• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2017-18 discussion

We always seem to get atleast one legit chance each winter, no matter how bad the winter is. Last years January 6th? Storm still stings lol. Tracked that thing for a week, staying up for the euro. Ended up with zilch.
Hopefully we see some good storms verify this year.

I don't think the pattern or whatever happened in the past that did or didn't give us good snow around here matters anymore. A couple of years ago we were supposed to have the biggest winter in years based on the pattern and what happened in the past with that pattern, and we hardly got anything. And we could just as easily get one huge storm and nothing else. I just don't think the pattern and indicies work now like they used to. Winter is just going to do what it's going to do when it comes to NC, especially the Triangle area, which always seems to be on the line.

One can only hope

IMG_8201.png

One can only hope

IMG_8201.png
For what - mass dysfunctional hysteria and cliff jumping across most of the SE? ... :eek:

actually, a map like that makes no sense ... it follows no known configuration, IMHO
and this is not even near time to start any reliable (if there is such a thing) winter forecasting ...

Last edited:
personally I'll believe it when I see it anyway(2 back to back horrible winters here, no wonder I have vacations up north this winter lol) but it's been spreading on the news here. :rolleyes:

Ryan Maue saying La Niña bringing lower temps globally this winter and wild winter weather, Glenn Burns riding the torch-train La Niña , it's a duel for the ages! Like left twix, right twix! :(

Ryan Maue saying La Niña bringing lower temps globally this winter and wild winter weather, Glenn Burns riding the torch-train La Niña , it's a duel for the ages! Like left twix, right twix! :(
Nah, I personally believe we will have the small air between the two LOL. Relatively dry and cold is where I think we will go. El- Nino has let us down too much.

Nah, I personally believe we will have the small air between the two LOL. Relatively dry and cold is where I think we will go. El- Nino has let us down too much.
You get me some sustained cold down here and for sure you'll be cold up there, in which case I'll use that snow blower machine to whip up a nice Gulf low to give you incoming southern overrunning - it's a promise (of sorts) ... ;)

Last edited:
La Nina watch activated by NOAA:

"In short, forecasters think that the sea surface in the Niño3.4 region will continue to cool, and the atmosphere will respond with a strengthened Walker circulation—the characteristics of La Niña. While chances of La Niña do have the edge in the current forecast, the odds only top out at about 60% likelihood that La Niña conditions will prevail in the winter. Climate forecasters will take this into consideration when developing the forecast for this coming winter, which will be released in October."

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/september-enso-update-la-niña-watch

BOO HISS

Snowpocalypse Was in 2011 correct. Wasn't that a El Nina year?
Snowpocalypse plus the Christmas snow here. The winter of 2010- 2011 was the best winter I have ever seen myself, and was a reverse of Joe Bastardi's forecast, which was warm for the south. I feel that Nino's lead to more busts than Ninas. Too many chances we had in the last several years and they mostly busted for a large group of us. A board wide event would be epic, even if it included Florida. Now I am just wishing .:rolleyes:

Back