• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

SoutheastRidge said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
SoutheastRidge said:
SnowFlowXXL said:
Im worried about Temps exclusively at this point. Moisture will be there.  Very nervous about temps

How are you so confident that moisture will be there? If the Euro is right much of NW GA may not get any precip. I'm way more concerned with moisture than temps.

Atlanta and east of Atlanta is going to be fine moisture wise.
Yeah but i'm talking areas north and northeast of Atlanta ( Dahlonega and Gainesville). I would rather be in Gwinett right now than in Lumpkin.

North is iffy, northeast is fine.

Touchet said:
I know the set up and all, I'm just afraid that SW flow will erode away the cold. Living in Bham, I've seen too many times where temperatures end up being very marginal, and we end up with mixed precipitation that melts immediately. I guess being at night helps with that. I am encouraged that the trend right now is south of us. Usually we are in the bullseye and it moves further north.

I don't expect to see much from this. It will most likely rain for a bit, then change over quickly to give a dusting right before it exits. That has been the pattern with these events. Remember last year, we had something similar to this, and it ended up switching back and forth between rain and snow, ending with a dusting. We were supposed to have a couple of inches of snow that day, and it was a complete bust.
our problem is the trough is really flat as it approaches us. we would want /need it to sharpen sooner vs what's being shown like some of the gefs membees have to really see a bigger surge of moisture. at this point I would give that a 1 percent chance of happening . so we have to ride or die with how far north the precip makes it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Xtreme weather said:
Rather have no watches/advisory/warnings best winter precip....vs them and get nothing lol

I think that is what caused the nightmare in 2014 for Atlanta. Lack of preparedness and over conservative views on snow caused people to be stuck in traffic for excessive amounts of times and also had kids stuck in school overnight.

it appears the euro is slower bring precipitation in here. doesn't really get here until after midnight sat am...all others are showing friday afternoon. I think the euro is only have a little overrunning precipitation back toward TN and northern ms and al....euro really doesn't push much of that, but really starts to crank it once the low gets going. Still some big questions on what is going to happen. GFS builds in a high and delivers more cold down before hand, plus flatter so the cold can push. EURO starts that, but since its stronger overall, it starts tilting everything from NE to SW and the cold push stops until the low gets going. By that time, its almost game over for all outside of NGA MTNS, upstate and NC.....just how I see it right now.

Xtreme weather said:
Rather have no watches/advisory/warnings best winter precip....vs them and get nothing lol
a statement from experience. Heartbreak over the years will make you a wise man

olhausen said:
While out to lunch I noticed the roads are now salted up here. Unfortunately I'll have plenty of cold air but not a lot of moisture up here. Still I've seen many times where I can squeeze out an inch with light snow showers off and on throughout the day do to my elevation being at almost 1,000 feet. I'll just have to hope that first wave over performs cause it doesn't look like the second wave is going to be anywhere near my area.

Hi, off topic but I am attempting to fix your avatar.  Seems it's not on the server anymore.  Do you know which one it was?

Deltadog03 said:
it appears the euro is slower bring precipitation in here.  doesn't really get here until after midnight sat am...all others are showing friday afternoon.  I think the euro is only have a little overrunning precipitation back toward TN and northern ms and al....euro really doesn't push much of that, but really starts to crank it once the low gets going.  Still some big questions on what is going to happen.  GFS builds in a high and delivers more cold down before hand, plus flatter so the cold can push.  EURO starts that, but since its stronger overall, it starts tilting everything from NE to SW and the cold push stops until the low gets going.  By that time, its almost game over for all outside of NGA MTNS, upstate and NC.....just how I see it right now.

I agree Chris, i suspect the slower solution on the euro is one likely reason why it was a tad colder across the SE US, allowed the oncoming arctic airmass to settle in a bit more

GeorgiaGirl said:
SoutheastRidge said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
SoutheastRidge said:
SnowFlowXXL said:
Im worried about Temps exclusively at this point. Moisture will be there.  Very nervous about temps

How are you so confident that moisture will be there? If the Euro is right much of NW GA may not get any precip. I'm way more concerned with moisture than temps.

Atlanta and east of Atlanta is going to be fine moisture wise.
Yeah but i'm talking areas north and northeast of Atlanta ( Dahlonega and Gainesville). I would rather be in Gwinett right now than in Lumpkin.

North is iffy, northeast is fine.

Well, i'm slightly east of due north from Atlanta ( about the same longitude as Conyers) so hopefully i will get at least a dusting.

I can tell you that the services industry is taking this threat seriously even though there are no warnings/watches posted. My partner has to stay at the power plant all night just in case.

Looking like it is staying East of Alabama.  I have to drive to Nashville to a catch a flight Friday evening.  So hoping it holds off till at least Friday night.

Storm5 said:
why is everyone worried about when advisories and or watches will be issued lol

I would be much more worried  about precip and temperatures

This x1000.   Trust me WWA's and WSW's don't mean snow.  I've been under them many times and seen nothing.  Same thing always happens, people will freak because their not under one.  It's pretty funny.

FFC upped my accumulation to 2.1" from 0.7" earlier. I think they are growing in confidence, but they haven't updated their AFD yet. Obviously amounts and the overall forecast can change, but it's just an observation of the forecast.

ultimaparadox said:
Looking like it is staying East of Alabama.  I have to drive to Nashville to a catch a flight Friday evening.  So hoping it holds off till at least Friday night.

I wouldn't say that just yet, as Spann says, there will always be surprises.

Webberweather53 said:
Deltadog03 said:
it appears the euro is slower bring precipitation in here.  doesn't really get here until after midnight sat am...all others are showing friday afternoon.  I think the euro is only have a little overrunning precipitation back toward TN and northern ms and al....euro really doesn't push much of that, but really starts to crank it once the low gets going.  Still some big questions on what is going to happen.  GFS builds in a high and delivers more cold down before hand, plus flatter so the cold can push.  EURO starts that, but since its stronger overall, it starts tilting everything from NE to SW and the cold push stops until the low gets going.  By that time, its almost game over for all outside of NGA MTNS, upstate and NC.....just how I see it right now.

I agree Chris, i suspect the slower solution on the euro is one likely reason why it was a tad colder across the SE US, allowed the oncoming arctic airmass to settle in a bit more

ya, agreed....I am still torn on the slower solution vs faster one.  VERY tough call.  I favor the euro because its the euro...however, the GFS is better in progressive patterns.  with a more amped solution, and once that flow starts to tilt, if your not on the cold side, your likely not going to get much snow.  with a flatter gfs like solution the cold can push, but it will shut yall out somewhat in NC (I mean, it still snows, just not like the euro showing) since we won't have a storm really trying to crank and get close to the coast for yall.

ForsythSnow said:
FFC upped my accumulation to 2.1" from 0.7" earlier. I think they are growing in confidence, but they haven't updated their AFD yet. Obviously amounts and the overall forecast can change, but it's just an observation of the forecast.

Did you get that from a map they put out ?

SoutheastRidge said:
ForsythSnow said:

I clicked on my area off the website and looked in the hourly forecast. The window for greatest snow ATM is from 7pm Friday to 1pm Saturday.

Also, looks like widespread 2" even down to Hartsfield-Jackson.

Shawn said:
Eric, if you're on what are you thinking about the sampling/speed today?  Think the models are finally getting enough data to have the correct handle?

I think so, the models have had more than enough time to adjust for the first northern stream system over central-southwestern Canada, overall guidance has trended a bit slower with our shortwave currently sitting in the vicinity of northern California and Oregon. This should allow for the arctic frontal boundary to settle just a tad further to the south (hence colder) than where we were yesterday, which is good news for I-20, obviously it's still a close call in the Atlanta-Augusta-Columbia corridor. Aside from mesoscale biases wrt GOM convection and isentropic lifting over the SE US, Another large-scale synoptic issue those in Georgia, the Carolinas and even Virginia likely have to face at some pt is how guidance handles the 2nd shortwave that will arrive onto the continent on Thu. I think given how guidance has trended with that system (slower, deeper, further southwest), this has a shot to come up the coast a little more than modeled if these trends continue, however I think we're finally starting to settle in on a decent solution here and a compromise between the ECMWF and GFS camps seems most likely...

RollTide18 said:
ultimaparadox said:

I wouldn't say that just yet, as Spann says, there will always be surprises.

Yea I have debated grabbing a hotel for Thursday night across from the airport.  As I know how driving gets on 65 whenever there is a hint of snow.

ForsythSnow said:
SoutheastRidge said:
ForsythSnow said:

I clicked on my area off the website and looked in the hourly forecast. The window for greatest snow ATM is from 7pm Friday to 1pm Saturday.
Shows 2.1" here also. I would take 2" and be happy until next winter.

Back