• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021 Spring/Summer Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You inland boys and your cute memories. One storm in FL, we sat on a friends porch at their parents house. It was Only a Cat1, but through the trees was a trailor park with plenty of Diretv and dishet dishes. We were playing a drinking game of if you guess which sat. dish went next, and were wrong, you had to drink a shot. Everyone chugged a beer when a the whole trailor would go.

Fran is my #2 all time event. I'll never forget the sound of the wind that night and how things looked the next morning when the sun came up. My old neighbors in Knightdale showed me pictures the day after from that area and it looked like something you would see near the beaches. I personally hope we never get another like that but I feel like we will in the next 10-20 years the return period on something like that for our area seems to be 30-50 yrs

I was in Durham for Fran. Remember staying up all night listening to the wind and trees breaking all around me. The next morning it looked like a war zone with trees everywhere. My parents had a large tree that fell in their backyard and barely missed hitting the camper they had at the time. Crazy thing is a few years later a pine tree snapped on a regular windy day and the top half fell on the camper.

Still think this should have been a ef-4 I saw the damage firsthand. And it was incredible
1986c032aca8a2c453b5fde51107ed85.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Fran is my #2 all time event. I'll never forget the sound of the wind that night and how things looked the next morning when the sun came up. My old neighbors in Knightdale showed me pictures the day after from that area and it looked like something you would see near the beaches. I personally hope we never get another like that but I feel like we will in the next 10-20 years the return period on something like that for our area seems to be 30-50 yrs
Yeah, essentially all it comes down to is getting a major hurricane to landfall and track north. The climo track for storms anyways would be favorable , it just takes a strong enough storm which we haven’t gotten since Fran. Florence looked like it was going to be the one , 24 hours out we had a major cane on our doorstep doing the perfect track , then it did all those ERCs , ingested dry air , and wandered south as steering currents collapsed . Heartbreak.

Yeah, essentially all it comes down to is getting a major hurricane to landfall and track north. The climo track for storms anyways would be favorable , it just takes a strong enough storm which we haven’t gotten since Fran. Florence looked like it was going to be the one , 24 hours out we had a major cane on our doorstep doing the perfect track , then it did all those ERCs , ingested dry air , and wandered south as steering currents collapsed . Heartbreak.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe some of the early forecasts for floyd had the center well west pretty close to us and they were talking crazy high on the wind

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe some of the early forecasts for floyd had the center well west pretty close to us and they were talking crazy high on the wind
Yeah floyd was forecast to be further west. I think at one point it was supposed to make landfall in SC.

I believe so, that was the one with the big evacuations in Florida and Georgia 24 hours out only for it to end up further east and weaker .

Isabel your standard run of the mill tropical system here lol, some decent rain and strong enough winds to take down a few trees mainly around creek beds where the ground was softer, but really not bad at all. However, weenie adult metwannabe, decides to drive out in it to see conditions and couldn't come back home same way I left because a tree had fallen across the road. I was almost a statistic.

Btw, I remember being disappointed when I got up on the morning of Sept. 23, 1989 and the sun was shining...... then saw the damage in SC and Charlotte
Same here. Was hoping for a lot of rain with Hugo and we basically got some clouds and wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back