• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021 Spring/Summer Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our taxpayer dollars are going to fund the protection of the homes of wealthy Americans who usurped the local populations on our barrier islands with their fancy homes, freaking Kooks. The barrier islands I have said time and time again were not meant for the kind of development we see today on them. Prior to the heavy commercialization of the islands, locals lived in cheaply built homes further from the beach as they understood that permanent structures on shifting sand were impossible. Now look, here we are spending millions in taxpayer funds to help save the homes of these poor poor poor rich people. All it takes is one bad noreaster or hurricane and half your island's gone, or the beach erodes 2000 feet of sand and your home is suddenly being lapped by the waves.

History of NC-12 is fascinating, but roads arent viable on the OBX, rather they should have gone with a system similar to carova beach where there are no paved roads to my knowledge just sand.

Of course, here you go... the biggest motivator for all this $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Our taxpayer dollars are going to fund the protection of the homes of wealthy Americans who usurped the local populations on our barrier islands with their fancy homes, freaking Kooks. The barrier islands I have said time and time again were not meant for the kind of development we see today on them. Prior to the heavy commercialization of the islands, locals lived in cheaply built homes further from the beach as they understood that permanent structures on shifting sand were impossible. Now look, here we are spending millions in taxpayer funds to help save the homes of these poor poor poor rich people. All it takes is one bad noreaster or hurricane and half your island's gone, or the beach erodes 2000 feet of sand and your home is suddenly being lapped by the waves.

History of NC-12 is fascinating, but roads arent viable on the OBX, rather they should have gone with a system similar to carova beach where there are no paved roads to my knowledge just sand.

Of course, here you go... the biggest motivator for all this $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bless your heart.

Bless your heart.
Did you read anything I posted! If you disagree which there is no possible way you can, I mean how do you justify the destruction of these islands for the benefit of a wealthier minority? How do you justify having to continually pour millions of taxpayer dollars to keep them?

Did you read anything I posted! If you disagree which there is no possible way you can, I mean how do you justify the destruction of these islands for the benefit of a wealthier minority? How do you justify having to continually pour millions of taxpayer dollars to keep them?
I read all of it. It's just a losing battle. Just wait till your wife wants to move to the beach and you tell her no and see what happens.

I read all of it. It's just a losing battle. Just wait till your wife wants to move to the beach and you tell her no and see what happens.
So why fight a losing battle? You know they can be saved right? The fight we are putting up only leads to the permanent loss of these islands. They are very important pieces of nature, but also as stated in a couple of the articles, are very big generators of tax dollar revenue for these counties and our state. We can't afford to lose highly lucrative sources of revenue. What does it require? Well either some sort of insane engineering breakthrough that has man winning against mother natures most powerful weapon, the ocean, or we have to compromise with some areas being abandoned, others being redeveloped into less dense areas that coexist better with the shifting nature of those islands. We need to coexist, those islands cant support massive hotels and condos.

So why fight a losing battle? You know they can be saved right? The fight we are putting up only leads to the permanent loss of these islands. They are very important pieces of nature, but also as stated in a couple of the articles, are very big generators of tax dollar revenue for these counties and our state. We can't afford to lose highly lucrative sources of revenue. What does it require? Well either some sort of insane engineering breakthrough that has man winning against mother natures most powerful weapon, the ocean, or we have to compromise with some areas being abandoned, others being redeveloped into less dense areas that coexist better with the shifting nature of those islands.
Good luck getting a town to say they want to abandon their houses.

Good luck getting a town to say they want to abandon their houses.
Hah, I don't need to get them to say that, in my article, it's made clear that many homes were already lost to the ocean. Suppose this is an instance where people's rights have to be trampled on and they all got to be forced out, at least that's the "easy" ( obviously not) solution. We just sit by and let the greed of a few lead to a loss for us all?

Hah, I don't need to get them to say that, in my article, it's made clear that many homes were already lost to the ocean. Suppose this is an instance where people's rights have to be trampled on and they all got to be forced out, at least that's the "easy" ( obviously not) solution. We just sit by and let the greed of a few lead to a loss for us all?
I don't get paid enough to participate in this thread. I'm going on break.

Living at the beach.
Fine but I don't want to help pay for it! Get you a trailer or RV and live on the beach. Cheap, easily movable, and replaceable. Not going to lie though, I would love to live at the beach. Freak it lets fight the ocean and sink with the islands, Ill take my fancy condo!

Fine but I don't want to help pay for it! Get you a trailer or RV and live on the beach. Cheap, easily movable, and replaceable.
Nearly $26B dollars in tourism annually in NC and those beaches are a huge reason why, not to mention over 230k jobs created. "You" aren't paying for it

I had a couple classes at state where we actually had a decent portions of the class related to the geography/geology/ecology of the obx and development. I'd urge you to look for them and take them if you can if you are this passionate about it. They are much more eye opening than internet articles. I'll see if I can find an old copy of my transcript tonight to find the class number might even have the textbook in the attic

Nearly $26B dollars in tourism annually in NC and those beaches are a huge reason why, not to mention over 230k jobs created. "You" aren't paying for it
Our federal and state taxpayer dollars go back into protecting those beaches and private properties. The jobs created are low-wage service jobs that don't provide enough income for those working them to even live on those islands. Job creation is good but if we lose those beaches its all gone. Which is all the more reason to find an actual solution!

Our federal and state taxpayer dollars go back into protecting those beaches and private properties. The jobs created are low-wage service jobs that don't provide enough income for those working them to even live on those islands. Job creation is good but if we lose those beaches its all gone. Which is all the more reason to find an actual solution!
By tons of students, transfer students, etc... invaluable experience, not too mention small businesses owners who make more than that but would go out of business. But that's ok, let's spend those tax dollars on unemployment benefits and increase taxes to make up for tourism loss revenues.

By tons of students, transfer students, etc... invaluable experience, not too mention small businesses owners who make more than that but would go out of business. But that's ok, let's spend those tax dollars on unemployment benefits and increase taxes to make up for tourism loss revenues.
What? You are missing the point here which is heavy commercialization of the islands is causing us to lose them. You won't have any island to generate tourism revenue...come on mets you're better than that, don't misconstrue my post into something it was not suggesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back