• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

Phil,
Yeah, perhaps that's a factor in the overall scheme of things. Now to be sure, wetter hasn't hurt but it also hasn't helped overall on average. I was a little surprised about these findings but not shocked.
Just tossing an idea ... seen it snow with low RH when very cold ... (seen it snow with high RH but not in the SE so much; usually high RH is preceding a front our way) ... so just a thought, and not a statement ... :cool:

As Phil touched on, cold has to be the most important because of ratios. If you get arctic air and .2 of precip, you could get 4” of snow with 20:1 ratios from a clipper

As Phil touched on, cold has to be the most important because of ratios. If you get arctic air and .2 of precip, you could get 4” of snow with 20:1 ratios from a clipper

True and colder means more sticking ability also but I think there’s more to it than just those things as the average total liquid equivalent for all wintry precip at Atlanta was much higher during on average during cold winters vs warm ones.

We do much better with frozen slop around here. 2” of precip = 2” of snow :( yay!

We do much better with frozen slop around here. 2” of precip = 2” of snow :( yay!
It’s funny to me that ATL is colder than us during clippers an arctic fronts and get 2 or 3 snow jams ! We always get enough Southerly flow to help us avoid those! I’ve never heard of Greenville having a “snow jam”!? I want Chipper to come pluck me off I-85 , with his 4 wheeler, because I got stuck in a 1/2”of snow!

Last edited:
It’s funny to me that ATL is colder than us during clippers an arctic fronts and get 2 or 3 snow jams ! We always get enough Southerly flow to help us avoid those! I’ve never heard of Greenville having a “snow jam”!? I want Chipper to come pluck me off I-85 , with his 4 wheeler, because I got stuck in a 1/2 of snow!
:(

Atlanta got lucky last year. If that swath of 8-12in was over downtown and not Dallas that would have been a real SnowJam.
So you are saying all the snow lovers in Atlanta got lucky last winter that the heaviest snow missed to the N and W ?

So you are saying all the snow lovers in Atlanta got lucky last winter that the heaviest snow missed to the N and W ?
Snow lovers no. People driving downtown like I was yes. I was driving back from Vila Rica and thought it was going to make to ATl but as always it didn’t. I wanted 8-10 and not 1in. I’m more talking about E ATL really. As everyone knows we have been unlucky the past few years.

Sadly, I think he’s basing this off his Asia snowcover in October theory, which has proven to crap! And I wanna hear about that 0.4 of a degree, when your sitting at 32.4 and wondering why it’s raining!:D
It rains at every temperature at my house, unfortunately. :(

Read a post on amx, cohen is touting today the possibility of a pv split, think cfs model, eastern seaboard gets a real deal early start to winter.

We flip to November in a few days. That means its officially pattern chasing season for those of us who turn over every leaf possible, looking for any and all types of winter weather. I usually wait till mid month to zero in, start watching 15 day model runs, tracking teleconnections etc. But this year lots of potential. Time is here for verefication, shut up or put up time as far as strength , location of el nino, how the atlantic is gonna set up, NE pacific etc.

Last edited:
Back