• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021-22 Fall/Winter Whamby Thread

I know you are being facetious a bit but objectively speaking even ITP is not that urban at all. Anywhere with single family homes on wide streets with lawns and heavy tree cover is objectively suburban. Also what the hell , there’s a TON of empty lots sitting right next to downtown . How is that possible in a city like Atlanta that land like that just sits there . It highlights why Atlanta is so spread out . I noticed a similar thing in Houston and dallas with vast areas of open land in downtown despite the metro covering tons of area . In Raleigh any open lot is scooped up fast in downtown . That’s some terrible city design on Atlanta’s part though I’d wager a lot of it is NIMBYism. Got to love inner city liberals NIMBYs, want affordable housing in the city but not in their backyard .

ITP is a eye sore and a crime waiting to happen. It’s a large city that has be run by terrible people. It’s over crowded and only getting worse. Atlanta has 2 parts. 1) the city 2) ---- area.

ITP is a eye sore and a crime waiting to happen. It’s a large city that has be run by terrible people. It’s over crowded and only getting worse. Atlanta has 2 parts. 1) the city 2) ---- area.
Atlanta's growth rate is nuts, the fact the metro can still add 1 million people a decade is insane. I suppose if you add Raleigh and charlotte together it amounts to something similar though. The state legislature here passed a budget dedicated nearly 300 million dollars to conservation projects this year versus 30 million last year. Pre-recession the state used to dedicate hundreds of millions a year to conservation... then sadly Republicans gutted it all in 2010. Atlanta needs me to lead it as an iron-fisted dictator, ill shape it into the greatest city on earth! Ill bring crime down and through the use of big-city government ill revamp zoning rules to allow for denser housing . screw the nimbys.

Atlanta's growth rate is nuts, the fact the metro can still add 1 million people a decade is insane.
It’s growing like crazy man. They are pushing poor people OTP and the downtown area is getting pricey. Causing crime to increase outside 285 due to low income housing and MARTA expanding. The school systems are terrible as well. It’s not a place most normal people want to move too.

It’s growing like crazy man. They are pushing poor people OTP and the downtown area is getting pricey. Causing crime to increase outside 285 due to low income housing and MARTA expanding. The school systems are terrible as well. It’s not a place most normal people want to move too.
Inner city liberal 101 " we want more affordable housing!" city comes in to rezone their area to allow for denser housing, therefore more affordable " oh no no no we didn't meannnnn hereeeeee" so city cant do anything but shift it to somewhere further out lol. Here in Zebulon alone they built 2 new projects in the last 6 years. We already have plenty of government housing out here lol, like 25% the town at least is gov housing.

Inner city liberal 101 " we want more affordable housing!" city comes in to rezone their area to allow for denser housing, therefore more affordable " oh no no no we didn't meannnnn hereeeeee" so city cant do anything but shift it to somewhere further out lol. Here in Zebulon alone they built 2 new projects in the last 6 years. We already have plenty of government housing out here lol, like 25% the town at least is gov housing.
Government housing = crime. Not a fan.

Mini rant:

Looks can be deceiving but, the smaller storms like this one in the earlier part of the record are almost always harder to re-analyze, esp when so many voluntary observers don't seem to understand the difference between a dusting-0.5" of snow and a trace. If a trace of snow is "on the ground" that's not a trace of snow (ugh).

December 11-12 1957 NC Snowmap.jpg

Just as an example of what I go through every time to make this end map, here are the obs + notes I took on this particular storm (do this for every storm). Some of them are comments from the COOP observer, others are mine, mainly reasoning for changes I made to each individual COOP ob.

Albemarle T Light snow
Andrews T Snow flurry
Arcola M 0.10” QPF
Asheboro 1.0 0.03” QPF Snow
Asheville 1.0
Asheville Apt T Snow flurries
Banner Elk 3.6
Bath 1.2 Snow started at 330pm
Belhaven T
Bent Creek M
Black Mtn 1.0 Snow
Blowing Rock M snow 0.03” QPF
Bluff 0.5
Boone 2.5
Brevard T Light snow flurry
Burlington 0.2 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow. 0.03” QPF Started snowing 7:15am, stopped about 1030am
Canton T Snow flurries
Cape Fear Lock 3 (Bladen) 1.0 1” snow depth reported 0.16” QPF
Cape Hatteras T
Cedar Island 1.3
Celo T
Chapel Hill 1.0 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow. M 0.10” QPF
Charlotte T T QPF
Clayton 0.1 0.10” QPF
Clinton 1.0 Snowed about 2 hours (Dec 11)
Concord 0.2 0.2” of snow & sleet on ground at 8am (Dec 11)
Conway, SC 1.3 0.09” QPF
Crossnore 0.7
Cullowhee 0.3
Danville, VA T
Durham 0.8 10: SLRs used, all precip was snow 0.08” QPF snow reported in comments
Eden T Likely only a trace of snow fell. Snow & Sleet reported
Elizabeth City T Snowed from 7-10am, not enough to stick
Elizabeth City FAA T
Elizabethtown 0.3” 0.11” QPF
Elizabethtown FAA T
Emporia, VA 2.0 0.52” QPF
Enka T
Faison T Snow
Fayetteville 2.0 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow 0.20” QPF
Fort Bragg 1.8 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow 0.18” QPF
Franklin 0.1 Blowed snow
Gatesville T First snow flurry
Glendale Springs 1.0
Goldsboro T
Goldsboro 4 SE T
Graham 0.2 0.02” QPF
Greensboro PTI T
Greensboro WTP T
Greenville 1.0 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow 0.11” QPF
Hamlet T Snow
Haw River T
Helton 0.9 Snow flurries
Henderson 4 NNE T
Hendersonville 9 WNW T
Hot Springs 4.0 4” snow depth
Hot Springs 2 3.0
Jackson Springs 1.2 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow 0.12” QPF
Jefferson 0.5
Kinston 1.2 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow 0.12” QPF
Lake Raleigh 1.0
Laurinburg 0.8 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow 0.08” QPF Snow reported
Lewiston T snow melted as it fell
Lexington T snowflakes fell on the 11th
Loris, SC 0.8 0.08” QPF
Louisburg 1.5 approx. 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow 0.16” QPF
Lumberton 3.0 0.15” QPF
Marshall 0.1
McCullers 1.0
Moncure Observation of a trace of snow deemed unreliable based on nearby obs
Monroe T
Morganton M
Mt Airy T
Mt Gilead 0.1 0.09” QPF
Mt Mitchell 3.0
Myrtle Beach, SC 0.4 0.04” QPF
Nantahala T
Nashville 0.7 10:1 SLRs used. Observer likely misreported 0.07” QPF as 0.70”, the latter is inconsistent with nearby obs. Snow reported
Neuse Observation of a trace of snow deemed unreliable based on nearby obs
New Bern T Rain & snow mixed
Norfolk, VA 1.0 0.16” QPF
Oxford T Snow flurries, misty
Oxford Filter Plant T Snow flurries on the 11th
Parker 2.3
Pinehurst 1.0
Pope AFB T
Raleigh 4 SW M 0.11” QPF
Raleigh State Univ. M Rain & snow 0.10” QPF
Ramseur 2.0 Snow melted quickly after falling
Randleman T Snow started at 7am on the 11th
RDU 1.0 0.12” QPF
Red Springs 1.0
Reidsville T
Rock House 0.3
Rockingham 0.1 Sleet
Rocky Mount T
Rocky Mount 8 ESE T
Salisbury T First snow
Salisbury 9 WNW T
Sanford 1.0 1” snow depth reported (Dec 11)
Scotland Neck 0.1
Shelby T Snowflakes
Siler City 1.2 10:1 SLRs used, precip was all snow 0.12” QPF Snow 7am to noon
Smithfield T Light snowfall on the 11th. T snow depth reported
Southern Pines M
Southport M
Tarboro T
Trenton T
Tuckasegee T
Tungsten Mines T Likely only a trace fell given the amount of QPF & nearby obs
Wadesboro T
Washington 0.1 Observer reported trace of snow on the ground on 12th. At least 0.1” must have fallen if snow was observed on the ground
Waterville 8.0
Waynesville 0.5
Weldon T Trace snow reported
Whiteville 0.6 10:1 SLRs used. All precipitation was snow 0.06” QPF
Wilbar T
Wilkesboro T
Willard T
William O Huske 1.0 0.16” QPF 1” snow depth reported, consistent with nearby obs
Williamston 1.4 0.16” QPF
Wilmington 1.0 0.11” QPF
Wilmington 7N 0.8” 0.08” QPF Snow
Winston-Salem T
Wilson T Precip was all snow 1043am to 405pm (Dec 11). Most melted
Yanceyville T

Government housing = crime. Not a fan.
The poor areas of inner-city Raleigh are being gentrified. The houses they build are hideous too, like ugly boxy homes with giant windows. My favorite style of home is 2 storied with a second-story balcony and a nice front porch. I love the homes in charleston, that's a good example of nice dense housing. New Orleans is another good one. I also think the row houses of Richmond, Baltimore, and DC are an excellent idea for inner-city homes.

Mini rant:

Looks can be deceiving but, the smaller storms like this one in the earlier part of the record are almost always harder to re-analyze, esp when so many voluntary observers don't seem to understand the difference between a dusting-0.5" of snow and a trace. If a trace of snow is "on the ground" that's not a trace of snow (ugh).

View attachment 95626

Just as an example of what I go through every time to make this end map, here are the obs + notes I took on this particular storm (do this for every storm). Some of them are comments from the COOP observer, others are mine, mainly reasoning for changes I made to each individual COOP ob.

Albemarle T Light snow
Andrews T Snow flurry
Arcola M 0.10” QPF
Asheboro 1.0 0.03” QPF Snow
Asheville 1.0
Asheville Apt T Snow flurries
Banner Elk 3.6
Bath 1.2 Snow started at 330pm
Belhaven T
Bent Creek M
Black Mtn 1.0 Snow
Blowing Rock M snow 0.03” QPF
Bluff 0.5
Boone 2.5
Brevard T Light snow flurry
Burlington 0.2 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow. 0.03” QPF Started snowing 7:15am, stopped about 1030am
Canton T Snow flurries
Cape Fear Lock 3 (Bladen) 1.0 1” snow depth reported 0.16” QPF
Cape Hatteras T
Cedar Island 1.3
Celo T
Chapel Hill 1.0 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow. M 0.10” QPF
Charlotte T T QPF
Clayton 0.1 0.10” QPF
Clinton 1.0 Snowed about 2 hours (Dec 11)
Concord 0.2 0.2” of snow & sleet on ground at 8am (Dec 11)
Conway, SC 1.3 0.09” QPF
Crossnore 0.7
Cullowhee 0.3
Danville, VA T
Durham 0.8 10: SLRs used, all precip was snow 0.08” QPF snow reported in comments
Eden T Likely only a trace of snow fell. Snow & Sleet reported
Elizabeth City T Snowed from 7-10am, not enough to stick
Elizabeth City FAA T
Elizabethtown 0.3” 0.11” QPF
Elizabethtown FAA T
Emporia, VA 2.0 0.52” QPF
Enka T
Faison T Snow
Fayetteville 2.0 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow 0.20” QPF
Fort Bragg 1.8 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow 0.18” QPF
Franklin 0.1 Blowed snow
Gatesville T First snow flurry
Glendale Springs 1.0
Goldsboro T
Goldsboro 4 SE T
Graham 0.2 0.02” QPF
Greensboro PTI T
Greensboro WTP T
Greenville 1.0 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow 0.11” QPF
Hamlet T Snow
Haw River T
Helton 0.9 Snow flurries
Henderson 4 NNE T
Hendersonville 9 WNW T
Hot Springs 4.0 4” snow depth
Hot Springs 2 3.0
Jackson Springs 1.2 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow 0.12” QPF
Jefferson 0.5
Kinston 1.2 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow 0.12” QPF
Lake Raleigh 1.0
Laurinburg 0.8 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow 0.08” QPF Snow reported
Lewiston T snow melted as it fell
Lexington T snowflakes fell on the 11th
Loris, SC 0.8 0.08” QPF
Louisburg 1.5 approx. 10:1 SLRs used, all precip was snow 0.16” QPF
Lumberton 3.0 0.15” QPF
Marshall 0.1
McCullers 1.0
Moncure Observation of a trace of snow deemed unreliable based on nearby obs
Monroe T
Morganton M
Mt Airy T
Mt Gilead 0.1 0.09” QPF
Mt Mitchell 3.0
Myrtle Beach, SC 0.4 0.04” QPF
Nantahala T
Nashville 0.7 10:1 SLRs used. Observer likely misreported 0.07” QPF as 0.70”, the latter is inconsistent with nearby obs. Snow reported
Neuse Observation of a trace of snow deemed unreliable based on nearby obs
New Bern T Rain & snow mixed
Norfolk, VA 1.0 0.16” QPF
Oxford T Snow flurries, misty
Oxford Filter Plant T Snow flurries on the 11th
Parker 2.3
Pinehurst 1.0
Pope AFB T
Raleigh 4 SW M 0.11” QPF
Raleigh State Univ. M Rain & snow 0.10” QPF
Ramseur 2.0 Snow melted quickly after falling
Randleman T Snow started at 7am on the 11th
RDU 1.0 0.12” QPF
Red Springs 1.0
Reidsville T
Rock House 0.3
Rockingham 0.1 Sleet
Rocky Mount T
Rocky Mount 8 ESE T
Salisbury T First snow
Salisbury 9 WNW T
Sanford 1.0 1” snow depth reported (Dec 11)
Scotland Neck 0.1
Shelby T Snowflakes
Siler City 1.2 10:1 SLRs used, precip was all snow 0.12” QPF Snow 7am to noon
Smithfield T Light snowfall on the 11th. T snow depth reported
Southern Pines M
Southport M
Tarboro T
Trenton T
Tuckasegee T
Tungsten Mines T Likely only a trace fell given the amount of QPF & nearby obs
Wadesboro T
Washington 0.1 Observer reported trace of snow on the ground on 12th. At least 0.1” must have fallen if snow was observed on the ground
Waterville 8.0
Waynesville 0.5
Weldon T Trace snow reported
Whiteville 0.6 10:1 SLRs used. All precipitation was snow 0.06” QPF
Wilbar T
Wilkesboro T
Willard T
William O Huske 1.0 0.16” QPF 1” snow depth reported, consistent with nearby obs
Williamston 1.4 0.16” QPF
Wilmington 1.0 0.11” QPF
Wilmington 7N 0.8” 0.08” QPF Snow
Winston-Salem T
Wilson T Precip was all snow 1043am to 405pm (Dec 11). Most melted
Yanceyville T

Vs a storm like this in the very same winter, where everyone and their brother seemed to be reporting on it. The big dogs are harder to miss I guess.

February 15-16 1958 NC Snowmap.jpg

The poor areas of inner-city Raleigh are being gentrified. The houses they build are hideous too, like ugly boxy homes with giant windows. My favorite style of home is 2 storied with a second-story balcony and a nice front porch. I love the homes in charleston, that's a good example of nice dense housing. New Orleans is another good one. I also think the row houses of Richmond, Baltimore, and DC are an excellent idea for inner-city homes.
So all places with crime issues.

In another life, I probably could have been an urban planner. When I was a child my favorite game was sim city. I was an expert. I also used to take legos, boxes, all my little Hotwheels/planes/animals etc and build an entire city over my room. I always built it in a grid structure. I had a little mp3 player with a camera that I took pictures with. Wonder if I can get it up and running and see my childhood creation again.

The lego skyscrapers, shoebox buildings, hell i even stacked books too. I would use a rug as an island and build an airport on it, a zoo, parks etc. I would pretend the bed was a mountain etc . It was beautiful

Life has crushed me man. :(

So all places with crime issues.
Name one densely populated area with low crime. I suppose NYC pre covid would be a good one. That may surprise a lot of people but its not that crime-ridden. Post Giuliani, Bloomberg NYC was peaceful. I mean portland and Seattle pre covid as well may be good options.

You do present an interesting and very true reality, the American "slums" of the future are not the inner city but rather suburban areas. That's a challenge as there is not as much infrastructure dedicated to assisting impoverished families in suburban areas ( urban ministries, community centers, boys and girls clubs, etc etc) versus urban areas.

You do present an interesting and very true reality, the American "slums" of the future are not the inner city but rather suburban areas. That's a challenge as there is not as much infrastructure dedicated to assisting impoverished families in suburban areas ( urban ministries, community centers, boys and girls clubs, etc etc) versus urban areas.
Yep. That’s why people will keep moving until you can’t move anymore.

Yep. That’s why people will keep moving until you can’t move anymore.
That's horrible though, not good for people and not good for mother nature. Unfortunately, we are the problem, we say we want to change but aren't willing to allow the change needed to happen. Ex. NIMBYism in cities preventing affordable housing from being built forcing it further out , minimal push for large transportation infrastructure changes needed to allow for better cities, etc etc. Literally, and I mean literally, the only thing that will remedy this is going to be a declining human population in the latter half of this century. Pretty messed up, didn't have to be like that but we aren't living in a sustainable way and are refusing to change.

Atlanta's growth rate is nuts, the fact the metro can still add 1 million people a decade is insane. I suppose if you add Raleigh and charlotte together it amounts to something similar though. The state legislature here passed a budget dedicated nearly 300 million dollars to conservation projects this year versus 30 million last year. Pre-recession the state used to dedicate hundreds of millions a year to conservation... then sadly Republicans gutted it all in 2010. Atlanta needs me to lead it as an iron-fisted dictator, ill shape it into the greatest city on earth! Ill bring crime down and through the use of big-city government ill revamp zoning rules to allow for denser housing . screw the nimbys.
They definitely have not planned well as far as roads and infrastructure. There definitely should be an outer perimeter but nobody wants it in their backyard, just like they don't want Marta.

In another life, I probably could have been an urban planner. When I was a child my favorite game was sim city. I was an expert. I also used to take legos, boxes, all my little Hotwheels/planes/animals etc and build an entire city over my room. I always built it in a grid structure. I had a little mp3 player with a camera that I took pictures with. Wonder if I can get it up and running and see my childhood creation again.

The lego skyscrapers, shoebox buildings, hell i even stacked books too. I would use a rug as an island and build an airport on it, a zoo, parks etc. I would pretend the bed was a mountain etc . It was beautiful

Life has crushed me man. :(
Urban planning is actually my minor in college. Pretty interesting.

Vs a storm like this in the very same winter, where everyone and their brother seemed to be reporting on it. The big dogs are harder to miss I guess.

View attachment 95627
I bet if that map extended down to S.C., would see 7” in TR and 1/2” of slop S of 85! Even 50+ years ago!

Back