• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2020/21 Fall and Winter Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nashville finally cashed in on a 3-4 inch event. I even took a day off work to have me a snow day. Finally scored me a win :)
Check this out.
Nashville sets 5th Longest Stretch of Below Freezing Temperatures
Weather.gov > Nashville, TN > Nashville sets 5th Longest Stretch of Below Freezing Temperatures
PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN
305 AM CST SAT FEB 20 2021

...5TH LONGEST PERIOD OF BELOW FREEZING TEMPERATURES AT
NASHVILLE...

TEMPERATURES AT NASHVILLE FELL BELOW FREEZING ON THE EVENING OF
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 11TH, AND REMAINED BELOW FREEZING FOR OVER 7
DAYS UNTIL RISING ABOVE 32 DEGREES ON THE AFTERNOON OF FRIDAY,
FEBRUARY 19. THIS TIES FOR THE 5TH LONGEST STRETCH OF CONSECUTIVE
DAYS WITH BELOW FREEZING TEMPERATURES ON RECORD AT NASHVILLE.
THIS IS ALSO THE LONGEST PERIOD OF BELOW FREEZING TEMPERATURES IN
43 YEARS.

TOP 10 LONGEST PERIODS BELOW FREEZING AT NASHVILLE

1. FEBRUARY 6-14, 1899 9 DAYS
2. DECEMBER 26-JANUARY 3, 1877 9 DAYS
3. JANUARY 15-22, 1918 8 DAYS
4. FEBRUARY 8-15, 1895 8 DAYS
5. FEBRUARY 12-18, 2021 7 DAYS
6. JANUARY 9-15, 1978 7 DAYS
7. JANUARY 23-29, 1948 7 DAYS
8. JANUARY 4-10, 1942 7 DAYS
9. DECEMBER 9-15, 1917 7 DAYS
10. DECEMBER 15-21, 1901 7 DAYS

WEATHER RECORDS FOR NASHVILLE BEGAN IN 1871.

$$

SHAMBURGER

If we hadnt hit 33 briefly last Saturday it would have been the 2nd longest streak here falling just short of 1983

Pretty crazy considering how warm the last few winters have been

When you think about it though snowfall here is random and infrequent. Giving an average really sets an expectation that you are going to get near that amount per year. In realty we've seen winters between 0-30 in many our lives and I'm not sure what the SD is vs average but I'm not sure if most years fall close to the historical avg at RDU. I think using percentage chance of a snow total might make more sense

Fwiw, for 1895-1954 extreme northern Harnett Co sees as much or more snow than Raleigh in 20% of winters, 80% of the time you get less snow than central Wake. Not sure what that stat is once you throw in modern winters, but it's probably not a bad rough estimate.

Fwiw, for 1895-1954 extreme northern Harnett Co sees as much or more snow than Raleigh in 20% of winters, 80% of the time you get less snow than central Wake. Not sure what that stat is once you throw in modern winters, but it's probably not a bad rough estimate.
Not terrible. As you know it really takes a special pattern for the SE Wake to Fay area to win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back