• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2023 Spring/Summer Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok well next time I'll box it up and have it shipped to a POS raggedy chair beside some dried up tomato plants on a deck in Iowa.
Thanks! Just saying snot all snakes are bad, and they do have a purpose, like all gods creatures!

Got a call from an old coworker and went early and collected a hive from an old house. So in one week Ive went from zero to two hives!

Edit: Swarm from the other day.

View attachment 135414
I’ve had scouts at my trap but nothing else. They also tried to start in my garage when I left the door open working. In retrospect I should have let it happen.

I’ve had scouts at my trap but nothing else. They also tried to start in my garage when I left the door open working. In retrospect I should have let it happen.

An older beekeeper told me that lemon grass oil soaked cotton balls in a ziploc and spraying Swarm Commander helps bring them in. So far it worked as in retrospect I should of had two swarms( I think I messed the first one up by getting anxious and looking in.)

I’ve definitely got some attention now from a hive somewhere across the field in my trap right now. Maybe I’ll snag another.

An older beekeeper told me that lemon grass oil soaked cotton balls in a ziploc and spraying Swarm Commander helps bring them in. So far it worked as in retrospect I should of had two swarms( I think I messed the first one up by getting anxious and looking in.)

I’ve definitely got some attention now from a hive somewhere across the field in my trap right now. Maybe I’ll snag another.
I think I messed up and put too many frames in mine. Apparently they want more open space.

First time since 1980 my grape vine is not going to produce any grapes ? it seems. Vine is still alive and green and full of leaves but no grapes at all forming. It has survived way colder springs in the past but this year looks like no harvest at all. It usually peaks around the first week of August full of grapes. Maybe deer got to it and ate the seeds.

First time since 1980 my grape vine is not going to produce any grapes ? it seems. Vine is still alive and green and full of leaves but no grapes at all forming. It has survived way colder springs in the past but this year looks like no harvest at all. It usually peaks around the first week of August full of grapes. Maybe deer got to it and ate the seeds.
Or maybe ya know just maybe you need warmth for things to grow … now imagine with me a world where your summers were cool… all you could grow would be nasty ass lettuce and kale…

Or maybe your vine is old idk much about grapes other than they like warmth. Then again there’s wine growing regions in upstate New York so some varieties do fine

Or maybe ya know just maybe you need warmth for things to grow … now imagine with me a world where your summers were cool… all you could grow would be nasty ass lettuce and kale…

Or maybe your vine is old idk much about grapes other than they like warmth. Then again there’s wine growing regions in upstate New York so some varieties do fine
Yep. I know it. Your right about the warmth for growth. Vine was planted in 1979. Started yielding grapes the next year I was told by my parents. I was born in 82 and have had grapes every year since. Some years better some worse. I don't know the lifespan of grapevines but it's 44 yrs old. It was never staked until 2016 and was always on the ground and had a ton of grapes on it every year. Once I staked it with wire it started out spreading everywhere and growing real good and then the last couple of years it has yielded less and less grapes and don't look like it's doing good at all. Looks like it's lifespan has run out maybe. I had to plant a Leyland Cypress line to block development in 2011 about 8ft from it and now it's getting covered in shade a lot and maybe those trees are doing it in. I heard they can mess up the yield of fruit trees or grapes. Always enjoyed those grapes in the summertime.

Yep. I know it. Your right about the warmth for growth. Vine was planted in 1979. Started yielding grapes the next year I was told by my parents. I was born in 82 and have had grapes every year since. Some years better some worse. I don't know the lifespan of grapevines but it's 44 yrs old. It was never staked until 2016 and was always on the ground and had a ton of grapes on it every year. Once I staked it with wire it started out spreading everywhere and growing real good and then the last couple of years it has yielded less and less grapes and don't look like it's doing good at all. Looks like it's lifespan has run out maybe. I had to plant a Leyland Cypress line to block development in 2011 about 8ft from it and now it's getting covered in shade a lot and maybe those trees are doing it in. I heard they can mess up the yield of fruit trees or grapes. Always enjoyed those grapes in the summertime.
Maybe it will have a later than usual yield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back