• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2017-18 discussion

Snowpocalypse plus the Christmas snow here. The winter of 2010- 2011 was the best winter I have ever seen myself, and was a reverse of Joe Bastardi's forecast, which was warm for the south. I feel that Nino's lead to more busts than Ninas. Too many chances we had in the last several years and they mostly busted for a large group of us. A board wide event would be epic, even if it included Florida. Now I am just wishing .:rolleyes:

2009-2010 was the last Winter I can recall where El Nino was helpful and generous to Atlanta/N. GA. There was never a short supply of Gulf moisture or arctic air which is probably why I saw measurable snow in Atlanta every month (January 7?, 2010, February 12, 2010, and March 2, 2010) except December. The last snow event in Atlanta happened to be on the first day of Spring 2010! It didn't stick, but it was still an ironically weird sight to see. Even in December we had a few close calls where literally 1-3 degrees would have made all the difference in the world what a shame of wasted potential. That winter was also very cold, definitely much colder than 2010-2011 overall. It was consistently cold month to month with numerous arctic cold fronts that kept daytime temps within a range of upper 20s to upper 40s for several days at a time. It's unusual to get sustained cold like that down here during most of the Winter season. The main reason 2010/2011 was so epic was because of the persistent -NAO (Greenland Blocking) saved us from a dumpster La Nina torching up until post Valentines Day 2011. Spring pretty much kicked into full swing after that. I remember The Weather Channel constantly hyped how stubborn the Greenland Blocking was that winter.

Crap. Glenn Burns is saying this will be a WARM winter. We are doomed :(
Get your shovel, snow boots, and parka now while you can! It's gonna be a frigid winter.

do think this winter has chance to be warmer even than last winter... but depends on pdo... but one analog i think that deserves watching is the 84 85 winter... that winter started out a complete blow torch.... than in january 85... bottome fell out. memphis recorded over 25 inches of snow that winter...

do think this winter has chance to be warmer even than last winter... but depends on pdo... but one analog i think that deserves watching is the 84 85 winter... that winter started out a complete blow torch.... than in january 85... bottome fell out. memphis recorded over 25 inches of snow that winter...
If this winter is warmer than last winter we might go the entire year without ever getting at or below freeing LOL

I dont have anything to back me up, but i truly think this winter will actually be colder than last year and the year before. Sure, we may even have warm/mild days or nights, but i think overall this winter should be better. Seems like we can score pretty good with weak nina in the southeast. No matter what we have, El nino, La Nina or Neutral, we always will have our chances for winterstorms some sort.

I'll bet everything I own that this winter will not be warmer then last winter! Is it impossible? No but it's very unlikely.

Exactly, in my book the whole Siberian snow cover theory has been disproven.
Definitely agree but it's always good to have a nice snow pack for a cold air source. Maybe going from a super Nino to Nina this winter will allow the blocking to start again. Wishful thinking anyway. :weenie:

It would be great if winter is as exciting and busy as the hurricane season has been the last month. I don't think the long range forecasts matter at all, though. We've had winters that we were supposed to have record breaking snowfall based on the same setup in years past and didn't even get to average. We've had crappy winters where we had one storm that gave us the biggest snowfall ever. And I don't think all the indices and what happened in the past matter anymore. Things have changed, and it's pretty much just a shot in the dark when it comes to winter storms around here.

I remember wondering a month ago if hurricane season would ever start :eek: (even when Harvey started on the models a lot of people even here locally in Texas didn't believe it)

Perhaps winter will be the same result lmao

Back