• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021 Spring/Summer Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at what Thor said , when the devs dry up the town goes broke . A broke town is not healthy , a town that’s solely reliant on growing non stop is not healthy . That’s not sustainable , what happens when development drys up and infrastructure costs pile on, someone has to shoulder the cost . Then what , quality of life goes down .
I personally don't know of any well-off communities that have gone broke and dry up. I'm sure there are some suburban excurb areas that are under a little bit more pressure during economic downturns but they're also the first places to revitalize and start growing again once the economy comes back.

I personally don't know of any well-off communities that have gone broke and dry up. I'm sure there are some suburban excurb areas that are under a little bit more pressure during economic downturns but they're also the first places to revitalize and start growing again once the economy comes back.
Much of the northeast is a prime example . Suburbanization spread the population out quickly , eventually that slowed down and costs went up. New Jersey has high property taxes for a reason , they have a lot to pay for . Even then, they still can’t keep up.

Look at what Thor said , when the devs dry up the town goes broke . A broke town is not healthy , a town that’s solely reliant on growing non stop is not healthy . That’s not sustainable , what happens when development drys up and infrastructure costs pile on, someone has to shoulder the cost . Then what , quality of life goes down .
I grew up in the sticks... I like progress and new things being built with nice roads. Many times you don't have nice roads unless you have the population to pay for it.

Much of the northeast is a prime example . Suburbanization spread the population out quickly , eventually that slowed down and costs went up. New Jersey has high property taxes for a reason , they have a lot to pay for . Even then, they still can’t keep up.
That probably has more to do with political things than the developers.

That probably has more to do with political things than the developers.
Not entirely , I know what you are getting at and it’s very true as well. They stifled growth with policies limiting sprawl , which led to pressures on the housing market since the area was still desirable but now new housing couldn’t be built . California is feeling the same thing too .New Jersey is interesting though because it’s essentially out of developable land as well, which means they need to densify , however lots of NIMBYism holding that back .New Jersey is a great place to live if you can afford it. Great schools and jobs .

@Thor dude I acknowledged your knowledge on the subject matter . Why so harsh , your already offering plenty of insight for me to read which I appreciate .I even apologized for being so damn interested in the subject and talking about it lol.
Being interested is good but you have to see the other side. I have walked creeks with developers in Raleigh cleaning up trash. I have watched them pay incredible amounts of money to build low income housing that is not profitable so they can support the part of the project that is profitable. These people especially the local developers are not evil. They are solid businesses. This stuff isn't easy. Remember when Harvey hit Houston? That was irresponsible development ignoring Impervious surface probably completed 20-30 years ago. Standards are evolving, they just lag behind a bit. If we don't keep building better, what is our defense against crazy weather that will happen. We design to 100 year floods which are happening with more regularity. Want to know what they designed to in the 80's?

I’m not anti development , I’m just anti the kind of development prevalent in much of America . I love development a lot , it’s nice when people make more money and quality of life goes up. It’s not nice when things go corrupt and become unsustainable . I wonder if Texas development is more sustainable despite being the most sprawling , they have high property taxes . You need that to pay for all the roads needed to connect suburban density level development .

Being interested is good but you have to see the other side. I have walked creeks with developers in Raleigh cleaning up trash. I have watched them pay incredible amounts of money to build low income housing that is not profitable so they can support the part of the project that is profitable. These people especially the local developers are not evil. They are solid businesses. This stuff isn't easy. Remember when Harvey hit Houston? That was irresponsible development ignoring Impervious surface probably completed 20-30 years ago. Standards are evolving, they just lag behind a bit. If we don't keep building better, what is our defense against crazy weather that will happen. We design to 100 year floods which are happening with more regularity. Want to know what they designed to in the 80's?
Local developers aren’t responsible for much of the growth though. It’s the DR Hortons of the developer world doing a lot of it . I will say though , cleaning up trash from a creek isn’t enough compared to the environmental stress they create . That’s general posturing , political in nature . I like the idea of denser housing ( we build denser we can get more homes and cheaper ) , I like the idea of developers contributing to funds getting open space and greenways . It’s not even developers fault really , they do what they can given laws and demands , it’s local governments and regular citizens like us who are against what’s best a lot of the time . Not-In - My-Backyardism in lots of Raleigh for example preventing denser housing being allowed . Everyone likes growth but then when the area wants to grow more they become against it , do it right in the first place won’t have that issue .

Also I don’t want to imagine development in the 80s. I’m glad Raleigh didn’t take off till the 90s and 00s when standards were better than what other southern cities had back in the 70s and 80s when they took off ( ATL , Dallas , etc).

I love Kane developers in Raleigh. My favorite .
We do all of their work, ill actually be in their office some this week talking about Downtown South, but I work for Dr Horton, and Lennar, and Pulte and all the national groups too. They hire local talent for their local offices, that's the only way to know the system enough to get plans approved. And I disagree that people spending their weekends picking up trash and donating money to local non profits is posturing. Does it help them in the community relations department....yeah but I mean it still sucks. My company has a Natural Resources department and they are a huge pain in my ass. We argue over every tree and wetland flag but it's checks and balances. When you cross that invisible line to Johnston County all of that dissapears. Incompetent local governments are the people you have problems with....I could tell you horror stories about what the qualifications are of individuals employed to review these plans....but in rural areas they barely look at them.

We do all of their work, ill actually be in their office some this week talking about Downtown South, but I work for Dr Horton, and Lennar, and Pulte and all the national groups too. They hire local talent for their local offices, that's the only way to know the system enough to get plans approved. And I disagree that people spending their weekends picking up trash and donating money to local non profits is posturing. Does it help them in the community relations department....yeah but I mean it still sucks. My company has a Natural Resources department and they are a huge pain in my ass. We argue over every tree and wetland flag but it's checks and balances. When you cross that invisible line to Johnston County all of that dissapears. Incompetent local governments are the people you have problems with....I could tell you horror stories about what the qualifications are of individuals employed to review these plans....but in rural areas they barely look at them.
I’m not surprised , Johnston county is horrifying from archer lodge on down to Clayton. It’s probably nothing but nepotism though behind a lot of those poor hiring choices . Makes sense now why 96 south in Johnston county has development but not 96 in wake county .

Can you tell me about the development going in on 401 just S of the springs? Looks like it's going to be a monster and on both sides of the highway

North Myrtle Beach was beautiful :)
a7362f7edb8dd10ec2ba3340690fcf03.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Local developers aren’t responsible for much of the growth though. It’s the DR Hortons of the developer world doing a lot of it . I will say though , cleaning up trash from a creek isn’t enough compared to the environmental stress they create . That’s general posturing , political in nature . I like the idea of denser housing ( we build denser we can get more homes and cheaper ) , I like the idea of developers contributing to funds getting open space and greenways . It’s not even developers fault really , they do what they can given laws and demands , it’s local governments and regular citizens like us who are against what’s best a lot of the time . Not-In - My-Backyardism in lots of Raleigh for example preventing denser housing being allowed . Everyone likes growth but then when the area wants to grow more they become against it , do it right in the first place won’t have that issue .
My area is fighting this now. Everyone moved out here to get away now there are probably 5 developments going in within 5 miles. Can't do much but say oh well I tried and get on a soap box or go bankrupt buying land to prevent development. On the bright side since this is a hot new area my house is printing money daily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back