• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical 2021 hurricane season thread

Im surprised no one posted about this.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_42.png

Starts south of Cuba .

It is interesting, the GFS has some version of this in varying degrees and locations every run.....its also part of the reason why GAWX happy hr maps are so insane lol..

It is interesting, the GFS has some version of this in varying degrees and locations every run.....its also part of the reason why GAWX happy hr maps are so insane lol..
Yeah the gfs is by far the most enthusiastic with the entire gyre and eventual spin up which as you said leads to the gefs looking threatening. When the cmc and its ens are unenthusuatic it gives me pause

Yeah the gfs is by far the most enthusiastic with the entire gyre and eventual spin up which as you said leads to the gefs looking threatening. When the cmc and its ens are unenthusuatic it gives me pause

No doubt but GFS has led the way several times this year and that whole evolution looks very Octoberey.....

No doubt but GFS has led the way several times this year and that whole evolution looks very Octoberey.....
Yeah there have been some recent analogs that had some of the systems from the deep Caribbean showing up but they are gfs based so it makes sense they would lol. These gyre systems in that area are always so messy to resolve for every wilma/Ida you have 2 storms that had 40 little vorts competing and nothing got going. All things considered though with the big ridge in the east we certainly will have the potential to see something get going in that area

Just flipping through the gfs and looking at satellite it like like the wave near the islands may be part of what the gfs keys on to really get this system going

6Z GEFS mean shows classic “Ridge Over Troubled Waters” pattern in the 6-10 day period and one can see the result during the 11-15 day period:

06F46A1F-5358-443C-807A-9B8A821376F1.png

9A7653E9-9CA9-4435-9AD9-7C847FA73C5A.png

5DDAEFBE-D8A7-4A9D-B86A-5205E6278D6E.png

CED70AA1-69B4-47F5-A8BE-755948F4D8D2.png

Just flipping through the gfs and looking at satellite it like like the wave near the islands may be part of what the gfs keys on to really get this system going

Yeah part of the wave ( maybe use to be a invest ) around 50-55W way down around 12N looks to be the focus south of Cuba....maybe......lol its hard to tell.

1633095313145.png

Just checking the time. No, it is way too early for Happy Hour. Nevertheless: :eek:

gfsen_12_mslps_gc_h_0216.png

Lord, Larry, I thought we were friends ... ?

Well, the good news is that the 12Z Euro has nothing of the sort. Neither does the 12Z Crazy Uncle suite. So, the GFS suite may be on crack for all we know. The uncertainty makes for interesting discussions.

Well, the good news is that the 12Z Euro has nothing of the sort. Neither does the 12Z Crazy Uncle suite. So, the GFS suite may be on crack for all we know. The uncertainty makes for interesting discussions.
Well, since I'm largely working from home and my boss can't see me (LOL) I'm open to discussion ... ?

Well, since I'm largely working from home and my boss can't see me (LOL) I'm open to discussion ... ?

It may not look like much but the 12Z EPS, unlike the prior run's no TCs then, actually has 3 members with TCs in the far W Caribbean at hour 156 when the 12Z GEFS starts going to town: could it be that the EPS is just slow to catch on?

Here is the 12Z EPS 156 with 3 TCs:

OUfjZE8.png

Here was the 0Z EPS with none:

sPvf5TG.png

The 3 TCs later in the 12Z EPS run when the 0Z EPS had none:

NeYF9rJ.png

I'm not sure how this may play into tropical activity in the first half of Oct, but this is about as warm as it has ever been for the eastern 3/4 of the CONUS overall (though not for the SE US specifically) in the first half of October on the EPS (CMC and GEFS similar). Any feelings on the implications?

DqFDiSC.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure how this may play into tropical activity in the first half of Oct, but this is about as warm as it has ever been for the eastern 3/4 of the CONUS overall (though not for the SE US specifically) in the first half of October on the EPS (CMC and GEFS similar). Any feelings on the implications?

DqFDiSC.png

Basic form is it sucks for deer season thats opening soon.

DqFDiSC.png
Goes out over 15 days so implications are hard to gauge ... where's the high's, where's the lows, where's the jet and so on ... having said that, I strongly suspect that a front is gonna stall in the Gulf sometime in the next 2 - 3 weeks and offer an opportunity for somehing to kick up ... and having said that ... if my forecasting skills are any indication ... we're done with named storms ... ?

... and FWIW and being a tad bit dated ...

gth_full.png

And right on schedule, here is the Happy Hour GFS doing Happy Hour things:

JSVU4VL.png

And now there's this offshore the SE US on the HH GFS, similar to prior runs but trapped this time with ridging to the north: Is this also a ghost? I don't know but this is a classic "Ridge Over Troubled Waters" pattern fwiw:

BZQ2OYS.png

This thing off the Atlantic gets S FL on the 18Z GFS:
s5CLNaQ.png

Hold on, folks, the HH GEFS is looking to be a wild one again.

8xLvtv1.png

Back