• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

I'm curious to see those changes too, I think they're likely not too divergent from the overall climatological snowfall distribution but there's definitely a hole in the max December values over Raleigh. I don't think we've observed the "big one" in December yet over the Triangle, I wouldn't be shocked if a 12-15" event in December came calling sometime in the next several decades
I'm sure there are plenty of 'nickle and dime" storms that keeps it from being too divergent from climo snow distribution, usually, at least for down east, those Dec systems are all or nothing with very few if any of the smaller events

Bearing Sea to GOA has ticked up over the past few weeks. Not to dissimilar from 13/14. #blob

Also, epac anomalies have increased.

oisst_anom_3d_globe_2018092500.png

I am becoming more cautiously optimistic we will have a colder than normal winter this year. With the heavy snow so far in Canada, the coming moderate El Nino, the low solar, the warm pool off the NW US coast, and the QBO and low solar combo, to me it is looking like we will have some blocking also finally. Whether I believe the 3-5 degree BN as shown on the Weatherbell forecast or not I am not as optimistic. I could see a 1-2 degree below normal winter which could work out fine for most of us as far as snow

Looks like the core of the cold anomalies has shifted west from the last run. Is that correct? Still looks good, though.

It looks EPOish, which in my experience, tends to favor Miller Bs and western areas of SC/NC. The precipitation anomalies look great, though. So I don’t know....

Looks like the core of the cold anomalies has shifted west from the last run. Is that correct? Still looks good, though.

It looks EPOish, which in my experience, tends to favor Miller Bs and western areas of SC/NC. The precipitation anomalies look great, though. So I don’t know....

Yeah overall it's still a great look for us, and yes high-latitude North Pacific blocking tends to favor miller type-B and cold air damming events in NC. Even if we had a North Atlantic blocking look which would then lead to more frequent Miller type As/coastal lows, Miller As especially in El Nino winters typically are kinder to the western piedmont and mountains of NC relative to the Triangle, with RDU often being completely screwed over (although Raleigh-Durham can still have above-well above average snowfall for the winter as a whole). The differences between the haves and have nots is often larger in winters like this and areas like Greensboro/Winston-Salem, Roxboro, Statesville, Mt Airy, etc whose snowfall climatology is at least 8-9" (or more) are typically the ones that cash in the most. Obviously this isn't always the case (I can think of a many winters that bucked this trend) but I'm just saying this is what seems to happen the most frequently in NC given an El Nino and active southern storm track. El Nino winters like 1904-05, 1923-24, 1930-31, 1939-40, 1941-42, 1957-58, 1965-66, 1986-87, 2002-03, 2009-10, 2014-15, & 2015-16 are classical examples that featured significantly larger than normal snowfall gradients between the Triangle & Triad even though both cities performed generally well.

Winter of 1904-05 NC Snowmap.png

Winter of 1923-24 NC Snowmap.png

I have a question relating to my difference in geographic location from many posters on this forum. Would Miller A track storms or Miller B track storms generally be more favorable for winter events for the lower MS valley?

I have a question relating to my difference in geographic location from many posters on this forum. Would Miller A track storms or Miller B track storms generally be more favorable for winter events for the lower MS valley?
I think you’re in the same boat as us. (Deep digging) Miller A or bust

Last edited:

You can also do pretty well with Apps Runners.

Back