• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021 Spring/Summer Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we are on the March to winter since the days will be getting shorter soon. Just think in about 45 days you will start noticing longer shadows
Oh yeah I know I was making fun of the shock he has at weather and expectations of weather to adhere exactly to astronomical seasons lol. We keep warming tho till mid July due to thermal lag. So we aren’t at the peak yet.

Reactions: SD
I really fear for that Sparta to Wilkesboro line. Something bad bad bad is going to happen.

Woke up from two earthquakes last night both in Wilkes county nc.
Don’t worry that shaking was just good ol Aunt Bertha taking a fall from the bed . Remember last time she caused a quake cuz of that? You know how us Wilkes county folks are. 600 pounds plus !

It’s warmer in Baltimore than Atlanta. That’s crazy since Atlanta is farther south.

It happens more often than one would think.

It's really the sun angle that makes all the difference when people say it's hotter down south. 90 degrees at 40*N latitude doesn't quite hit you the same as 90 degrees at 30*N latitude.

To go along with the annoying bumper stickers. I have these weather related sayings that annoy the hell out of me.

1. Don't like the weather in "Insert state Name" wait ten minutes.
2. Me: Talking about some anomalous weather that has recently occurred.
Them: Welcome to "Insert state Name"

Both of these I have heard in multiple states personally, And they make me cringe. Let's not be these people.
33AD3B7B-A439-43FE-9DF8-D1EF4E7DDF14.png538CEB00-C0F7-42AC-836C-029567E2F919.png791413FE-C465-40AF-B530-DFECEA7B4437.png55D8C156-2995-4B90-B83A-05815EBD3B27.png

It happens more often than one would think.

It's really the sun angle that makes all the difference when people say it's hotter down south. 90 degrees at 40*N latitude doesn't quite hit you the same as 90 degrees at 30*N latitude.
Actually, the difference in the sun strength is very minimal from 30 to 40 n during the summer solstice. The bigger difference is in winter, its a bigger jump in strength from a 30-degree sun angle to a 40-degree sun angle than it is from an 83-degree sun angle to a 73-degree angle. Despite Miami having a sun angle 10 degrees higher than ours year-round, the difference in summer strength is only marginally so whereas on the winter solstice their angle is 30 % stronger than ours. I think people notice the oppressive humidity which makes them feel like its stronger.

Actually, the difference in the sun strength is very minimal from 30 to 40 n during the summer solstice. The bigger difference is in winter, its a bigger jump in strength from a 30-degree sun angle to a 40-degree sun angle than it is from an 83-degree sun angle to a 73-degree angle. Despite Miami having a sun angle 10 degrees higher than ours year-round, the difference in summer strength is only marginally so whereas on the winter solstice their angle is 30 % stronger than ours. I think people notice the oppressive humidity which makes them feel like its stronger.
Here is an explanation of the above post, essentially a lower angle disperses sun energy across a greater area. sin of 30 degrees is .5 while 90 is 1, so the energy is dispersed over an area twice as great as that at an angle of 90. So the amount of sunlight directed at one square mile is much greater at 90 than it is at 30, but the difference from 70 to 90 is much less than the difference from 50 to 70 or 30 to 50.

Last edited:
Here is an explanation of the above post, essentially a lower angle disperses sun energy across a greater area. sin of 30 degrees is .5 while 90 is 9, so the energy is dispersed over an area twice as great as that at an angle of 90. So the amount of sunlight directed at one square mile is much greater at 90 than it is at 30, but the difference from 70 to 90 is much less than the difference from 50 to 70 or 30 to 50.

And that's why you get ice ages because the positive feedback with sun angle and high albedo from ice takes over when CO2 drops low enough which is about 170 ppm. Earth was frozen almost to the equator at least twice when the sun was dimmer and the feedback was stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that's why you get ice ages because the positive feedback with sun angle and high albedo from ice takes over when CO2 drops low enough which is about 170 ppm. Earth was frozen almost to the equator at least twice when the sun was dimmer and the feedback was stronger.

A ppm of 170 and lower is enough to choke all plant life on earth out... we were hovering in the 200s during the pre-industrial era, dangerously close... and yall want to go back to that? lol.

A ppm of 170 and lower is enough to choke all plant life on earth out... we were hovering in the 200s during the pre-industrial era, dangerously close... and yall want to go back to that? lol.

About 350ppm or lower would be good enough to keep the climate stable.

All of these are so cringe worthy. People don't realize that 70 in DJF is probably as or more common than snow. Not to mention most of our snow occurs at the end of a prolonged cold period so the human effect feels different. It's been a while since we had a widespread snow event on the front end of a large prolonged cold shot
My dad is shocked every year when we get those 70 degree days in winter, and it is more common than snow id guess ( not sure how to verify), 1/9 days will hit 70 over DJF roughly. I think the culprit is people have this cartoonish (aka dewwy dan) idea of seasons ( winter =cold summer =hot), they lack the nuanced understanding of climate. It makes it much easier this way to convince people of this massive global warming idea when they aren't aware of what generally happens in their climate.

All of these are so cringe worthy. People don't realize that 70 in DJF is probably as or more common than snow. Not to mention most of our snow occurs at the end of a prolonged cold period so the human effect feels different. It's been a while since we had a widespread snow event on the front end of a large prolonged cold shot
It has been a long time! I’m guessing Jan 88? It was bitterly cold before and bitterly cold during and bitterly cold after! I’d love to know how far below normal the first 3 weeks of January 88 was, around CLT, the whole month had to be -6 to -8 against average, atleast!

Reactions: SD
It has been a long time! I’m guessing Jan 88? It was bitterly cold before and bitterly cold during and bitterly cold after! I’d love to know how far below normal the first 3 weeks of January 88 was, around CLT, the whole month had to be -6 to -8 against average, atleast!
I'd guess 2015 here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back