• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

2020-2021 Winter: Early Thoughts

Give me every bad forecast possible. They all did horrible when they said we'd have blockbuster winters so I'll take my chances on having the opposite.
Winter forecasts are like political polls. You can say a certain candidate will win all day, but the election is the only thing that matters.

Pretty much exactly how my whole night went during the December 8-9, 2018 storm in southeast Wake (really in Johnston county)

Models had several hours of snow for me before turning to rain. But as soon as the precip started I watched that R/SN line surge north FAST. Managed a slushy inch before melting before dawn from rain. 20min north got 5-7+.

By far the most miserable winter event I’ve ever had the pleasure of witnessing. I left Wake county in the dust a few months later ✌?

The January 2017 storm literally pissed me off lol, I was hyped for like 6-10 inches of snow and I kept waiting and waiting for the sleet to changeover but it never did.

Strong La Nina (-1.5 or colder peak) winters per the linked table: average 2-2.5 F warmer than normal. No big deal. I'll enjoy the winter just because it is the winter and way colder than any other season, the most enjoyable season with plenty of wild changes and many pleasant days even in a warmer than normal winter. Also, some of you may even luck out and get a big winter storm as more often than not there will be one somewhere at some point, especially in NC/TN:

https://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ONI_v5.php

2010-1, 2007-8, 1999-2000, 1998-9, 1988-9, 1975-6, 1973-4, 1955-6, 1949-50

1602721248334.png

I could kinda see more ice then snow in southeast. Seems like we are due one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is a cold December and torch the rest of the way.

indeed. If there is going to be one cold month, strong La Nina climo says Dec would be the most likely month. Actually, DEC, alone, for the 9 strong La Ninas averaged near normal vs the solid AN of Jan and Feb when the SER tends to take over.

Back