• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

That was a heck of a winter. Lots of snow in Georgia ! Then the next winter we had the blizzard.
because im the biggest nerd when it comes to historic snowstorms.. well eric is probably more of a nerd since he has a whole database full of his maps lol Capture.JPG
to find monthly report search storm data publications and navigate to the year/month.

it's been since Feb 2015 my backyard has seen a 6+ inch storm... we're due. lol

been since March 2015 since I've seen more than a dusting here(only have seen more since in NYC in February)

We're due :p

Spent most of my childhood in Texas, from age 7 to 19.. with a one year interval in San Fran Bay Area.. Saw snow once in Houston, and maybe 3 times in Austin. And only because the middle 80s had some historic Texas winters. I was always jealous of Dallas, because they got 'more' snow.. lol

You just need to pick a new city . Just don’t go to Macon Georgia or anywhere within 150 miles of Brick . #snowshields

If you want to talk about snow shields just take a look at where it snowed in relation to mby last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well regarding superstorm of 1993 I requested some data from noaa interest in wind speed/peak gusts... they had a peak gust of 60.8 which is awesome lol. KATL btw lol

Last edited:
because im the biggest nerd when it comes to historic snowstorms.. well eric is probably more of a nerd since he has a whole database full of his maps lol View attachment 5689
to find monthly report search storm data publications and navigate to the year/month.
that Jan 1992 storm is one of my all time favorites.... It begin late in the morning or early afternoon if I remember. I went to Shoneys that morning to eat breakfast and got back home and it started snowing soon after. Huge flakes. We had at least 6".

A lot of areas in GA had about 5 seasons worth of snowfall last winter so if this winter ends up being a dud, you really can't complain.
It couldn't get any worse than 2011-12 I'm sure. If I see a small storm and the rest of the winter is a dud I'll say it would be fine. On the other hand, if it's even better than last, I would have to wonder how many winters we are paying for over the two years.

A lot of areas in GA had about 5 seasons worth of snowfall last winter so if this winter ends up being a dud, you really can't complain.
Lol I’m sorry but areas east of I-85 haven’t seen a significant winter storm since 2014.. exception in the suprise ice storm in Athens ga back in 2015 but I wasn’t there for that. So, yeah I’ll complain not only have I gotten a sig. Storm but I’ve been tortured by snow gradients where areas 35NM NW of me got 10”. But Georgia as whole you really can’t...

Spent most of my childhood in Texas, from age 7 to 19.. with a one year interval in San Fran Bay Area.. Saw snow once in Houston, and maybe 3 times in Austin. And only because the middle 80s had some historic Texas winters. I was always jealous of Dallas, because they got 'more' snow.. lol

Lol its funny Dallas is on a near record snowless streak right now officially

But last winter it snowed in Austin and Corpus Christi and parts of Houston while we were high and dry which was really awful to watch :confused:

Lol its funny Dallas is on a near record snowless streak right now officially

But last winter it snowed in Austin and Corpus Christi and parts of Houston while we were high and dry which was really awful to watch :confused:
Man, you and I score this year ... (or not) ... in any event, it's worth selling a ticket for, just to watch the show ... btw ... not charging much on admission for the blizzard of '18 in Gainesville ... :confused:

So this is my first post here, from south Louisiana. We usually don't get snow but every once in a while here in Baton Rouge. Last winter had a rare 2 snow events (that accumulated too!) plus lots of cold throughout January '18 ith the two major arctic events. Last time we picked up measurable snow down here was January of '14. I really hope the scales can tip and we get snow in two consecutive winters down here. I'm pretty optimistic since the folks around here who've seen more winters tell me that the last 20 years have seen more snow events than they can remember. But even that is less than 10. Hopefully if we can get plenty of blocking with an active southern jet there will be plenty of opportunities for us Gulf coasters to cash in!

Back