• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

I just dont get why Dec snows are so rare. Dec is colder and usually has just as much precip if not more than Feb on average.

I think it is because the upper air averages colder in Feb than Dec and I think even colder in Feb vs Jan. This causes the mean storm track to be further south in Feb vs Dec. So, I think there are more cold Miller A's in Feb than in Dec.

One year sample size in a crappy winter like last years isn’t exactly a good comparison. There’s just too much whining about December and people don’t realize, no matter what happened last year or the year before that or the year before that, December snows are rare for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not just last year, I can only think of two snows in the past 20+ years that I recieved a decent snow in that time frame. The Snowjam in 2014 and Febuary 2010. However, I had 9-10" last December, 3" in December of 2000 and 3" on Christmas in 2010 and 2" of snow and ice on 1/10/2011 . And if you count the near misses you have to to to the other side of that time period like 3/01/09 and Febuary 2015 with only the storm on Febuary 11 2014 falling in that time period.

For me atleast, there are equal chances through out the winter, at least in the past 20 or so years.

You didnt get any snow in late Jan 2014?

Yeah, I forgot about the Snowjam.

It's not just last year, I can only think of two snows in the past 20+ years that I recieved a decent snow in that time frame. The Snowjam in 2014 and Febuary 2010. However, I had 9-10" last December, 3" in December of 2000 and 3" on Christmas in 2010 and 2" of snow and ice on 1/10/2011 . And if you count the near misses you have to to to the other side of that time period like 3/01/09 and Febuary 2015 with only the storm on Febuary 11 2014 falling in that time period.

For me atleast, there are equal chances through out the winter, at least in the past 20 or so years.

Yeah, I forgot about the Snowjam.

Forgot how many Alabama people are here. When I speak generally I’m usually talking about NC first, then maybe SC/GA areas. Are you at elevation? It’s definitely regional specific. NC in general the best chance is clearly Jan and Feb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really just a gut feeling here but seeing how October flipped overnight and some of the indications heading into December..... I'll be shocked if some of us don't have a decent winter weather threat before Christmas
Thinking the same thing here. I think December will be back and forth, but we could see a legit snow threat before the end of the month. January and February look cold and snowy based on most of the forecasts. I loved seeing Huffman going above normal snow for here.

I was living in a snowhole called Columbia, SC right after they got their big storm in 2010, but I moved back to Cobb county GA in time to get the foot and the inch or two we had in January to make for a pretty good year. Hopefully we get a repeat.

I was living in a snowhole called Columbia, SC right after they got their big storm in 2010, but I moved back to Cobb county GA in time to get the foot and the inch or two we had in January to make for a pretty good year. Hopefully we get a repeat.
Pretty good year lol. You call getting 14" in Cobb County a pretty good year ?

Pretty good year lol. You call getting 14" in Cobb County a pretty good year ?
I would say that would be a great year. If we get 6 inches for the winter here that would be a great year. Unlike the north, which has at this point spoiled your sense of South snow, anything that is 2 or 3 inches or up is a good snowstorm in GA.

I would say that would be a great year. If we get 6 inches for the winter here that would be a great year. Unlike the north, which has at this point spoiled your sense of South snow, anything that is 2 or 3 inches or up is a good snowstorm in GA.
I am well aware that 2-3" is a good snow for GA. My point was that he will probably never see 14" in a winter again in his lifetime unless he moves. Thats a once in a lifetime winter for Cobb County.

Yeah, I scored just over 10" in December and 2 in January. That does not happen often. Only other time I had double digits was 93.

-NAO? :) If we can lock that in I don’t care about anything else. Let’s get that STJ pumping with a big -NAO and it’s only a matter of time before we’re digging out

I think we’ll see several monster Miller A type Nor’easters this year. Whether we can all benefit from a few of those is the question. My gut tells me “yes”..I know we like to hype every upcoming winter and I’ve been following these boards for 10 years so I’m guilty of it too. This winter just feels like everything is lining up. Still a ways to go though. Fight the good fight.

More good news. December to me right now has just as much of a chance to produce as any other month I guess, but just from a climatology perspective I always keep my expectations low. Looks pretty good on the Cansips if that actually would pan out...

View attachment 7124

That looked amazing until I read his last line.

2B809650-7A9D-4718-BE27-EF93E4B1168C.png Nice post from B Rad!

Back