• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2022-23 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coldest airmass in December in decades and we won't even get a single flake out of it
That's probably not that uncommon. This air is very dry. There's energy behind the main show but just not enough moisture to work with. We need more continental air or less push so we can get the gulf involved.

Oh absolutely me too. I don't care how I get it. But those southern sliders where we all cash in from TX to NC have been mia. Who knows if they'll return anytime soon.
They don't happen very often for sure. We all remember them because they used to happen more commonly. We all remember big, cold late February and big March snows too, which is why we still cling to that time frame as a valid climo period for snow, myself included. But those are all largely products of a bygone era. I'm not talking one-offs or mixy sloppy events. Maybe things will revert back at some point. I hope so. Waiting all winter to get one good storm really sucks. I know not every winter produced back in the day. But less of them do now. I wish I didn't like snow so much.

LekVjqa.jpeg

They don't happen very often for sure. We all remember them because they used to happen more commonly. We all remember big, cold late February and big March snows too, which is why we still cling to that time frame as a valid climo period for snow, myself included. But those are all largely products of a bygone era. I'm not talking one-offs or mixy sloppy events. Maybe things will revert back at some point. I hope so. Waiting all winter to get one good storm really sucks. I know not every winter produced back in the day. But less of them do now. I wish I didn't like snow so much.
Don't worry CR I decorated my Christmas tree with snowflakes even got a huge snowflake topper maybe the snow gods will reward us ???

Last edited:
Yeah it feels like we really only have January now. We have the rare Dec storm like 2018 but Dec has never been great even in the past. Dec has been such a letdown lately due to torching and not so much lack of snow. February on the other hand has been the real disappointment. At least in CLT Feb has always been the snowiest month. Yet not a single decent event has occurred since 2015 or so. So it really feels like it's Jan or bust anymore until Feb actually shows us differently. It sucks to see we're losing the 1st week of Jan to a bad pattern. And honestly probably longer because when that pattern breaks we still have to build the cold air back where the Pacific will blow it off the continent

Yeah it feels like we really only have January now. We have the rare Dec storm like 2018 but Dec has never been great even in the past. Dec has been such a letdown lately due to torching and not so much lack of snow. February on the other hand has been the real disappointment. At least in CLT Feb has always been the snowiest month. Yet not a single decent event has occurred since 2015 or so. So it really feels like it's Jan or bust anymore until Feb actually shows us differently. It sucks to see we're losing the 1st week of Jan to a bad pattern. And honestly probably longer because when that pattern breaks we still have to build the cold air back where the Pacific will blow it off the continent
True, but the northern hemisphere should be colder at mid-January than mid-December. It may not take as long to get cold as it did this month. These marginal events over the past few days may make bank in January.

True, but the northern hemisphere should be colder at mid-January than mid-December. It may not take as long to get cold as it did this month. These marginal events over the past few days may make bank in January.
If we put up a -EPO and cross polar flow it wouldn't take long. Hopefully it's just a brief relaxation the first week in January. Time will tell

If we put up a -EPO and cross polar flow it wouldn't take long. Hopefully it's just a brief relaxation the first week in January. Time will tell
We have some good things going for us even going into this warm up late next week. The AO looks to stay negative which means the PV won’t be getting wound up and the MJO is moving and should be heading into phase 7 as we end the first week of January… phase 7 in January has had some very good storms.

Honestly we have a 3 or 4 week window after Jan 10th ish and after that put a fork in this winter. Sux we waisted this block pattern but thats how we roll these days
NC had a good March and early April snow a few years ago; maybe 2018? Unfortunately, SC got screwed on that pattern. There was one snow in early March a few years ago for the upstate, but in general, it has become extremely difficult for us to get much accumulation after about Feb 20th.

As hard as it is being a snow lover in the upstate; I am still thankful to be in better shape than the CAE folks; 1st time in 8 years last winter!

I wish I had been alive when the SE was glaciated like some of you guys. Glad we are getting a taste of how it used to be this weekend since we set a record for the longest steak below freezing just 5 years ago. The fact that the 1990s was the worst snow decade for many minus that one storm has been forgotten or glossed over is interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back