• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

What's the most snowfall you have seen while living in FL ?
Larry will shoot me if I miss the date again ...
Christmas, 1989 ... not official since it was snow on top of ice here, but about 1 and 1/2 "; maybe 2" in Alachua; Jax was a good solid 3" in parts (mostly on the south and west sides of town ... again, not official but what my eyeball and ruler could discern)

Larry will shoot me if I miss the date again ...
Christmas, 1989 ... not official since it was snow on top of ice here, but about 1 and 1/2 "; maybe 2" in Alachua; Jax was a good solid 3" in parts (mostly on the south and west sides of town ... again, not official but what my eyeball and ruler could discern)
Well, I think I speak for everyone when I say you are due ! Crossing my fingers for a repeat of the Blizzard of 1899 !!! Lake Butler had 4" in that snowstorm !

This picture excites me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was one of my personal favorite storms as it all stuck and came in the late afternoon. While walking through town this young girl went off the road and into a ditch. She the proceeds to jump out of the car and try to push it out herself while I walked her way. She saw me laughing hysterically as she might have been 100 pounds soaking wet. We got her out of the ditch but I’ll never forget how she didn’t hesitate to think she could move that car herself.

It was one of my personal favorite storms as it all stuck and came in the late afternoon. While walking through town this young girl went off the road and into a ditch. She the proceeds to jump out of the car and try to push it out herself while I walked her way. She saw me laughing hysterically as she might have been 100 pounds soaking wet. We got her out of the ditch but I’ll never forget how she didn’t hesitate to think she could move that car herself.
That winter was pure torture for winter weather lovers along the I-20 corridor. To see so much cold go to waste while areas not much further north were getting pounded was a really hard pill to swallow. What made it even harder was there were like 3 different ice and snow events and all of them missed me to the north.

Last edited:
Atlanta 7 inches and Charlotte 3 inches...??? Not likely.
If we were setting up a pattern where we had a parade of suppressed storms it's very likely. Fortunately, it doesn't appear to be the case. I think most if not all of us will do very well on the snow front this winter.

Well, I think I speak for everyone when I say you are due ! Crossing my fingers for a repeat of the Blizzard of 1899 !!! Lake Butler had 4" in that snowstorm !

2/1899 is probably the only active Southernwx member SE US board-wide storm over the last couple of hundred years. Not Phil’s and my only one, but the only one that also hit practically all in the SE quite hard. The very rare ones that have hit either or both us are often so suppressed that northern parts of the SE US often miss out. Great example: 12/1989.
Anyway, one can dream....
Edit: By the way, 2/1899 wasn’t during El Niño.

Last edited:
2/1899 is probably the only active Southernwx member SE US board-wide storm over the last couple of hundred years. Not Phil’s and my only one, but the only one that also hit practically all in the SE quite hard. The very rare ones that have hit either or both us are often so suppressed that northern parts of the SE US often miss out. Great example: 12/1989.
Another 2/1899. One can dream....
Edit: By the way, that wasn’t during El Niño.
... and eat a pizza while doing so ... ;)

Looks like the snow pack is going to be building up quickly in Canada the next couple of weeks.

This is sexy
6f4e9720676c96d121032f56b6e7392f.jpg

^^Fantasy Carolina snow in November, impressive.

It's just teasing us, it's not going to really happen. It's not real...doesn't mean anything for winter, it'll disappear the next cycle. Can't, won't believe....

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_61.png

^^Fantasy Carolina snow in November, impressive.

It's just teasing us, it's not going to really happen. It's not real...doesn't mean anything for winter, it'll disappear the next cycle. Can't, won't believe....

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_61.png
Lol, I hear ya. One thing to believe here, is that the pattern is shaping up to be stormy and strong cold fronts, so I can see something early this season if we keep getting models runs like these. I remember last year at this time someone on here said the same thing I'm saying, if we keep seeing the models spitting out cold solutions and in the LR, than something gonna eventually pop up. Im excited either way about this upcoming winter.

So, are we expecting La Nina or El Nino this winter? I know there are positives with both here.
seriously..
f11a00aa5c7cac2feef783794d571434.png
48f3db9bc9cd5cf842a6afbe99185295.png

Where is the month of January when you need it....

if we get this storm in late December with the same 2m and 850 anomolies its an absolute crush job. Grief. If we can hold on to this pattern through winter’s entirety...

seriously..

if we get this storm in late December with the same 2m and 850 anomolies its an absolute crush job. Grief. If we can hold on to this pattern through winter’s entirety...

I'm not sure if what's shown for mid November can get much better. +PNA (west coast ridge) east coast trough, -AO/-NAO, active split flow, lower heights off of the east coast, etc. It's SE Miller A central. I'm not jazzed about something frozen happening in November, but I'd like to think this could portend well for winter if it holds a while. But I refuse to get my hopes up!

Back