• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

1926-27 by far & away is my favorite winter in NC since the late 19th century, I hope to live to see one like this someday. It was actually quite mild overall, with February 1927 being the warmest one on record until a few years ago. This is definitely my kind of winter, warm overall, gets cold only when it "needs" to be then backs off & every time it gets cold, we get plastered with a huge winter storm.

These seasonal snowfall totals are mind boggling, the March 1927 blizzard didn't act completely alone, another nice event in early January 1927 solidified this winter's status as utterly legendary. The statewide seasonal snowfall average came out to nearly 19", almost 3 times higher than the climatological mean & it is NC's snowiest winter from 1895-96 thru 1934-35, just edging out 1898-99.

View attachment 6488

View attachment 6489
Good god 33 inches.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good god 33 inches.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah it puts a whole new perspective on what a big winter is in NC and how there are many instances where seasonal temps don't really mean much and 1926-27 takes that to the extreme, obviously it helps because seasonal snowfall and mean temperatures are weakly-moderately correlated but it explains only a small fraction of the variability in snowfall.. The snowfall average in your portion of northern Harnett county from 1895-96 thru 1926-27 is about 7.2", slightly higher than what Raleigh's is today. I've also noticed after sifting thru all the data, quality controlling & filling the gaps in between, modern snowfall averages in places like Winston-Salem for example are actually higher than what they were in the early 20th century, not everybody in the state is losing snow, in some cases it's actually increasing.

Last edited:
On the whole, North American winter snow cover extent is on the rise.
namgnld_season1.png

On the whole, North American winter snow cover extent is on the rise.
namgnld_season1.png
And fall is REALLY on the rise...

namgnld_season4.png
That's quite interesting. You would think that N America would lose snow due to GW over decades, but maybe it has to do with it in itself. I'm uncertain as to how to explain it other than maybe the warming caused more moisture in the atmosphere, and hence more snowfall. I'm probably wrong, and I'm sure someone has a better explanation.

And that is the most likely culprit. It's no different with minimum temps either, minimums have risen in part due to increased water vapor in the atmosphere.

Steve,
You've returned from a very long hiatus! Good to see you. Hopefully you'll stick around for awhile.
:) Thanks! I'll try. I stay pretty busy over on my Facebook page where I'm over 17,000 followers now, so I stay hopping, especially when the weather gets bad! :)

1926-27 by far & away is my favorite winter in NC since the late 19th century, I hope to live to see one like this someday. It was actually quite mild overall, with February 1927 being the warmest one on record until a few years ago. This is definitely my kind of winter, warm overall, gets cold only when it "needs" to be then backs off & every time it gets cold, we get plastered with a huge winter storm.

These seasonal snowfall totals are mind boggling, the March 1927 blizzard didn't act completely alone, another nice event in early January 1927 solidified this winter's status as utterly legendary. The statewide seasonal snowfall average came out to nearly 19", almost 3 times higher than the climatological mean & it is NC's snowiest winter from 1895-96 thru 1934-35, just edging out 1898-99.

View attachment 6488

View attachment 6489

tenor.gif

16FA0400-F713-4938-9658-CE960874694A.jpeg Not liking the looks of this! This is the absolute worst ( not one mention of snow and any possible cold month, above avg!!!!) that I have ever read from The Old Farmers Almanac!! Depressing, but luckily, I think they have about the same accuracy as JB!:D

Back