• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season & Model Discussion

Not looking forward to the second peak. It’s been getting crazy in October. After what Sandy did I believe a blizzard would be possible for many if it tracked further south-west. I saw snow showers from it east of the mtns.

Fwiw, the 12Z EPS has a fairly strong signal for what I think is the wave FOLLOWING 94L with very roughly 50% of the ~51 members having a TC genesis though most don't form til the vicinity of the Antilles or Bahamas days 11-14. Most of these then recurve between the US east coast and Bermuda. Regardless of the suggested track, this may very well eventually be an additional threat in the western basin. We'll see.

This wave is currently still over Africa and it will reach the ocean in a couple of days.

12Z EPS TC centers at hour 360:
View attachment 23266

And look at this: the happy Hour GFS does very little with 94L and then weakens it while developing the wave following 94L, which is what many members of the 12Z EPS developed, into a very strong storm. This wave is still over Western Africa from what I can best tell. Here it is at hour 240 of the 18Z GFS:D3A7D6A6-4150-42AC-9E01-4393225CC644.png

The Happy Hour GEFS follows suit and goes pretty ballistic with the wave after 94L. It suggests a recurve away before reaching the SE with most of the members having a genesis fwiw. I say fwiw because this is so far out in time that it obviously may not even form, much less track that way if it does form:
9304BB82-CD72-447A-BE58-4448A891A806.png

GFS expands on what ensembles have been hinting at for several days. However this Isn’t 94L which falls apart east of the Bahamas around when this forms. Gfs forms a monster. If this were to go past 384 this would most likely be a Carolina Hit.

View attachment 23269
Note this is the 00z EPS not 12z
View attachment 23270
I just said out loud the same thing....maybe big curve.....

Sure is. Some of the eps and gefs show low end development as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I agree based on steering being favorable to bringing it into the SE coast. I admit that this caught me by surprise. However, the good news is that the Bahamas in 5-6 days are projected to have moderate SE to SSW shear then unlike the ideal conditions for Dorian. So, that hopefully would mean only slow development.

The 12Z GFS, Legacy, and ICON all have it coming WNW to NW into the area near the FL/GA border next weekend as a weak low. The 0Z Euro has it hitting S FL.

I agree based on steering being favorable to bringing it into the SE coast. I admit that this caught me by surprise. However, the good news is that the Bahamas in 5-6 days are projected to have moderate SE to SSW shear then unlike the ideal conditions for Dorian. So, that hopefully would mean only slow development.

The 12Z GFS, Legacy, and ICON all have it coming WNW to NW into the area near the FL/GA border next weekend as a weak low. The 0Z Euro has it hitting S FL.
Whatever you do, don't show the map to POTUS ... :eek:

12Z UK has a weak low coming into Daytona day 7 with ~1-3" of rain for the NE FL/far SE GA coast. Also, although the 12Z Euro has no closed low and only a wave coming into FL Sat, the EPS has a few actual TCs, including one H, coming into about the same area day 7.

What all of this is telling me is that unlike for the very far out consensus for 94L and the subsequent wave, both of which MAY very well recurve safely OTS or threaten the NC to NE US/SE Canada corridor, there is a pretty high chance due to strong consensus for some tropical entity and maybe a TC originating from the wave now near the LAs to come into the FL-SC corridor moving WNW to NW, especially FL-SC, ~Saturday. Hopefully it would be fairly weak based on forecasted moderate shear nearby (in total contrast to the very light shear around Dorian), but that's not set in stone since SSTs are very warm, dewpoints are projected to be 72+ (so pretty moist), there's a pretty big high to the north inducing sfc convergence to its south, and shear is not projected to be strong W shear from westerlies dipping down but rather moderate S to SE shear in the Bahamas on its approach between an upper high to its E and an upper low in the GOM.

Last edited:
12Z UK has a weak low coming into Daytona day 7 with ~1-3" of rain for the NE FL/far SE GA coast. Also, although the 12Z Euro has no closed low and only a wave coming into FL Sat, the EPS has a few actual TCs, including one H, coming into about the same area day 7.

What all of this is telling me is that unlike for the very far out consensus for 94L and the subsequent wave, both of which MAY very well recurve safely OTS or threaten the NC to NE US/SE Canada corridor, there is a pretty high chance due to strong consensus for some tropical entity and maybe a TC originating from the wave now near the LAs to come into the FL-SC corridor moving WNW to NW, especially FL-SC, ~Saturday. Hopefully it would be fairly weak based on forecasted moderate shear nearby (in total contrast to the very light shear around Dorian), but that's not set in stone since SSTs are very warm, dewpoints are projected to be 72+ (so pretty moist), there's a pretty big high to the north inducing sfc convergence to its south, and shear is not projected to be strong W shear from westerlies dipping down but rather moderate S to SE shear in the Bahamas on its approach between an upper high to its E and an upper low in the GOM.
Is the one you are referring to?

gfs-ens_mslpa_watl_fh132-162.gif

That ridge would be mouthwatering in the winter!
But really, that is a super strong ridge, and as modeled, couldn’t go anywhere but W or SW, that thing is a beast!
Looks even stronger on CMC.....wave goes into gulf...

gem_mslpa_watl_29.png

The little wave may not become really strong. But it bares watching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An area of disorganized showers and thunderstorms centered
about 300 miles northeast of the northern Leeward Islands is
associated with a broad area of low pressure. Little development
of this system is anticipated during the next few days due to
strong upper-level winds while the system moves north of the
Leeward Islands and Puerto Rico. Environmental conditions could
become more conducive for development after that time when system
moves slowly west-northwestward over the southwestern Atlantic
Ocean.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.

Thank you for the detail and explaining it so well....

bf68620320600fa68c936a2468e41276.jpg

It’s won’t happen but wouldn’t that be bad. A cat one hurricane making it up to upstate South Carolina. Wouldn’t that be catastrophic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 12Z GFS is at 168 just E of the LAs by far the weakest of at least the last 4 runs for the wave now over W Africa.

Edit: it then forms into a TC near the LAs.

Edit 2: Note the WAR is much weaker on this run vs the last 3 at least. So, an OTS will be more possible on this one.

Last edited:
Back