Misc 2020 Banter Thread

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know what’s wrong with the AC in my car. It’s runs but only cools in the shade or when it’s cloudy it will blow cold air. If in direct sunlight or over 100 it never cools. I’ve tried refilling and getting the tube that repairs leaks but no fix.

Reactions: Bham 99
I think everyone remembers last summer when my upstairs HVAC unit crapped the bed. It was a 13 year old Weather King (garbage contractor special that was installed in all houses in my subdivision when the homes were built 2004-2009).

The HVAC company replaced it with a brand new Lennox 14 SEER 2 ton unit with a new air handler. Works magnificently. While they were here they looked at our downstairs unit (another Weather King). They told us last summer that it was on its last legs.

Wouldn’t you know it. The downstairs unit (also heats/cools the FROG) has officially crapped the bed. The outdoor fins on the coil are corroded and breaking apart. The coil in the unit itself is leaking and the coil is the air handler is leaking. It needs to be replaced as well.

The nice thing is we have a home warranty that covers all these things. We had three $75 service call fees for the replacement last summer (overall $4800+ total for replacement) that we paid. We have had two $75 service calls for this downstairs unit and will probably be around $5300 for this new replacement unit. Total of over $10K in new HVAC units in about one year. Thank goodness for 2-10 Home Warranty.

Reactions: Bham 99
mechanic hlp plz

Take a look and see if the clutch is engaging on the compressor. After that, see if the lines are freezing. After that, put leak detector into the low pressure side of the unit and turn it on max air and high fan. Take a look at the radiator and cooling fins to see if they are clogged with bug guts.

• Thank You
Reactions: BirdManDoomW
mechanic hlp plz

If a part of the system needs to be replaced, replace it all. It’s a bit of high cost on the front end, but you save in the long run. Change the compressor, lines, evaporator, and dryer. It’s been my experience that once an AC craps out due to the clutch or something in the compressor letting go, you get black oil and crap throughout the dryer, the lines, and the condenser. That stuff ends up making the new compressor crap out a few mi this later and there you are spending more money.

We've got to be close to setting some kind of record of 90 plus degree days with no rain here in Chatham.
I know Roanoke set a record for the most 90 degree days in a row now, though they've actually had a longer stretch of 90s than us now, surprisingly.

Can somebody help me out here? I want to get RadarScope but I'm not 100% sure on how the pricing works. I understand there's a $9.99 one time purchase, but do I have to pay a subscription fee after that? Or is it just $9.99 and done?

Can somebody help me out here? I want to get RadarScope but I'm not 100% sure on how the pricing works. I understand there's a $9.99 one time purchase, but do I have to pay a subscription fee after that? Or is it just $9.99 and done?

Regular is a one time purchase for the device.

Tier one Pro is 9.99 a year subscription.

Status
Not open for further replies.