• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical 2024 Tropical Thread Reboot

We don't need the water either. I'm fine with a hurricane though as long as it drags some cooler and drier air in behind it.
I feel like we just went through this. What kind of person wishes for a hurricane just so their weather changes for the better?

If you don't like heat and humidity, maybe, just maybe, living in Florida isn't for you.

Same, it never fails that someone wishes for "bad" weather. I get some things are subjective BUT a hurricane is not/ should not be one of them.

I feel like we just went through this. What kind of person wishes for a hurricane just so their weather changes for the better?

If you don't like heat and humidity, maybe, just maybe, living in Florida isn't for you.
We did just talk about it. I'm happy to deal with a hurricane, even one going directly over me, for the payoff of tolerable weather afterwards. Not a major hurricane but a TS or Cat 1 is totally fine. "Florida isn't for you" No, it clearly isn't. But I'm not a multimillionaire who can just move somewhere else because I like the climate there better. My job, family, and friends are here.

I don’t wish for hurricanes but we do need hurricanes. They help to cool off the tropical regions and they bring warmer air to areas in the higher latitudes. Tornadoes on the other hand, I’m not sure what their purpose is.

I don’t wish for hurricanes but we do need hurricanes. They help to cool off the tropical regions and they bring warmer air to areas in the higher latitudes. Tornadoes on the other hand, I’m not sure what their purpose is.
To add to that hurricanes are relatively predictable. You have time to get out of the way if it's going to be really bad. Not the case with Tornadoes. I'm glad I live in a place where the risk for strong tornadoes is low.

This culture of shaming people for rooting for certain kinds of weather is dumb and corrosive imo. Even if I were rooting for an F5 tornado I don't see how getting worked up about it does anything but make the forum more toxic. None of us can control what actually happens.

This culture of shaming people for rooting for certain kinds of weather is dumb and corrosive imo. Even if I were rooting for an F5 tornado I don't see how getting worked up about it does anything but make the forum more toxic. None of us can control what actually happens.
Just curious.....have you experienced a direct hit cat1 or 2, or a tropical storm that dropped 30 inches or more? Just curious....not shaming.

Just curious.....have you experienced a direct hit cat1 or 2, or a tropical storm that dropped 30 inches or more? Just curious....not shaming.
30 inches of rain from a hurricane no. But I have experienced a direct hit from hurricanes. I don't even like hurricanes lol, I just think the aggravation is worth it if there's a reward of cool/dry weather after. Off the top of my head the most significant impacts here I've lived through are Katrina and Wilma in 2005 and Irma in 2017. Wilma was the strongest with 85mph sustained winds and a 123mph gust at my location. Katrina and Irma both also had Category 1 sustained winds here. Of the three Wilma was by far the best. We had like a week of highs in the 70's and lows in the 50's after the storm departed.

Last edited:
30 inches of rain from a hurricane no. But I have experienced a direct hit from hurricanes. I don't even like hurricanes lol, I just think the aggravation is worth it if there's a reward of cool/dry weather after. Off the top of my head the most significant impacts here I've lived through are Katrina and Wilma in 2005 and Irma in 2017. Wilma was the strongest with 85mph sustained winds and a 123mph gust at my location. Katrina and Irma both also had Category 1 sustained winds here. Of the three Wilma was by far the best. We had like a week of highs in the 70's and lows in the 50's after the storm departed.
South GA not so lucky. It's been in the 90s with no AC since the storm, and will be into mid 80s on Wednesday. They wouldn't agree with you. They had sustained winds of 102 with 133 Gusts. It took out the entire power grid. So it's not shaming.....just too many people on this board with really bad situations.

South GA not so lucky. It's been in the 90s with no AC since the storm, and will be into mid 80s on Wednesday. They wouldn't agree with you. They had sustained winds of 102 with 133 Gusts. It took out the entire power grid. So it's not shaming.....just too many people on this board with really bad situations.
Helene was devastating. Deadliest mainland hurricane since Katrina. I have nothing but sympathy for those who are suffering.

Last edited:
Back