• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2019 Banter & Friendly Conservation

FV3 is getting upgraded to become the new GFS today.

Party time!

giphy.gif

For all looking into the weatherflow stations.

The haptic rain sensor is a very very new device. It translates rain drop impacts into amounts of precip.

It is a work in progress and has been prone to a lot of issues. Vibrations from cars, planes, and trains cause "false rain" reports. Birds landing on the sensor. Wind during rainfall changes the way the rain impacts the sensor. Just high wind also can cause false rain reports the list goes on and on and on.

Obviously, the programming to break all of these variables down is an insanely complicated issue.

They are about to release (possibly this week or next) a complete overhaul of their rainfall algorithm that should drastically improve the haptic sensor. But it is still a work in progress.

I mean think about it. They are trying to calculate accumulations of rain by measuring the impact of the raindrops,... Sounds like a nightmare for some computer and weather geeks. Think of all the variables involved: wind, size of drops, birds, non-rain vibrations....

Haptic rain sensors probably are the future for precip measuring. Just a lot of bugs to work out first.

Last edited:
I wish paid sites would own up to their forecast fails or point out on social media how unlikely it is for widespread flooding to occur. It was limited to about 3 to 4 counties in NC. I’m talking about Robert. Happens every time.

I wish paid sites would own up to their forecast fails or point out on social media how unlikely it is for widespread flooding to occur. It was limited to about 3 to 4 counties in NC. I’m talking about Robert. Happens every time.
If you are going to bash Robert, do it somewhere else please! He is well respected around these parts.

Not so much just Robert, but weather communication in general is poor this late in the game IMO. The public is fed poor money marketing tactics that create fear and eventually poor decision making in future storms.

The small high risk area from the WPC was in a area that most could commonly guess to be the biggest rainfall zone. We had three days of advance moderate risk outlooks. But paid sites created fear for way too many people. How did the forecast fair for Salisbury or Oak Island NC? I don’t think well. And that’s not just cherry picking, many areas didn’t perform.

Yes, he's been posting with a core group of us since before the Easternwx forum days. Some of that group is here and a few are still over on Americanwx. Life was a lot less complicated back then. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe Wilkesborodude is the reason he stopped posting.
AmWx ... full of egos and devoid of respect ... let's hope that disease never infects this place ... ;)

AmericanWx is a place I haven't been in years, the worst of the worst weather fans post there. Moderators are disrespectful, and posters think they know it all. Robert is respected but it is funny to poke fun at some of his comments about roof collapsing snow and biblical flooding.
I’m sure he’s a great met, but sometimes, he overhypes events, but seems like a cool guy, and weather weenie at heart!

AmericanWx is a place I haven't been in years, the worst of the worst weather fans post there. Moderators are disrespectful, and posters think they know it all. Robert is respected but it is funny to poke fun at some of his comments about roof collapsing snow and biblical flooding.

Yeah, I have nothing against Robert, but to say he overhypes and busts quite often is very accurate. Him and JB are on the same plane IMO.

For all looking into the weatherflow stations.

The haptic rain sensor is a very very new device. It translates rain drop impacts into amounts of precip.

It is a work in progress and has been prone to a lot of issues. Vibrations from cars, planes, and trains cause "false rain" reports. Birds landing on the sensor. Wind during rainfall changes the way the rain impacts the sensor. Just high wind also can cause false rain reports the list goes on and on and on.

Obviously, the programming to break all of these variables down is an insanely complicated issue.

They are about to release (possibly this week or next) a complete overhaul of their rainfall algorithm that should drastically improve the haptic sensor. But it is still a work in progress.

I mean think about it. They are trying to calculate accumulations of rain by measuring the impact of the raindrops,... Sounds like a nightmare for some computer and weather geeks. Think of all the variables involved: wind, size of drops, birds, non-rain vibrations....

Haptic rain sensors probably are the future for precip measuring. Just a lot of bugs to work out first.

There’s issues sure, but they seem to be due to the user or birds...compared to very advanced pro wx stations this is a huge bang for your buck.

It’s also constantly learning and improving (it’s self learning/smart). My rain totals have been amazingly accurate compared to neighbors’ that have Davis’ and other ridiculously fancy stuff and they seem to over or under estimate. Also I live about 5 minutes from RDU, planes so loud overhead I can’t carry on a conversation in my own backyard....no sensor issues.

IMO haptic will be more accurate than rain gauges of the past, and you can’t ignore the accuracy of the temperature readings without the need of a fan or solar radiation shield. Even pro stations struggle terribly with overestimating temperature, not weatherflow!

The ONLY way wind can cause false rain is if you mount on a hollow 10 foot pole or something. I mounted with PVC piping, filled it with sand. No vibrations and no false rain. The people who complain about false rain due to mounting vibrations have no clue what they’re doing. Some research is needed to mount it properly, but they do have a guide and recommended sighting and mounting options — people just don’t read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
but I do believe Wilkesborodude is the reason he stopped posting.
He stopped posting because he went pay-per-view. Everyone knows that. He also didn’t like the public having access to Tropical Tidbits and other social media outlets providing free content before he could “forecast a pattern”.

It had got to a point a newbie would know something before he did and everyone would wait for his “idea or response”. By then there was nothing to report other than his level of excitement or disappointment in a weather feature. Not to knock his knowledge but times have changed in the weather business when it’s all about money.

Back