• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

2020-2021 Winter: Early Thoughts

Inject the 2nd half of Jan 00 in my veins. Crazy that 2 week period actually could have been more epic if the 23rd system and the 30th didn't mix/change to zr

98 99 had winter storm in December and jan 00 had one around same time date as December 98. I know commodity weather has their opinions, but what is actually a good match if their is one?

98 99 had winter storm in December and jan 00 had one around same time date as December 98. I know commodity weather has their opinions, but what is actually a good match if their is one?
I'd have to look into it I don't remember what the qbo/ssts were like for any of those. I'd strongly lean toward the warmer years though just based off what we are seeing so far. Unless something changes drastically at least the first half of December looks warm to me. Maybe we try to flip in the mid month to Christmas time frame but I wouldn't be surprised to see that pushed to near or into January

I'd have to look into it I don't remember what the qbo/ssts were like for any of those. I'd strongly lean toward the warmer years though just based off what we are seeing so far. Unless something changes drastically at least the first half of December looks warm to me. Maybe we try to flip in the mid month to Christmas time frame but I wouldn't be surprised to see that pushed to near or into January

It's going to be a very long winter if we have persistent toughing in the GOA.

I am going to choose to believe the 12z euro over the 18z GFS for the extended range.
I have no science
Edit: wrong thread

Last edited:
What's interesting to me is HM was interested in the 120E standing wave getting ignited but it dont look like it will have anything exciting with that except warm weather continuing. ?

Inject the 2nd half of Jan 00 in my veins. Crazy that 2 week period actually could have been more epic if the 23rd system and the 30th didn't mix/change to zr

The chance of anything close to that happening again are about zero at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's interesting to me is HM was interested in the 120E standing wave getting ignited but it dont look like it will have anything exciting with that except warm weather continuing. ?
Nothing works for cold around here anymore. We could get a phase 8 MJO, -EPO, -NAO and +PNA and still manage to torch somehow.

Honestly we cash that blend in ASAP. But lets please not repeat 98. Hint it was hot.

View attachment 52389
I remember December ‘98 was especially early on. It was my senior year at App St and Boone had a number of days in the upper 60s and low 70s the first couple weeks of the month. The pattern did change just in time for Christmas when I was at home in Concord... there was an ice storm on 12/23–24 and then on the back side of that it turned to light snow overnight Christmas Eve and we woke up to a 1/2 inch of snow on Christmas morning... it’s easy to remember because that was only time I’ve woken up to see the ground snow covered on Christmas morning

Back