• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2017 Banter/venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NWCummingWx said:
SoutheastRidge said:
The same people who say they will never trust any model again are the same ones who will get sucked in once again when the models are showing 6-10" of snow.

I think alot of us just get caught up in the excitement and kind of put a space in their mind between reality and what models are saying, especially when many models were consistent on big snows for us. It was hard to look away when they kept saying inches and inches for us.

Well, a weather weenie is a weather weenie, nothing can stop them. :D

ColaSnow said:
DLI4SCwx said:
Shawn said:
2 days talking about half-dollar size flakes and being okay with smaller accumulations.   From now on down here especially in CAE, I give up until 12 hours or less out.. and even then I'll still be cautious.  It sucks because a lot of areas knew they were going to get something okay and they ended up with absolute garbage.

I hate it for myself and everyone else. :(  At least I was able to cope the last couple days with the fail.  You guys guy screwed.
It sucks big time Shawn, but that's all too often how it turns out down here.  I don't even know if I'd trust anything even 12 hours out, until it's literally outside of my window. I tell you what, Jim Gandy is who I will always put my trust in as far as local wx for us is concerned. He never ever has an overraction in situations like these. Also, the folks at the NWS CAE, do an awesome job. They are thorough and informed as they come. I really hate it for all the folks this looked great for and ended up getting nada or way underdone.

I told myself a year or two ago that I wasn't gonna trust anything 'til we're a day away. Now, put me in the group to not trust anything until we're 8-12 hours away.

If Jim Gandy, along with a couple folks on here, start to get excited about our snow prospects, then that will increase my anticipation. Gandy has been on point in these scenarios since I can remember paying attention to him (which, goes back to at least '88).

For example, I'll never forget when folks on The Weather Channel thought our area was done with wintry precip during the early-January '88 snowstorm. I tuned into WIS TV 10 (Gandy was a met there at one point), and Gandy told viewers to expect another batch of snow to come into the area shortly, and we could pick up another inch. Right on cue, that is what occurred. If we're in the short-range, and he's not excited, then one needs to listen.

By the way, I also agree with you, DL, per the Columbia NWS. They're typically on point.

This winter storm is now complete w/Jim Gandy's name being mentioned. He doesn't miss much...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoutheastRidge said:
The same people who say they will never trust any model again are the same ones who will get sucked in once again when the models are showing 6-10" of snow.
Haha yep and they will be the first to ask for a thread to be started and want to know when their winter storm watch will be issued .....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Storm5 said:
SoutheastRidge said:
Haha yep and they will be the first to ask for a thread to be started and want to know when their winter storm watch will be issued .....

Haha!  Actually, I'll never understand folks who get so wrapped up when will they be under a Winter Storm Watch or Warning.

As far, as being sucked in once models show 6"-10" of snow....  Nah!  There was several runs that showed Columbia area (proper) being in several inches of snow, and I never got too excited about it.  The more I learn about winter weather in the south, the more I've learned how to temper my enthusiasm.  Not to mention, I was born and raised here, so I'm quite familiar with the overall climo.

I can extrapolate what's going on without ever or rarely asking questions; listen and pay attention to the "right" people; and, use common sense.  I'm also not emotionally invested in winter weather, as much as I love snow.  Do those things, and you'll come out alright.     ;)

ColaSnow said:
Storm5 said:
SoutheastRidge said:

Haha!  Actually, I'll never understand folks who get so wrapped up when will they be under a Winter Storm Watch or Warning.

As far, as being sucked in once models show 6"-10" of snow....  Nah!  There was several runs that showed Columbia area (proper) being in several inches of snow, and I never got too excited about it.  The more I learn about winter weather in the south, the more I've learned how to temper my enthusiasm.  Not to mention, I was born and raised here, so I'm quite familiar with the overall climo.

I can extrapolate what's going on without ever or rarely asking questions; listen and pay attention to the "right" people; and, use common sense.  I'm also not emotionally invested in winter weather, as much as I love snow.  Do those things, and you'll come out alright.     ;)

FEB is our time of the year for snow down here. More often than not, around 9-21st or so. If we strike out during that period, well tickle me pink if we get a surprise other parts of Winter/early Spring.

Shawn said:
ColaSnow said:
Storm5 said:

FEB is our time of the year for snow down here.  More often than not, around 9-21st or so.  If we strike out during that period, well tickle me pink if we get a surprise other parts of Winter/early Spring.
Hoping we can cash in on something good during that  time frame in February.  Anything after that would be just gravy.  I can think of quite a few Feb. storms we did very well in, esp. 73'.  I wasn't born then, but would be great if we could get a rarity like that again.

Hot off the press from Larry Cosgrove tonight:
'From looking at the computer model and analog forecasts, it seems pretty certain that something approximating the 'January Thaw' will be affecting most of the nation between January 13 and 22. But the question many forecasters have on their minds is, 'Is winter over'?"

"But a potentially new rub shows up in the weekly forecasts of the CFS and ECMWF platforms: strong -EPO/+PNA ridging from Alaska to California. The analog depiction seems a little fast with this development (January 22), but I am confident that a warm/dry West vs. cold/stormy Central East configuration is likely to occur shortly thereafter, and quite possibly last through February and the first half of March. The 1996 comparison has some value here, albeit with a colder outcome like 2014 or 2015. If dual blocking signatures emerge again along the entire Pacific shoreline and Greenland, the most recent Arctic intrusion will seem like just 'part of the pattern' of the winter of 2016-2017."

With some more eastern U.S. snow and ice events thrown into the mix, just for fun.

Lynsy said:
A certain meteorologist from the Bham market said his forecast was "excellent". I'm not bashing, because I definitely respect him. I do think the forecast was a huge bust. The WSW was prob warranted, primarily for road conditions, they were bad. I was on them all night and saw multiple wrecks and almost wrecks. We ended up driving to the top of Cheaha and it was at least a solid half to inch of hard ice. Roads were bad. I was in a jeep equipped btw to handle things before anyone lectures about being on the roads. We didn't slide or have a single problem going up or coming down. I just can't see how this forecast was excellent...they called for up to 4 inches in my area. Not a person saw even an inch and none was snow. Busting on a forecast doesn't make you a bad met. Some just have a hard time it seems accepting that. Its winter wx in the south...very hard to nail. I just wanted to vent, bc that statement by him rubbed me the wrong way. He almost comes off as arrogant these days. The sad thing is I used to love him and think he was "the man". It kinda seems all of the accolades have went to his head. Nothing wrong with being humble. You can't win em all. <end rant.

He also said on his blog that there was going to be no cold air for this area until at least the end of January. I thought that was a step out.

As much as I love the cold and snow I've noticed that as I get older, have to fight to keep pipes from freezing, pay the outrageous light bill for heating and report to work no matter how bad the roads get..... that I look forward to the warm-ups that follow just about as much. Lol

metwannabe said:
As much as I love the cold and snow I've noticed that as I get older, have to fight to keep pipes from freezing, pay the outrageous light bill for heating and report to work no matter how bad the roads get..... that I look forward to the warm-ups that follow just about as much.  Lol

Agreed, I am looking forward to the 60s and 70s. I have gotten to the point of give me 58-67 all winter unless its snowing

SD said:
metwannabe said:
As much as I love the cold and snow I've noticed that as I get older, have to fight to keep pipes from freezing, pay the outrageous light bill for heating and report to work no matter how bad the roads get..... that I look forward to the warm-ups that follow just about as much.  Lol

Agreed, I am looking forward to the 60s and 70s. I have gotten to the point of give me 58-67 all winter unless its snowing

Can't argue with you on that... all I want is one more good no mixing issues snow storm, they have happened here before....I witnessed them as a kid. I thought!

Drove 45 miles to work today on what felt like a glacier, since DOT scrapped all the snow off but left the 1-2" compacted sleet....white knuckle driving at it's best!

metwannabe said:

I find the older I've gotten the more I like the cold. With cold I can always bundle up in layers no matter how cold it is and go for a walk with the dogs. In the summer with the heat and humidity you can't escape it. In the summer you have nasty humidity with bugs and snakes. I get very irritated when I'm constantly sweating and my electric bill is through the roof in the summer.

olhausen said:
metwannabe said:

I find the older I've gotten the more I like the cold. With cold I can always bundle up in layers no matter how cold it is and go for a walk with the dogs. In the summer with the heat and humidity you can't escape it. In the summer you have nasty humidity with bugs and snakes. I get very irritated when I'm constantly sweating and my electric bill is through the roof in the summer.
As soon as the bugs return I'll be wishing for cold....maybe as I get older I'm more difficult to satisfy Lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wow...
eb1d624c41f19ac33945c972cf1c97a7.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForsythSnow said:
Joe Bastardi starting up the hype train again... already.

Leave it to JB to just bypass a consensus model forecast for one of the warmest two week periods centered on mid January on record for the US as a whole (not necessarily the SE in particular), which of course he didn't forecast, and instead focus on a 384 hour ensemble map in this tweet. Why not tweet more about the very widespread and long duration warmth that appears to be on the way before any change to colder? Meteorologically speaking, that should be worthy of discussion even though it is the last thing he and many of his subscribers want. About all he's saying on Twitter is that we have a "January thaw" coming up. Folks, this is no ordinary "January thaw"! This is a major and lengthy torch outside of short breaks for much of the country lasting at least through half of January! Yes, I know the reasons but this can't be good for his credibility.
 Also, note he's referring to 1993. I wonder why lol (hint: the March Storm of Century).

One thing I'm liking about this website so far is that the vast majority of posters seem to get along reasonably well with each other. Yes, there's some trolling but some trolling is normal and it isn't out of control. I like the inviting atmosphere here.
Also, there's a limited level of arrogance being shown imo. That is far from the case at some other places. I have a lot of experience posting at wx bb's...going back to the 1990's with Prodigy.
I hope this forum remains this way!

GaWx said:
One thing I'm liking about this website so far is that the vast majority of posters seem to get along reasonably well with each other. Yes, there's some trolling but some trolling is normal and it isn't out of control. I like the inviting atmosphere here.
Also, there's a limited level of arrogance being shown imo. That is far from the case at some other places. I have a lot of experience posting at wx bb's...going back to the 1990's with Prodigy.
I hope this forum remains this way!

Agreed! Seems to be going along pretty well.

Maybe there could be a helpful thread for simple terms that is being used in these forums (ie Models, weather terms, etc..) so one can learn a bit more. Doesn't need to be done in a day. Just post helpful items when one can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back