• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

We should DEFINITELY get some snow with -20 - -40 degree temps! Bring it!
That map is 500mb anomalies .... not temps. It does indicate lower than normal pressures during the winter, which would indicate stormier than normal conditions. I really like the look of that NW Canada ridge.

I'll wait for a month or two, if the Euro still has that look in October/November then I'll get excited.

That map is 500mb anomalies .... not temps. It does indicate lower than normal pressures during the winter, which would indicate stormier than normal conditions. I really like the look of that NW Canada ridge.
Haha yeah man, I was kidding. But I agree with you...I like the look of that depiction -- lower heights, a tendency for a southern storm track, hopefully some blocking over the top -- all good stuff. Maybe we can throw in a -20 for a kicker! :)

not sure if this has been posted already... (delete if necessary). Yeah, it's DT, but I found this video very informative, good learning material for beginners, or if you need a refresher:

not sure if this has been posted already... (delete if necessary). Yeah, it's DT, but I found this video very informative, good learning material for beginners, or if you need a refresher:

It was posted but worth taking another look at. If things stay on track we will be in line for quite an interesting winter.

All I can add is the spiders around here have been going bat ship crazy since late July. Now...now, they've started something new that has me very worried. They are dangling leaves from 50 foot stands anywhere from a foot to 5 feet in the air. They are either hunting extremely large caterpillars, or, maybe and/or, deer. Either case is beyond frightening. If I go outside I wear a netting of webs, no matter where I walk, and if these suckers are fishing for deer, watch out this winter. They are storing up supplies. Sometimes at night when I walk out there I feeling like I'm flying...but I've had some medicine head lately, so it could be that.... just don't what to think about them getting ambitious enough to try reeling me in, and I'm an extra large guy. And now I have a hurricane wanting to cut off and drift around over me. Last time that happened there was a 100 foot rooster tail of water at the spill way at the reservoir. There was so much rain bodies were washing up out of their graves. Throw in deer hunting spiders, and, maybe 3 foot wooly worms, and this could be a winter to remember. Not scientific, I realize, but remember we had first hand accounts, and anecdotes, way before we had weather....just saying!

All I can add is the spiders around here have been going bat ship crazy since late July. Now...now, they've started something new that has me very worried. They are dangling leaves from 50 foot stands anywhere from a foot to 5 feet in the air. They are either hunting extremely large caterpillars, or, maybe and/or, deer. Either case is beyond frightening. If I go outside I wear a netting of webs, no matter where I walk, and if these suckers are fishing for deer, watch out this winter. They are storing up supplies. Sometimes at night when I walk out there I feeling like I'm flying...but I've had some medicine head lately, so it could be that.... just don't what to think about them getting ambitious enough to try reeling me in, and I'm an extra large guy. And now I have a hurricane wanting to cut off and drift around over me. Last time that happened there was a 100 foot rooster tail of water at the spill way at the reservoir. There was so much rain bodies were washing up out of their graves. Throw in deer hunting spiders, and, maybe 3 foot wooly worms, and this could be a winter to remember. Not scientific, I realize, but remember we had first hand accounts, and anecdotes, way before we had weather....just saying!
Spiders crazy here also!

I absolutely love reading your posts. You have a very descriptive way of expressing the world around you.

Spiders crazy here also!

Tony ... Its the dadgum crazy people that are raising an eyebrow ... in fact, the brow is
getting stuck in an upward position ... portends something ...

Last edited:
Spiders crazy here also!
Had a spider string a web between the garage and a vehicle and connect to the driveway in a large web a month or two ago here. I know the web worms have been going crazy here and have been winding down. Haven't been able to just look around in general much but If the spiders are crazy up there and down there, they have to be here too.

Had a spider string a web between the garage and a vehicle and connect to the driveway in a large web a month or two ago here. I know the web worms have been going crazy here and have been winding down. Haven't been able to just look around in general much but If the spiders are crazy up there and down there, they have to be here too.
They are bad this summer here too, it’s like walking a hunted maze every morning walking to my truck, left my window cracked last week.... let’s just say it was a long week.

Tony ... Its the dadgum crazy people that are raising an eyebrow ... in fact, the brow is
getting stuck in an upward position ... portends something ...
Man, you got that right! Everywhere I turn I see crazy. It helps me immensely that I fit right in...except for the bad ugly crazy. On the less dangerous side I've noticed stuff for all my life, and I think I'm noticing more stuff...unusual stuff...than in the past...and bunched up. Stuff would only appear once in a while, and this year alone I've had a coolish summer while every one else suffered. I'm had way more rain (near 20 inches since mid May, but I lost my count..so it's just a guess...and it's slacked way off in frequency and quantity lately), which I'm sure kept it cool. A few years ago I had 18 inches in a two week period in Dec. I was in the lake country. The last two years I had clouds of mosquitos. Freaking clouds....just like the nature movies...only real, and on me like glue. Never ever has seen anything like that, and the second place winner was terrible, early in the century. I went thru a dozen cans of Off. It got where I couldn't go out side for long, even soaking in deet. This year? Not a noticeable irritant until July. Been here since 2000 and never even knew I had exceptional spiders until 4 years ago when they started building super highways thru the trees, and down to low objects. Never even knew they were there, much less capable. I've had the longest span between sleddable frozen, in my sledding lifetime...since 2005. How is that possible?? I'm usually a good guy.
Just had the almost post card stuff, if that's lots of red clay in between patches. I've seen some of the hottest weather I've ever seen, in terms of avg, and down near my record lows... under 10 degrees less. I had the most memorable late afternoon fall color extravaganza one evening last fall, where all the trees and plants seem to turn it up all at once, and even the poison ivy was beautiful. The next morning it was gone.... I know it happened like that, but I'm colorblind...so I see some stuff anyway, lol. The stuff that really sticks out seems to be increasing in frequency, and even weirdness. I mean I've noticed stuff since I was pretty young (the storm that made me love weather was in grammar school...like a prepubescent weather freak with no access to anything weather related, lol, but mostly in winter where I would soak up anything anyone said even remotely related to weather, and honed the ability to withstand the soul wrenching life of a lover of frozen, in the deep south), and I would have noticed freaky stuff like this for sure. They would be fireside tales.

Yeah, I have huge sacks of worms around here too.... and that's way out of norm, at least I've never seen it down here like this in 18 years. They are everywhere. And not just one or two every few years. I mean take over the world type worm bags, lol. Everything else is so weird that skipped my mind.
I have the yellow jacket nest from hell I'm dealing with now. They got inside the tarp over my tiller, and I can't get at them. I've already gone thru one can of 30 foot stuff, and all they do is sniff it the next day, and buzz around like they really want to tear someone up. I even went so far as the pull on the tarp with a long stick, and a flashlight, and a huge can of blast 'em. That is some brave stuff, ladies, I'm a manly man, lol, shaking in my shoes, and ready to squeal, and dance, when they came out at me, but all they did was set up a loud hum, and backed me way, way off...I was moving like the wind. I'd leave them alone but they got on my dog two days ago, after biting me upon my discovery of them a few days before. I'm just not sure there is a fire quite like a good yellow jacket sting. It stands alone. I'll go whiz on their nest once it's safe, lol, that's how much I don't like yellow jackets.

Back