• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

The Great Big Sleetstorm:

272228055_3011695692479820_2673207845044287732_n.jpg

Kidding aside, while I felt as if it was trying to stick at night when I couldn't see well, when I looked around earlier this morning (just in the house and looking out windows for a few minutes, then I got back under my electric blanket for a while), there was more ice than I thought I'd see.

Only got to 30. Crazy how much the temps struggled with getting below freezing. Will be interesting to see if the high 30s-low 40s will be the high.

I will say this that death band last night was something else. It certainly made this winter storm possible for many and accumulated that snow efficiently with heavy rates too.. that saved many .. but then again all the models painted a clear 3-4 inches at go time and most saw rates really picking up as the back end finally started pushing east so it was a job well done all around

I didn't take an official measurement, but I'd say it was at least 2.5 and mayyyyyyybe 3'' at the county line.
IMG-7196.jpg
Yea, I need to get some seed in that feeder.
IMG-7205.jpg
IMG-7200.jpg
IMG-7203.jpg
I tried to get a good shot of the hound here, but she didn't wanna cooperate. That's as good as I got of her today.

Anyway, we got some melting on the pavement, but there should be plenty sticking around for another night. These type of "anti-climo" storms are good once in awhile to remind us that N and W isn't better all the time (just most). I got more than Roxboro (I think), so there's that. Glad to see some of you to the south and east got in on the better part of this. I'd mention names, but I'm sure you know who you are.

Yeah, about 6 miles ESE of downtown between 70 and 98.

How much did SW Durham end up getting?
I measured about 2.5” here! Maybe even a couple tenths less tbh looking at surrounding totals…I’m not the best measurer! About in line with what I was thinking, definitely hurt being further west here (which helped me with last week’s storm). Glad to see some balance return, though. Durham doesn’t average that much more than Garner and the SE RDU area has gotten screwed over the last decade.

We think so! She was found as a tiny puppy in a barn in Orange County. Total snow hound.
Thats how must are found. They are a wild dog. Some say they are the original old yellers, for they would just show up at the farmers door, and, the farmers would refer to them as one of those old yellow dogs. No one knew what they were, till some professor did to do a genetic test on them. I have a few, and, they are very low maintenance . Sorry off topic, just a rarity.

Melting has begun, gonna lose most today
You are right about that, especially on pavement and concrete surfaces. I was just noticing that myself when I went out to get some lunch for the spousal unit. My granddaughter is on the way over to the house and hopefully there will be enough snow left in the front or backyard for a snowman.

Back