• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

I guess you can say that it's not a legitimate threat unless the GFS loses a storm at some pt in the medium range only to bring it back to life later....

Alright y'all, I think we should discuss the breakdown. How many models are going to show that more NW trend. As I mentioned earlier, I said that usually when the southeast gets snow, normally the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast gets the snow as well. This is why I don't agree with the low being in that lower latitude in the GOM. The 0z CMC thinks the low will be way further north than 0z GFS which I agree. How many models are we looking at, that has more of a northerly track of low?

ATLWxFan said:
Sorry if this is a re-post but Kirk Mellish had some good thoughts on the model mayhem.

http://kirkmellish.blog.wsbradio.com/2017/01/02/cold-to-return-snow-odds-to-be-monitored/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In between all the equivocating, that's actually pretty bullish for Mellish this far out.

tellicowx said:
GEFS looks better than OP

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
it's still a south shift on the gefs . but it's better than the op

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Storm5 said:
tellicowx said:

Sweet

Storm5 said:
tellicowx said:

Ok by me, sorry losers.....

Oh wait it will still trend NW. Poop.....

00z gefs mean.....only 4 members are a complete miss
87ad9cb82c0df108bf8a46c858b5d3de.jpg

POSSIBLE WINTER WEATHER THIS WEEKEND:

*this is a first guess forecast. Lots of uncertainty and this will change!*

Good evening North Georgia and Metro Atlanta. Since last Thursday, I have been closely following the potential for a winter weather event this upcoming weekend. Confidence is increasing in *some sort of system*. Let me explain.

I hate to modelcast and rarely do it. Model-casting is when you base your forecast off of one model's snowfall projection or even a blend of several models. I feel this is ineffecient because models are constantly changing.

Over the last 48 models, the main models (CMC, GFS, ECMWF, JMA, UKMET) have shown anything from all rain (only one run of one model) to 13-16" of snow for North Georgia (GFS 5 runs). The likelihood of either solution is fairly low but the second holds more validity than the first. I am not, however, going to give you a speal of what models have or do show. I am here to make a forecast, not present models.

I project that much of North Georgia including metro Atlanta will see snowfall on Saturday. The amount, however, is largely in question. The big question is the low pressure placement. I do believe we get a benchmark miller A storm (sciency term for classic snow setup).

I continue to say that I believe some area, which could be anywhere between Macon and Blairsville, will receive the purple colored accumulations, which are 6+ inches. The greatest chance of 6+ inches, however, is the mountains. But there is an equally appealing case that the 6+ inches could be in central georgia, or straight through Metro Atlanta.

At this point, one thing is for certain. That stripe, or the banding deformation zone, will likely setup somewhere in our north georgia/metro atl area if we get the miller A track that I expect.

The biggest thing to get from this post is that everyone in North and Central Georgia needs to stay glued to weather updates, especially tomorrow and afterwords, as confidence increases.

I will also keep you updated with a forecast/discussion every day from here on out (i'll try to post them a bit earlier than tonight)

3846ce8982839a9be6f9be49e52ed557.jpg

484ee8fad0501d4f42fbd4511379105f.jpg

bouncycorn said:
POSSIBLE WINTER WEATHER THIS WEEKEND:

*this is a first guess forecast. Lots of uncertainty and this will change!*

Good evening North Georgia and Metro Atlanta. Since last Thursday, I have been closely following the potential for a winter weather event this upcoming weekend. Confidence is increasing in *some sort of system*. Let me explain.

I hate to modelcast and rarely do it. Model-casting is when you base your forecast off of one model's snowfall projection or even a blend of several models. I feel this is ineffecient because models are constantly changing.

Over the last 48 models, the main models (CMC, GFS, ECMWF, JMA, UKMET) have shown anything from all rain (only one run of one model) to 13-16" of snow for North Georgia (GFS 5 runs). The likelihood of either solution is fairly low but the second holds more validity than the first. I am not, however, going to give you a speal of what models have or do show. I am here to make a forecast, not present models.

I project that much of North Georgia including metro Atlanta will see snowfall on Saturday. The amount, however, is largely in question. The big question is the low pressure placement. I do believe we get a benchmark miller A storm (sciency term for classic snow setup).

I continue to say that I believe some area, which could be anywhere between Macon and Blairsville, will receive the purple colored accumulations, which are 6+ inches. The greatest chance of 6+ inches, however, is the mountains. But there is an equally appealing case that the 6+ inches could be in central georgia, or straight through Metro Atlanta.

At this point, one thing is for certain. That stripe, or the banding deformation zone, will likely setup somewhere in our north georgia/metro atl area if we get the miller A track that I expect.

The biggest thing to get from this post is that everyone in North and Central Georgia needs to stay glued to weather updates, especially tomorrow and afterwords, as confidence increases.

I will also keep you updated with a forecast/discussion every day from here on out (i'll try to post them a bit earlier than tonight)

3846ce8982839a9be6f9be49e52ed557.jpg

484ee8fad0501d4f42fbd4511379105f.jpg

Who is this from?

Back