• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2017-18 discussion

Oops :)
accum.20101204.gif

accum.20101216.gif

View attachment 820
accum.20110110.gif

View attachment 821
Must a been JB forecast when he was with Accu.

Recently discovered this pair of Miller As in early-mid November 1968 that produced back to back snowfalls in portions of central NC, with the 2nd storm being stronger than the first and having more low level cold air to work with as a decent snowpack was laid down the spine of the Appalachians only a day or so earlier.
November 9-10 1968 NC Snowmap.png
November 11-12 1968 NC Snowmap.png

Nov-1968-NC-Snow-SLP-500mb-animation.gif

This ~-1 DJF may very well be the warmest by him for PA and the NE US overall in many years though I do wonder if he's using 1981-2010 to determine the anomalies. Regarding this forecast verifying, I'd be quite content with +1 for my area now knowing there won't be El Niño (barring a near miracle). A +1 DJF would mean an actual winter that is far colder than the prior 2. I don't expect accumulating SN/IP here due to the low odds of 1 in 8 based on 18 winters over the last 140 years getting it though the hope is always there. These numbers are excluding ZR. A much higher hope is for getting a trace of SN or IP, which isn't rare.

This ~-1 DJF may very well be the warmest by him for PA and the NE US overall in many years though I do wonder if he's using 1981-2010 to determine the anomalies. Regarding this forecast verifying, I'd be quite content with +1 for my area now knowing there won't be El Niño (barring a near miracle). A +1 DJF would mean an actual winter that is far colder than the prior 2. I don't expect accumulating SN/IP here due to the low odds of 1 in 8 based on 18 winters over the last 140 years getting it though the hope is always there. These numbers are excluding ZR. A much higher hope is for getting a trace of SN or IP, which isn't rare.
Yeah if you get a trace where your at, then thats a win. As for our inland peeps we may get in on some good action this winter. Great post larry.

Recently discovered this pair of Miller As in early-mid November 1968 that produced back to back snowfalls in portions of central NC, with the 2nd storm being stronger than the first and having more low level cold air to work with as a decent snowpack was laid down the spine of the Appalachians only a day or so earlier.
View attachment 830
View attachment 831

Nov-1968-NC-Snow-SLP-500mb-animation.gif
My brother told me the November 11-12, 1968 storm had thundersnow. Thanks for posting these accumulation maps of past snowstorms. I've enjoyed them!

I don't live in Florida but was just wondering what it takes for them to have below normal temps in the winter. Don't think I have ever seen them forecasted below normal for winter, guess El Niño years maybe. Maybe I answered my own question... lots of rain and clouds or a cold front like the one in 1899.

I don't live in Florida but was just wondering what it takes for them to have below normal temps in the winter. Don't think I have ever seen them forecasted below normal for winter, guess El Niño years maybe. Maybe I answered my own question... lots of rain and clouds or a cold front like the one in 1899.
Luck ... ;)

Back