• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

2020-2021 Winter: Early Thoughts

It would be funny as heck if the warm forecast that JB put out for this winter busts on the cold side after the way he’s been adamant about East coast cold for the last few years. Of course it would absolutely fit 2020 if there to be a board wide historic Southern Winter Storm at some point in mid to late December.

JB has already initiated his backup plan in case it turns out colder than his forecast by saying there are things that can make it go wrong. Plus he may cool his forecast before December (like he did for last winter) or later. He always makes sure he has a backup plan or an excuse.

There’s no correlation between a negative NAO in Oct and one for DJF averaged out...i.e., it doesn’t make one more likely nor does it make one less likely vs when not having a -NAO Oct. The stats since 1950 tell me this. And the stats just since 2000 tell me this. But if it will make it cooler in Oct, that’s good enough for me.

But there seems to be a correlation between a constant scandi ridge in fall and a overall cooler pattern afterwards in the winter, especially D/J, (febs after can sometimes go full on torch) I’ve posted this map before, all the years (nino/nina) with a scandi ridge in November seemed to have boded well for the EUS, it always helps that it aids in weakening the PV 164A0ADB-2958-44B2-904E-4B7B32AF1759.gif
Shoot even 2017 had one (that was a Nina)
EBA5008C-F023-4C56-8A72-B66A4715032D.gif

It would be funny as heck if the warm forecast that JB put out for this winter busts on the cold side after the way he’s been adamant about East coast cold for the last few years. Of course it would absolutely fit 2020 if there to be a board wide historic Southern Winter Storm at some point in mid to late December.
He will say he called for cold! I can’t even with him

Back