• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

2020-2021 Winter: Early Thoughts

Anybody know what November of 2000 was !? We had 2-3 snows in November, iirc? Then winter was over
We were in a LaNina in November 2000. CLT had 3 inches of snow on the Sunday before Thanksgiving and then an inch a few days before Christmas. There was a major bust early in December in which we forecast 8-12 inches the night before it was supposed to snow, but the storm too east. The temperatures were well below average right through the first week of January, then above average the rest of the winter.

Anybody know what November of 2000 was !? We had 2-3 snows in November, iirc? Then winter was over

Tarheel, with all due respect, winter was just getting its act together. December was cold and wintry. Two winter storms in the southern plains and midsouth, one being worst ice storm in Oklahoma/Arkansas history.

Tarheel, with all due respect, winter was just getting its act together. December was cold and wintry. Two winter storms in the southern plains and midsouth, one being worst ice storm in Oklahoma/Arkansas history.
It was along time ago and I was specifically only talking about GSP area, my mistake

I had snow on the ground from early December through Christmas and then again on New Years. We got a little in November on a Sunday too.

We were in a LaNina in November 2000. CLT had 3 inches of snow on the Sunday before Thanksgiving and then an inch a few days before Christmas. There was a major bust early in December in which we forecast 8-12 inches the night before it was supposed to snow, but the storm too east. The temperatures were well below average right through the first week of January, then above average the rest of the winter.

Cried a river over that one. Drove to Charlotte to watch the Jazz vs Hornets when we lived in Greensboro, worried the entire time that snow might arrive early and we'd get stuck. Left the game headed back to Greensboro, still nothing, woke up the next morning to find sunshine and no snow. I think Rocky Mount area got 10 or so inches, but it was well too far east to give the Triad/Triangle anything, iirc.

Cried a river over that one. Drove to Charlotte to watch the Jazz vs Hornets when we lived in Greensboro, worried the entire time that snow might arrive early and we'd get stuck. Left the game headed back to Greensboro, still nothing, woke up the next morning to find sunshine and no snow. I think Rocky Mount area got 10 or so inches, but it was well too far east to give the Triad/Triangle anything, iirc.
I think that storm was the one that broke WRAL and Fishel. I remember waking up and having some flurries on radar and thinking here we go, about 30-45 minutes of dandruff flakes later it was too far east and I was not happy. I just remember that day being windy and really cold

I think that storm was the one that broke WRAL and Fishel. I remember waking up and having some flurries on radar and thinking here we go, about 30-45 minutes of dandruff flakes later it was too far east and I was not happy. I just remember that day being windy and really cold

I look at this in retrospect and wonder what was wrong with me, lol. It was overcast, 34 degrees during the day before with sprinkles and all I could think about was how are we going to get that temp down a few degrees by the time the precip arrives at night. We got the temp down but no precip. Stupid me.

I hear you. I had tickets to the Panthers game and was so excited about getting to go see a game in a snowstorm in person. I left the house at 8 to go tailgating for a 1pm game and there were flurries and thought here we go. By the time I got uptown the flurries has stopped and the sun was peaking through. It still amazes me how the two worst busts in forecasting NC weather occurred 11 months apart and one was missing a storm that dumped up to 2 feet of snow and the other was forecasting up to a foot and getting nothing.

I hear you. I had tickets to the Panthers game and was so excited about getting to go see a game in a snowstorm in person. I left the house at 8 to go tailgating for a 1pm game and there were flurries and thought here we go. By the time I got uptown the flurries has stopped and the sun was peaking through. It still amazes me how the two worst busts in forecasting NC weather occurred 11 months apart and one was missing a storm that dumped up to 2 feet of snow and the other was forecasting up to a foot and getting nothing.

That LP had such good placement ahead of the game, and given what had just happened in Jan, I was so ready to believe that the low would intensify and head up the coast just like before. And you're right, the 2 biggest NC busts in the same calendar year. Wow!!!

Back