Reminds me of the DDC sounding years ago 1ECEB836-FF4B-48FB-923A-9BBCDAA06E6C.png

That’s very impressive, extreme low and mid level lapse rates, great low level streamwise vorticity, but the LCL is a bit high. Reminds me of the DDC sounding years ago View attachment 117038
The LCL is more favorable in Oklahoma, as shown here with this model sounding over OKC. In fact, Central Oklahoma is even more favorable for Supercells than Kansas is on the 18z GFS! :oops:
18z GFS Sounding over OKC.png

The LCL is more favorable in Oklahoma, as shown here with this model sounding over OKC. In fact, Central Oklahoma is even more favorable for Supercells than Kansas is on the 18z GFS! :oops:
View attachment 117039
Yeah that’s highly impressive, that sounding is favorable for HP supercells with humongous hail and tornadoes, tons of llvl streamwise vorticity and wind vectors almost intersecting, the impressive thermodynamics make up for the somewhat weaker mid level flow

Yeah that’s highly impressive, that sounding is favorable for HP supercells with humongous hail and tornadoes, tons of llvl streamwise vorticity and wind vectors almost intersecting, the impressive thermodynamics make up for the somewhat weaker mid level flow
Yeah, already strongly considering getting the storm shelter ready in the next couple of days. The GFS has been extremely consistent with this in the past 6 runs.

What are the soundings &/or Bulk Shear looking like?
Supportive of supercells think the bulk shear is around 50+ in the most favorable areas. Probably looks like your northern/ central MS /AL into Tennessee are the most favorable but I haven't really dived in.

Wouldn’t completely rule out an isolated storm or two that manage to develop tomorrow evening. The 3km Nam has isolated development although most other models don’t. There would probably not be too much with them aside from a small wind and hail threat if anything at all.7C8B919C-F707-4779-BE59-7B2514D95309.png

Wouldn’t completely rule out an isolated storm or two that manage to develop tomorrow evening. The 3km Nam has isolated development although most other models don’t. There would probably not be too much with them aside from a small wind and hail threat if anything at all.View attachment 117044
Tomorrow could be a sneaky event for Oklahoma & Missouri

Lapse rates to me look best overall for Wednesday… think I start over central Arkansas head either very Southern Missouri or even nw Mississippi… helicity off charts in these areas.

Back