• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021 Spring/Summer Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard the state is offering 100 dollars if you get vaccinated and 25 dollars for any friend you bring to get vaccinated . If we get vaccinated 10 times that’s 1000 dollars , much more rewarding than stocks . Plus we will be super immune to COVID. You in?
I'd take a chance and let them vax me 1 million times. 100 mil is ---- you money.

Imagine loosing grass to - whoops right thread
That’s what happens when you make mping threads, your grass turns Brown as a future side effect

@Tarheel1 I'm going to be driving through Dubuque in about a month. Anything interesting to do there? Already have plans to see the Field of Dreams down the road.
Could always hang out with him but his idea of fun is a bag of potato chips , beers , and Jerry springer. When he runs out of beer he hops on his John Deere lawn mower and drives it to the nearest gas station to buy more beer ( happens out here lmao). He is really just a grown up version of Beavis & Butthead

Could always hang out with him but his idea of fun is a bag of potato chips , beers , and Jerry springer. When he runs out of beer he hops on his John Deere lawn mower and drives it to the nearest gas station to buy more beer ( happens out here lmao). He is really just a grown up version of Beavis & Butthead
He might just pick him up a gas station girl lol

My wife and I have to get the vaccine, and so does our son. We really don't have a choice, and it is really a rock and a hard place scenario for us. I absolutely hate having to do this.

I talked to the pharmacist, who administered our first dose today. I understand the efficacy numbers, and I think those make a decent case for the vaccine. But he couldn't sufficiently answer the most important question to me: How are we to have confidence that some serious complications are not going to show up a few years from now in those who took the medicine? Vaccines take years to vet this stuff out. How could all of that be sufficiently addressed in a mere few months?

@Jon is a pharmacist. Maybe he'll be able to answer.

Anyway, this guy got out of the hospital and almost died with the Delta variant a couple weeks ago. He had the vaccine prior.

How do we know the vaccine won't induce a more serious reaction to the virus, particularly as it mutates?

I don't know the answers to those questions, so I don't know how to feel better about being part of the experiment. Maybe Jon or somebody else knows. But this pharmacist said we're figuring it out as we go. That, I believe. It's a big experiment, and I don't think that most people who are enthusiastic about the vaccine understand that.

We very well may be sacrificing our long term health for a near-term benefit that might not turn out to be all that great, when all is said and done.

Basically it helps to understand immunology and the technology behind mRNA vaccines and how vaccines work in general. Even as pharmacists, immunology as a course of study is some rigorous stuff. Because of this it’s often difficult to convince people not to be worried because things we don’t understand that we are injecting into our body aren’t exactly comforting. This by no means is mean to insult anyone, the vast majority of people aren’t supposed to understand cellular biology via Google. But if anyone can you can probably do so CR!

But that’s where we leave it to the experts, the FDA and scientific bodies to do the EUA and approve the vaccine. They know with 99.9% confidence there’s no long term health effects. They know because they have studied the body on a cellular level for a long time. Dozens of PhDs involved here.

From what I understand, mRNA technology has been around for decades, using it in such a large capacity hasn’t been done before, that’s true, but it doesn’t necessarily mean the science is new. Scientists have known how this works for a long time. Just like how weather forecasting products evolve over time, science does and will improve our lives long term. mRNA technology is quite possibly the biggest medical achievement of our lives. We may end up curing and treating many diseases with this tech. Someone will win the Nobel for this.

A few mRNA facts, off the top of my head and on my iPhone so please correct me if something seems off:

- mRNA cannot get into the nucleus of the cell, so it’s impossible to alter your DNA. This is 100% true. There’s no “maybe” about this, it can’t happen.

- mRNA is safer than using vectors, such as J&J’s shot, which uses a chimpanzee adenovirus to deliver the protein code. Not to discount J&J, but mRNA vaccines are literally just skipping that whole step. A shortcut if you will.

- they are more effective than using vectors because they can avoid anti-vector immunity, which would develop if you were to get boosters of J&J each year. This would make J&J less effective over time. Ex. 60% > 40% > 20%. mRNA vaccines avoid this, because the body doesn’t destroy it until it makes protein. The body would essentially destroy adenoviruses of a J&J booster, making it less efficacious.

-mRNA degrades and is 100% destroyed after it codes for the proteins to tell your body what to make antibodies for. The eventual proteins displayed on the cell are also 100% destroyed, the only thing left is protective immunity. These are your OWN cells made up of your OWN material. The only thing now is they know what covid looks like and can kill it faster. The instructions/proteins are 100% degraded.

-Once the vaccine mRNA is destroyed, and the protein is destroyed, you have immunity and antibodies to Covid. Antibodies can’t do anything unless they have something to attach to. So coronavirus antibodies aren’t doing anything in your blood until covid gets into your body and starts replicating. I picture them as the little machines in “The Matrix” that are trying to find Neo and Morpheus in the ship.

- Covid, on the other hand, replicates millions of times all over your body. It DESTROYS cells after it invades them. This is why some lose smell or have GI issues with covid. This is also why people have breathing issues. Covid replicates in your nose near your olfactory nerve and literally shreds your cells to pieces. Same thing in basically every organ system. The vaccine can’t and doesn’t do this. Covid also crosses the blood-brain barrier, which is the “Great Wall” and last defense for your brain. The same reason Benadryl makes you drowsy - it crosses that barrier and enters the brain. Covid does this, which you’d assume could cause major neurological dysfunction and long term health defects. It had been known to cause psychosis.

Bottom line:
- I understand the hesitation, I really do, but honestly you don’t want to be the one begging for the vaccine before you get intubated. When it’s too late. Before you mumble the words “do it” to the medical team and say goodbye to your family via your phone, and told you may not see them again — but they have to intubate to give your lungs a rest and to give your heart a rest, because they’re shutting down. Yes it has a high survival rate, but are you feeling lucky? What about long term health effects from being intubated and on ECMO? Covid strokes, ECMO strokes? Not being able to walk again? Learning how to walk again?

These vaccines are 1000% safer than the alternative, which is natural infection to COVID without any immunity. People somehow think their immunity is strong enough to handle it, how do you know? Because most people say it’s like a cold? Would the healthier people in the ICUs around the world say the same?

I know a teenager in the ICU right now.
Intubated. No pre existing conditions. Too young for the vaccine and dad refused to allow it.

For every “it’s just a cold” story there’s a story of regret, someone dying. My advice: remove the odds of that regret completely. Make it 0.00%

Basically it helps to understand immunology and the technology behind mRNA vaccines and how vaccines work in general. Even as pharmacists, immunology as a course of study is some rigorous stuff. Because of this it’s often difficult to convince people not to be worried because things we don’t understand that we are injecting into our body aren’t exactly comforting. This by no means is mean to insult anyone, the vast majority of people aren’t supposed to understand cellular biology via Google. But if anyone can you can probably do so CR!

But that’s where we leave it to the experts, the FDA and scientific bodies to do the EUA and approve the vaccine. They know with 99.9% confidence there’s no long term health effects. They know because they have studied the body on a cellular level for a long time. Dozens of PhDs involved here.

From what I understand, mRNA technology has been around for decades, using it in such a large capacity hasn’t been done before, that’s true, but it doesn’t necessarily mean the science is new. Scientists have known how this works for a long time. Just like how weather forecasting products evolve over time, science does and will improve our lives long term. mRNA technology is quite possibly the biggest medical achievement of our lives. We may end up curing and treating many diseases with this tech. Someone will win the Nobel for this.

A few mRNA facts, off the top of my head and on my iPhone so please correct me if something seems off:

- mRNA cannot get into the nucleus of the cell, so it’s impossible to alter your DNA. This is 100% true. There’s no “maybe” about this, it can’t happen.

- mRNA is safer than using vectors, such as J&J’s shot, which uses a chimpanzee adenovirus to deliver the protein code. Not to discount J&J, but mRNA vaccines are literally just skipping that whole step. A shortcut if you will.

- they are more effective than using vectors because they can avoid anti-vector immunity, which would develop if you were to get boosters of J&J each year. This would make J&J less effective over time. Ex. 60% > 40% > 20%. mRNA vaccines avoid this, because the body doesn’t destroy it until it makes protein. The body would essentially destroy adenoviruses of a J&J booster, making it less efficacious.

-mRNA degrades and is 100% destroyed after it codes for the proteins to tell your body what to make antibodies for. The eventual proteins displayed on the cell are also 100% destroyed, the only thing left is protective immunity. These are your OWN cells made up of your OWN material. The only thing now is they know what covid looks like and can kill it faster. The instructions/proteins are 100% degraded.

-Once the vaccine mRNA is destroyed, and the protein is destroyed, you have immunity and antibodies to Covid. Antibodies can’t do anything unless they have something to attach to. So coronavirus antibodies aren’t doing anything in your blood until covid gets into your body and starts replicating. I picture them as the little machines in “The Matrix” that are trying to find Neo and Morpheus in the ship.

- Covid, on the other hand, replicates millions of times all over your body. It DESTROYS cells after it invades them. This is why some lose smell or have GI issues with covid. This is also why people have breathing issues. Covid replicates in your nose near your olfactory nerve and literally shreds your cells to pieces. Same thing in basically every organ system. The vaccine can’t and doesn’t do this. Covid also crosses the blood-brain barrier, which is the “Great Wall” and last defense for your brain. The same reason Benadryl makes you drowsy - it crosses that barrier and enters the brain. Covid does this, which you’d assume could cause major neurological dysfunction and long term health defects. It had been known to cause psychosis.

Bottom line:
- I understand the hesitation, I really do, but honestly you don’t want to be the one begging for the vaccine before you get intubated. When it’s too late. Before you mumble the words “do it” to the medical team and say goodbye to your family via your phone, and told you may not see them again — but they have to intubate to give your lungs a rest and to give your heart a rest, because they’re shutting down. Yes it has a high survival rate, but are you feeling lucky? What about long term health effects from being intubated and on ECMO? Covid strokes, ECMO strokes? Not being able to walk again? Learning how to walk again?

These vaccines are 1000% safer than the alternative, which is natural infection to COVID without any immunity. People somehow think their immunity is strong enough to handle it, how do you know? Because most people say it’s like a cold? Would the healthier people in the ICUs around the world say the same?

Intubated. No pre existing conditions. Too young for the vaccine and dad refused to allow it.

For every “it’s just a cold” story there’s a story of regret, someone dying. My advice: remove the odds of that regret completely. Make it 0.00%
While some opinions may not budge, this is a awesome breakdown man.

Bottom line:

Good info. Thank you.

Bottom line:

Great post, Jon. Thank you!

To take the vaccine or not is a decision, as an adult, I should be able to make without government intrusion into my medical business.

You nailed it. Unfortunately we are dealing with a party in charge whoose leaders and followers truly think a government can decide whats better for individuals and that every individual should should just fall in line. Wow. America used to stand for freedom, hope, opportunity, and the power of the people. Now half the country literally fights against those ideals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back