• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

SN/liquid per official measurements:

Charlotte 1.9"/0.15" 13:1
RDU 2.3"/0.21" 11:1
GSO 1.0"/0.10" 10:1

How do these ratios compare to expectations?

Aside: my lowest with the rain was 32.7, making it easily the coldest rain here in 4+ years!
Drove up 95 today and was thinking about how close you were to seeing ice. I saw ice hanging in the trees not far past the state line and frozen all the way up from that point in one way or another. I've done that drive a ton over the years and seeing it covered in snow seemed a bit otherworldly.

We still have plenty of ice still on plants and trees here on the island at EI. Roads are dry except for a couple of spots. I was on 24 coming home from the doctor (turns out my shoulder isn't broken! huh....) and the bridges looked a little suspect. I just sped up and hoped for the best.

Just got this picture sent to me this evening my cousin has a house up there a friend sent it to him. Carova beach!
Impressive snowfall. A FOOT!
33b47bd4c9ae7b8653f383754cb86da8.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got this picture sent to me this evening my cousin has a house up there a friend sent it to him. Carova beach!
Impressive snowfall. A FOOT!
33b47bd4c9ae7b8653f383754cb86da8.jpeg

Man I love that part of the banks. It makes me wonder how the horses behave in a storm like that.

Man I love that part of the banks. It makes me wonder how the horses behave in a storm like that.
That would be interesting to know how the horses cope with the snow! And yes I love going down there also, It's fun as heck driving on the beach. My cousin house is one mile below the Virginia border, I think I turn and jump the dunes at MM 22 or 23 lol. Love it!

That would be interesting to know how the horses cope with the snow! And yes I love going down there also, It's fun as heck driving on the beach. My cousin house is one mile below the Virginia border, I think I turn and jump the dunes at MM 22 or 23 lol. Love it!
Father in law has a place a block off the beach in Kitty Hawk. OBX is a special place no doubt about it. I enjoyed taking a day trip down to Ocracoke my first year going. This year will be my 6th and I’ve yet to explore the northern sections but it’s happening this year. Big money up on the north side.

Father in law has a place a block off the beach in Kitty Hawk. OBX is a special place no doubt about it. I enjoyed taking a day trip down to Ocracoke my first year going. This year will be my 6th and I’ve yet to explore the northern sections but it’s happening this year. Big money up on the north side.

Yeah you to take a trip up there”different world up there” Those wild horses are so beautiful. Just make sure you have a 4x4 tow bills are steep up there and I’ve seen plenty 4x4 stuck.
dcbfe7e27e4acfd45f8dbbe46c38eb60.jpg

Yeah, everything outside the shady spots is pretty much gone now. Sad. I was actually able to get in some sledding yesterday in Chapel Hill. The conditions were marginal and more snow would’ve been better, but I made it work with my gf. ?

View attachment 109966
Bye! Thanks for coming. Headed to Umstead should be a decent amount left since it’s a shady place. But in sun spots it’s gone
Yeah I love that I live on the shady part of our apartment so my snow when I walk out of my place is always there .. probably for as long as we have below freezing nights

SN/liquid per official measurements:

Charlotte 1.9"/0.15" 13:1
RDU 2.3"/0.21" 11:1
GSO 1.0"/0.10" 10:1

How do these ratios compare to expectations?

Aside: my lowest with the rain was 32.7, making it easily the coldest rain here in 4+ years!
I would say it just illustrates why you can’t bank on crazy good snow ratios around here, no matter the conditions. 10:1-13:1 is certainly better than normal here, but it’s a far cry from 15:1-20:1 like seemed potentially possible.

Still holding on to some decent snow pack in most places. Some yards are clear some still have full snow In the shade. Just drove in to town and some shaded roads are still bad and a car just slid off the road.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220124-091631_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220124-091631_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20220124-091513_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220124-091513_Gallery.jpg
    783.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20220124-083244_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220124-083244_Gallery.jpg
    1,020 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20220124-083220_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220124-083220_Gallery.jpg