• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2017-18 discussion

Any relationship between major hurricane landfalls and the following winters? 92-93 was a rough one but wonder how that correlates if even at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did analogues last year (run Cleo and Kate and compare them to last year's storms - Hermine and Matthew) and busted big time ... no help here ... :(

Any relationship between major hurricane landfalls and the following winters? 92-93 was a rough one but wonder how that correlates if even at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I say that's doubtful, no correlation.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

So if we were to remain in Neutral ENSO going into the Winter Months, I see that my location has had a few good Winter Storms in such years. 1994 looks to have been one of those and we saw a hell of an Ice Storm for the Delta Region of Mississippi. That was a crazy storm.

JB says his favorite model, CFSv2, has come around to a La Niña look and super long range Euro seasonal, now supports it! JB, you the man! :)

JB says his favorite model, CFSv2, has come around to a La Niña look and super long range Euro seasonal, now supports it! JB, you the man! :)
What about Cold Neutral? Is that still a possibility

So that's a cancel on Winter for the Southeast?
Winter cancelling this far out is a bit premature. Saying we will get a big dog is premature. Saying we will roast and torch is premature. Anything JB related can be thrown in the burn pile for all I care at the moment, unless it's a torch forecast. If he forecasts a torch for us, we may or may not be in for something good. I just have a feeling Christmas will be cold this year.

We have to wait on Kirk Mellish here in NGA. He has a great track record when it comes to winter predictions. Just ask him!

Looks like Siberia experienced an abnormal August snow according to the Siberian Times. I hope this season brings the goods for us in the SE!

Last edited:
This winter should be great. Even of there were a Lina or Nino, you can still score a winterstorm. Just like the saying it only takes 1, well it took Harvey and Irma.
Very true! Was searching around online and came across Iowa States archived AFD's from the MEG Office January 21st-22nd 2016 winter storm potential and how they spoke of possible blizzard conditions with that storm. Lol even though it busted terribly just reading that type of forecast over gets me excited for the upcoming season and the possibilities at hand.

Very true! Was searching around online and came across Iowa States archived AFD's from the MEG Office January 21st-22nd 2016 winter storm potential and how they spoke of possible blizzard conditions with that storm. Lol even though it busted terribly just reading that type of forecast over gets me excited for the upcoming season and the possibilities at hand.
The years i score i stay home, the years i dont i chase LOL!!

We always seem to get atleast one legit chance each winter, no matter how bad the winter is. Last years January 6th? Storm still stings lol. Tracked that thing for a week, staying up for the euro. Ended up with zilch.

Back