• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

So this is my first post here, from south Louisiana. We usually don't get snow but every once in a while here in Baton Rouge. Last winter had a rare 2 snow events (that accumulated too!) plus lots of cold throughout January '18 ith the two major arctic events. Last time we picked up measurable snow down here was January of '14. I really hope the scales can tip and we get snow in two consecutive winters down here. I'm pretty optimistic since the folks around here who've seen more winters tell me that the last 20 years have seen more snow events than they can remember. But even that is less than 10. Hopefully if we can get plenty of blocking with an active southern jet there will be plenty of opportunities for us Gulf coasters to cash in!
Welcome, Will!
Nice to have you aboard!
Please keep us all abreast of anything that looks like it may be headed into your neck of the woods! Rain, sun, freeze ... and oh yes, frozen ... ;)
Also, if you're inclined, please join us on our Member Map (at the top of the page ... and if you do, remember to name yourself and don't remain a "point" ... :cool:)
Also, please make use of our Wiki, also at the top of the page ... it's full of really good info, archives, and quick links to just about everything weather. If you have something that's not in our Wiki that you feel needs to be included, let us know (ForsytheSnow or me in particular - though I'm not a staff member, just a crazy who loves weather) and we'll get it in there ... :D
Again, welcome aboard!
Best,
Your Curmudgeon

Welcome, Will!
Nice to have you aboard!
Please keep us all abreast of anything that looks like it may be headed into your neck of the woods! Rain, sun, freeze ... and oh yes, frozen ... ;)
Also, if you're inclined, please join us on our Member Map (at the top of the page ... and if you do, remember to name yourself and don't remain a "point" ... :cool:)
Also, please make use of our Wiki, also at the top of the page ... it's full of really good info, archives, and quick links to just about everything weather. If you have something that's not in our Wiki that you feel needs to be included, let us know (ForsytheSnow or me in particular - though I'm not a staff member, just a crazy who loves weather) and we'll get it in there ... :D
Again, welcome aboard!
Best,
Your Curmudgeon
Thanks! I look forward to sharing in discussions for any weather events (not just winter :) ) when I have the opportunity. I've always loved weather since childhood. I didn't pursue meteorology in college, preferring to have an amateur hobbyist interest in it.

Thanks! I look forward to sharing in discussions for any weather events (not just winter :) ) when I have the opportunity. I've always loved weather since childhood. I didn't pursue meteorology in college, preferring to have an amateur hobbyist interest in it.
Don't thank me ... you'll come to learn who the brains are ... and there's some awful good ones in here. They are the ones who deserve thanks ... :D
BTW - glad to see you're on the "map'! ;)
Have fun posting and
Best!
Phil

So this is my first post here, from south Louisiana. We usually don't get snow but every once in a while here in Baton Rouge. Last winter had a rare 2 snow events (that accumulated too!) plus lots of cold throughout January '18 ith the two major arctic events. Last time we picked up measurable snow down here was January of '14. I really hope the scales can tip and we get snow in two consecutive winters down here. I'm pretty optimistic since the folks around here who've seen more winters tell me that the last 20 years have seen more snow events than they can remember. But even that is less than 10. Hopefully if we can get plenty of blocking with an active southern jet there will be plenty of opportunities for us Gulf coasters to cash in!
Welcome aboard ..... always good to have post/observations to our southwest in winter.

thanks.. do you have a source for these possible accretion totals?

Not at the moment. I'm hypothesizing 2" may very well have occurred in the worst areas based on damage and rainfall of 2.5-4" since there was only ~1" of sleet and no snow. 0.25" starts damage. 0.50" causes major damage. 0.75"-1" is very bad. 2" would be historic and this was historic.

Lol its funny Dallas is on a near record snowless streak right now officially

But last winter it snowed in Austin and Corpus Christi and parts of Houston while we were high and dry which was really awful to watch :confused:
be patient, you're at that latitude where you'll get Oklahoma's sloppy seconds, when others further south won't, more times than not. I see a nice Dallas-Shreveport-Memphis snow this year.. based more on fantasy and witchcraft than actual meteorology.

2019_us_farmersalmanac_mediamap_winter-2.jpg
:weenie::weenie:

Somebody help me out here, are we in the chilly wintry mix area, or the Near normal temps and wet area?

So Louisiana looks like it gets colder than average temps with average precip? This map does look kind of El Nino-ish. I like the forecast map, especially for my area, but don't really know how accurate these tend to be.
These maps aren't accurate on point, but take all the 2018,2019 winter forecast and they do agree on an EL NINO patterm. So over all this map does look pretty reasonable as of now.

I can't help but think Farmer's Almanac just wants to put all ENSOs in cages and make Mexico pay for a solid East Coast winter storm.

Last edited:
Back