• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

SnowFlowXXL link said:
I like the CMC. Keep the snow south for now!! gFS is obviously not gonna happen but a big storm is definitely looking possible
The GFS is possible, those highs will be putting pressure on that low causing tight pressure gradient, intensifying the low. With the Gulf surface waters warm, we could see a big winter storm, it's possible. The SER was a big help at keeping those surface water temps warm.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

bouncycorn link said:
[quote author=ATLWxFan link=topic=80.msg7136#msg7136 date=1483376358]
[quote author=bouncycorn link=topic=80.msg7130#msg7130 date=1483376214]
Looks like freezing rain in Atlanta. Not sleet. The DGZ is dry.
b912f64714273054a6fc41b884125f14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mean just ZR? That would be horrific and people would die.  I want no part of that.

[/quote]

Starts as snow, ends as snow.. But the main juice looks to be ZR at KFTY. In fact, like .953" of liquid accumulation at KFTY, downtown Atlanta. And i'm thinking it'll be all freezing rain for some time if that DGZ is dry.
[/quote]
You might be able to get IP from that that's a decent cold nose below the warm layer but it's so close and the warm layer is so thick you are right ZR would be favored

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Spann wrote: You will lots of wild forecasts concerning potential for winter weather in 4-5 days. The new run of the GFS model is very aggressive, but it doesn't seem reasonable considering the pattern, and we are not forecasting what it suggests for now. Please see the blog for the latest...

What does he mean by the "pattern"?

Olaf link said:
Spann wrote: You will lots of wild forecasts concerning potential for winter weather in 4-5 days. The new run of the GFS model is very aggressive, but it doesn't seem reasonable considering the pattern, and we are not forecasting what it suggests for now. Please see the blog for the latest...

then he doesn't need to look at the GEFS either

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

StoneMtnWx link said:
Here is 12Z ukmet. Not as amped/strong as GFS is. Looks more in line with 0z euro/12z CMC from what I can tell with the  24hr panels.

84502acec38bed833543c694f1d84fbd.gif

It is but with the addition of CAD from that high not too far away, which neither the 12Z CMC nor the 0Z Euro have. With this low's track that far south, I wouldn't be surprised if IP and especially ZR would be well south into central GA/SC on this 12Z UKMET. Anyone have the 144?

Stormlover link said:
[quote author=bhs1975 link=topic=80.msg7142#msg7142 date=1483376598]
Euro is gonna bring us back to reality.

Thank you downer
[/quote]

+1 Let's keep the good vibes rolling haha

Olaf link said:

I'm not sure what he means by pattern. The pattern doesn't tell the models to make the low more aggressive. The GFS is being aggressive because of the setup. The other models should catch on.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Olaf link said:

I guess the northern stream pressing into the lakes and shearing the system. 

Some of the GEFS member have 970 to 980 lows riding up the coast...jeez

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

SimeonNC link said:
JB is essentially resorting to wishcasting lol :p

Yep, lol. I love it when he forecasts a big one in the Mid-Atlantic & NE US because it usually doesnt verify, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

SD link said:
[quote author=Olaf link=topic=80.msg7147#msg7147 date=1483376706]

I guess the northern stream pressing into the lakes and shearing the system. 

[/quote] but yet he was calling for possible snow few days ago lol

GEFS snow mean has really increased. Much further south and east with its coverage.  I would imagine some really good individual members that look similar to the op.
snod.conus.png

Back