• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

Euro's running!

bouncycorn said:
Local Media hopping all over the RPM model... the worst model in all of meteorology. Shows rain moving into NGA around 6am Friday then all out by midday friday with very light accumulations limted to extreme northwest Georgia.

Well then, maybe I'll be able to get my milk run done before the hype machine cranks up and everyone goes crazy.  :D

NWS BIRMINGHAM HWO
THERE IS A CHANCE OF ACCUMULATING WINTRY PRECIPITATION FRIDAY
INTO SATURDAY ACROSS PORTIONS OF CENTRAL ALABAMA. AT THIS
TIME...IT APPEARS THE BEST CHANCES ARE NORTH OF A LINE FROM
DEMOPOLIS TO ALEXANDER CITY. IT IS A BIT TOO EARLY AT THIS TIME
TO PIN POINT AMOUNTS OF SPECIFIC PRECIPITATION TYPES. PLEASE STAY
UP TO DATE ON THE LATEST FORECAST AS WE GET CLOSER TO THE WEEKEND.

NWS GSP HWO
..FRIDAY...WINTER WEATHER POSSIBLE. COLD AIR AND INCREASING
MOISTURE FROM A DEVELOPING LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM COULD SUPPORT
ACCUMULATING SNOW ACROSS MUCH OF THE AREA.
..SATURDAY...WINTER WEATHER POSSIBLE.
..SUNDAY...NO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

NWS Raleigh HWO
WHILE MUCH UNCERTAINTY REMAINS IN THE FORECAST AT THIS TIME, THERE
IS THE POTENTIAL FOR SOME LIGHT WINTRY PRECIPITATION TO OCCUR
ACROSS CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING.
IT IS TOO EARLY TO SAY WHETHER THERE WILL BE ANY ACCUMULATION.
RESIDENTS ARE ADVISED TO KEEP ABREAST OF THE FORECAST THROUGH THE
WORK WEEK.

Deltadog03 said:
Well...I have no idea why I stayed up...but I did....euro come bro!

Deltadog, do you think the trend to warm continue or it is that the model can't handle this type of cold air.

There should not be rain, maybe at first, changing over to snow. Cold air starts filtering in before low and during low. With the track of low the warm air should not overtake the 850 MB.

Deltadog03 said:
Well...I have no idea why I stayed up...but I did....euro come bro!

lead us to glory delta!

Ken Cook was a very good forecaster. He was conservative, but he knew his stuff. If a big storm was coming, he was sure to point out the potential in the systems.

A little less interaction thru hr 18...euro looks pretty good with the closed ULL...lets see how long that lasts.

Looks like our wave starts out a bit stronger versus 12z Euro. Carry it home!

SoutheastRidge said:
SnowFlowXXL said:
Ken Cook used to be the worst lmao

Yeah he was. Great guy but wow was he conservative. It really annoyed me. Of course maybe its best to be conservative when you forecast for a city that averages about 2" per year.

I once said the same thing about Ken Cook.  Got my hand slapped by Perry lol

Shawn said:
Looks like our wave starts out a bit stronger versus 12z Euro.  Carry it home!

It does..and less interaction with the NB...slightly

bouncycorn said:
Ken Cook was a very good forecaster. He was conservative, but he knew his stuff. If a big storm was coming, he was sure to point out the potential in the systems.

Very true. I think he was the best tv met Atlanta has had in my lifetime.

SnowFlowXXL said:
Never fails.  Stay up till 3, five days before the event. By the time snow gets here I'm drained.

That was me after the February 2010 snowstorm.  I, along with many others, followed that sucker relentlessly for 9 or 10 days.  Once, that doozy was over, I fell asleep on the sofa about 30 minutes after it was over.  I was pooped after following that particular storm for basically a week and a half.  

I tell 'ya, it's worth it, if you get a good snowstorm in the end.

Thru hr30 there is a def. decrease or less interaction with the NB

NB is northern branch everyone. thats the thing that can flatten/shear our wave out if it gets too much involved.

vort max is stronger and actually further west a smidge than 12z run...def. again, less interaction. with the NB

Already going a tad colder for areas. Might be a better run than 12z with what I've seen so far.

Oh yeah, looking nicer back there!

BIG difference at hr48...more consolidated out west and less NB so far....

Assuming the precip is a little slower getting to us the stronger it gets?

Looks like this is getting away from the shred and colder Temps from 12z first part looking good it seems

Back